UFC News and Discussion Thread

I think Jones is already ready. If he loses in a title fight it won't hurt, there is no need to establish him further. He's young and exciting and no way is he less ready than Dan Hardy was. I really don't think he needs the eliminator, especially not against a guy who isn't on the tip of MMA fans tongues. My guess is it's supposed to establish one of these guys.

My argument would be that the easiest way to establish them is to give them a fight against the best to prove they belong, not against each other. I think the issue is that the LHW division has been booked so far in advance due to Shogun's injury that they are out of choices. For mine if you want an eliminator throw Jones against Machida or Evans and Bader against Jackson. Neither of which is currently possible.

In reality though the best fight for Jones is Shogun. Jones fights a similar style but has better wrestling. It would be a fun fight on paper and there is a decent chance Jones takes it and looks good doing it. I don't see him being totally outclassed.

Griffin/Franklin I'm interested in. Carwin/Nelson, not so much.

Someone over at DVDVR asked about the possibility of a triple-threat MMA match and is getting roasted for it (for obvious reasons). But someone pointed out the main reason it wouldn't work: If two fighters have submissions on the other fighter at the same time and he taps, who wins?

(Though I'd love to see if it was a three way dance MMA fight and involved Tito Ortiz and 2 fighters who hate his guts.....)

*edit* Forgot to ask: Is there still talk about Batista possibly doing MMA, or has that crap finally died down?

Edited by GhostMachine

Maybe it would be under elimination rules.

That's the only way I could see it work.

And you'd definitely have to have fighters from 3 different camps that aren't allied, so you have less of a chance of two fighters deciding to double team one or plan teamwork strategy before the fight.

I actually think tag team MMA might work. Provided you used a ring and didn't allow double teaming, that is. But I wouldn't want to see it as anything other than an exhibition. Tag teaming in MMA would suck as a regular thing.

Griffin/Franklin I'm interested in. Carwin/Nelson, not so much.

Someone over at DVDVR asked about the possibility of a triple-threat MMA match and is getting roasted for it (for obvious reasons). But someone pointed out the main reason it wouldn't work: If two fighters have submissions on the other fighter at the same time and he taps, who wins?

(Though I'd love to see if it was a three way dance MMA fight and involved Tito Ortiz and 2 fighters who hate his guts.....)

*edit* Forgot to ask: Is there still talk about Batista possibly doing MMA, or has that crap finally died down?

Batista confirmed it himself during an interview with MMA Supremacy.. AND I QUOTE! [link]

"I will not be doing MMA/Strikeforce any time soon. So you can see me in the future of the WWE."

Also, Jose Aldo's manager wants Frankie Edgar next and Struve/McCorkle is set for UFC 124.

Good, because Batista doing MMA is something I DO NOT want to see. Maybe if he was about 10-15 yrs younger and not injury prone....

But I'd like think that what really happened is he wanted to go to UFC, not Strikeforce, but they couldn't get a deal done:

They were willing to concede letting his cut man, trainers, and other member his entourage come in separately from him. After all, he walks alone.

But they refused to rename the octagon `The Pit of Danger', and that was the dealbreaker.

:P

I was hoping for a big MMA battle royal myself. Just throw everybody from one weight class in, and last man standing wins. Sounds great to me.

Watch the Shine Fights Lightweight Grand Prix and you'll see how an MMA Battle Royal would work... OVER THE TOP ROPE!

• Like 1

Maybe it would be under elimination rules.

No.

Fighter 1 has Fighter 2 in a rear naked choke. Fighter 3 can then easily mount and GnP both of them in quick sucession. Failing that, it's dangerous, someone is going to get caught with an unguarded shot and suffer a serious injury.

I actually think tag team MMA might work. Provided you used a ring and didn't allow double teaming, that is. But I wouldn't want to see it as anything other than an exhibition. Tag teaming in MMA would suck as a regular thing.

Tag team MMA has been done - the ZST promotion, for one, have done several bouts. It's set up so that you can double team for a 5 count after tagging, and if there is no winner after a set amount of rounds then it's sudden death with all four fighters in the ring at the same time. It's just an absolute mess though. There are a few on Youtube.

What about Ladder matches? Hell in cell? Falls count anywhere? 14-man elimination-style tag-team turmoil flag on a pole tables match inside a cage? Please?

Anyway, other rumored matches:

Dan Miller vs Joe Doerken and Jim Miller vs Charles Oliveira at UFC 124 --> Nice to see Oliveira so soon again. Was impressed with his first two wins! Jim Miller should make an excellent matchup (guy that also likes to grapple).

Nate Diaz Vs Dong Hyun Kim --> Nice matchup. Winner is a title contender imo...

I would like to see Aldo vs Edgar but I think 'in return' WEC should get a couple of lightweights from UFC. I'm thinking the likes of Diego Sanchez, Clay Guida or Joe Stevenson. Exciting guys that are just beneath the title picture but could seriously challenge Ben Henderson at 155 in WEC (and provide some fast-paced WEC-style action). The UFC lightweight roster is big enough anyway...

WEC really should either cut the Lightweight division entirely or take the guys on the second-tier in the UFC's division. I would, obviously, prefer the latter. However, if they get rid of Lightweight then we might see the inception of a Flyweight division which would be awesome. Since they haven't gotten around to upholding their promise yet. Or, you know, we could have both divisions around and I doubt anyone would complain.

Edited by damshow

Fuck yes, that's got FOTN written all over it - both veterans that are coming off big wins (especially Gomi). With every match that gets added to 125, I'm getting more of a feeling that the main event (Edgar vs. Maynard) will be really disappointing in comparison.

UFC sued some guy because of illegal streaming. [link]

UFC sues British man over online streaming of events

By Steve Green

Monday, Oct. 11, 2010 | 1:45 a.m.

The Las Vegas-based Ultimate Fighting Championship is suing a British man and wants a court order blocking him from airing pirated UFC broadcasts.

Zuffa LLC, owner of the UFC, filed suit Friday in U.S. District Court in Las Vegas against Daniel Wallace of Selsey, West Sussex, England.

Attorneys for Zuffa with the Las Vegas office of the law firm Lewis and Roca LLP charge in the suit that Wallace's website, livevss.tv (associated with livevss.net), has carried unauthorized live-streaming video of UFC events including UFC 119 on Sept. 25.

"Given that events are streamed for free on defendant’s website, defendant derives revenue from selling advertising space on the website such that the viewer is continuously bombarded with 'pop up' ads during any given broadcast," the lawsuit says.

"Based upon defendant’s history of offering 'live streaming' of plaintiff’s past events, as well as those of other MMA (mixed martial arts) providers, plaintiff believes that defendant will similarly offer an unauthorized 'live streaming' video of UFC 120 on Oct. 16, the date of the event (in London)," the lawsuit alleges.

"Plaintiff believes that defendant will 'live stream' UFC 120 to Internet viewers for free," the suit said, suggesting unauthorized broadcasts would undermine the authorized live broadcast on Spike TV in the United States and the pay-per-view broadcast in Australia.

A message for comment on the lawsuit was left with Wallace.

The lawsuit accuses him of copyright infringement and seeks a court order blocking him from copying, displaying and distributing UFC broadcasts as well as damages of $150,000 per infringement, attorneys fees and legal costs and forfeiture of any revenue derived from the allegedly unauthorized broadcasts.