UFC News and Discussion Thread

This isn't the first time UFC has gone into a "new" market and had the show shat on by the fans in attendance. People's expectations are generally way too high, stemming both from the superb marketing of UFC as well as the lack of huge main events to put on at every single show. The biggest fights aren't always going to be in the MGM Grand Garden Arena, but a place like Indianapolis isn't going to get Griffin-Couture or something on that scale for their first event in the region. The crowd in Philadelphia I think scared UFC away from going to untested cities with rather big cards.

Michigan is getting their first taste of UFC in November (well, first since the early days when Shamrock and Severn were the top guys), so we will see another new market tested. Should be interesting, and I'd like to go myself but don't know if I will have the money. They're giving us two good fights in Rampage/Machida and Penn/Hughes, not sure what the rest of the card is.

It comes back to that argument of is their too many shows a year. I mean we've seen before that sometimes the card with the starpower aren't the best compared to the cards with a lack of starpower.

I haven't watched the event yet because being honest i didn't think it was worth staying up until 6AM for but from stuff i've read it didn't sound the best. Still gonna watch the fights though eventually

Wasn't bad, surprised Dunham's cut didn't get the fight stopped, and I can't really argue the decision. Not to say that Sherk particularly deserved the win, but had Dunham won, I wouldn't be complaining either. I still hate Frank fucking Mir. What the fuck were they chatting about when they were up against the cage? It was a dreadful fight as it was, don't get all pally and chatty as well!

Anyone ever listen to Joe Rogan's webcast? I'm watching/listening now and they just referred to humans as "an iPhone app from iPhone 82 or something like that". Pretty much classic Rogan talking about weed and what's real and what's artificial, but really makes you think about certain things.

[EDIT] Really worth a listen just for the lightly touched story he just referred to of himself, Mark Coleman and Eddie Bravo carrying a cooler full of Budweiser into a bar and having them serve it back to the them after hours.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

So I'm already pretty hyped for the next UFC event as it falls around my birthday and so have organised a table at Hooters and a bunch of mates to go get drunk and watch the action. I think I'm more hyped for Condit/Hardy than the main event though, I just think the fight is too close to call and it has serious potential to be a MOTYC. I think I'm going to cheer on Bisping over Sexyama if only to annoy my mate and Hathaway/Pyle should be a good bout as well.

So I'm already pretty hyped for the next UFC event as it falls around my birthday and so have organised a table at Hooters and a bunch of mates to go get drunk and watch the action. I think I'm more hyped for Condit/Hardy than the main event though, I just think the fight is too close to call and it has serious potential to be a MOTYC. I think I'm going to cheer on Bisping over Sexyama if only to annoy my mate and Hathaway/Pyle should be a good bout as well.

I'm going, and it's ON my birthday. :pervert:

I love me some Bisping though, and hope he pulls out the win.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I don't mind this match at all. It's maybe not the best idea from a business standpoint, but from a sport standpoint, putting two (basically) undefeated prospects on the cusp of stardom against each other just seems like a great idea.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Yeah, but I give UFC shit all the time for putting too much emphasis on what's best for business, because they do. As a fan, I'm interested in finding out who the best fighters are, not in seeing Bader/Franklin or any other match clearly designed with a winner in mind. Besides, nobody will care that Jones lost to Bader once Bader is champion (or vice-versa).

Now that I've thought about it a bit it makes more sense. The winner is an instant contender and the loser can get Franklin or someone else, one lose doesn't hurt someone as bad as most people think, especially in the UFC where opponents aren't hand-picked.

I dunno. I'm not a huge fan of the idea. Bader to me still isn't on the cusp in most fans eyes. Lil Nog hasn't had a real run yet so I don't think Bader winning established him that much. Jones on the other hand is massively popular. If Jones wins it doesn't add much to his mystique, if Bader wins it hurts Jones in establishing him. This fight isn't Valesquez vs. JDS (which they avoided but would have had less of an impact on the loser). They needed to feed a Griffin or a Rampage to Bader first I think.

I think the fights a good idea, it propels one right into the hunt for the title and the loser it doesn't hurt them to bad they'll still be in the top tier and just need a few wins, whereas if they lost to say Franklin that loss would hurt them more.

Antonio McKee looks set to make his UFC debut against Jacob Volkmann according to mmajunkie at UFC 125

edit: Also what is the deal with the UFC always giving us English guys subtitles... <_<

Edited by davidmarrio