UFC News and Discussion Thread

Ahh man they really need to overhaul MMA judging. 10-point must just doesn't work for three-round fights.

I addressed it after the Edgar fight, but a scoring scale that counts up as in amateur wrestling is going to see a ton of guys just go into a takedown focused style that nets them points without putting themselves in too much danger unless they're against a skilled wrestler or skilled BJJ practitioner.

But the 10-point scale really doesn't work for a three-round fight, I agree. You could absolutely dominate a round, and then the next 2 rounds are fairly even, and end up losing or drawing the fight. It's a flawed scoring system, but it's become the standard so I don't know how to change things.

God damn, what a finish by (spoiler'd incase someone cares about Kampmann vs Alvez)

Martin Kampmann over Thiago Alvez.

Final minute of the third round, fight definitely looks like it's going to the judges. Alvez gets Kampmann stumbling with a shot and goes to finish him. Alvez tackles him into the cage before going for the takedown off the cage, looking for sure like he was about to finish it but Kampmann manages to lock in a guillotine on his way to the mat and ends up in mount with it locked in, forcing Alvez to tap soon after. Good fight with a great surprise ending.

Edited by Mountainous Cleavage

The Australian commisioner has admitted to fucking up, and misread one of the cards, DJ vs McCall has actually been scored a draw by 2 judges, and should've gone to a 4th round, they will now have to do a rematch.

God damn, what a finish by (spoiler'd incase someone cares about Kampmann vs Alvez)

Martin Kampmann over Thiago Alvez.

Final minute of the third round, fight definitely looks like it's going to the judges. Alvez gets Kampmann stumbling with a shot and goes to finish him. Alvez tackles him into the cage before going for the takedown off the cage, looking for sure like he was about to finish it but Kampmann manages to lock in a guillotine on his way to the mat and ends up in mount with it locked in, forcing Alvez to tap soon after. Good fight with a great surprise ending.

It is Alves with an "S".

Good card, the one good thing about the comission fuck up is that we will get to see that fight again, I really appreciated Uncle Creepy's effort in that fight.

It was my first time seeing McCall and my word do I love him. Mainly the moustache, but the dude put in so much effort it was insane. Definitely look forward to the rematch.

I don't see how anyone scored it a draw though, Mighty Mouse won the first two rounds, McCall won the third, everyone I watched it with scored it that way. Am pleased for Kampwho? though, much prefer him over Alves.

10-9, 10-9, 8-10

28-28 draw

One of the judges scored it 29-29, with the 1st being a 10-10, which isn't even possible under the 10pt must system.

One of the judges scored it 29-29, with the 1st being a 10-10, which isn't even possible under the 10pt must system.

It is a legitimate use of the the system to call a round 10-10, depending on the athletic commission and their rules, also there was somewhere that was trialling using half points.

Yes, a 10-10 round is possible, I had an argument with Mauro Ranallo once on twitter about it, I was wrong. :(

You were never going to win an argument with Ranallo, also you should know by now you're usually wrong <_<

Guest mr. potato head

From the Jan. 2, 1995, Wrestling Observer. I know Compuserve isn't exactly analogous to the Internet, but I feel like Meltzer's technological knowledge was a little lacking here.

(Context: UFC IV cut off in many markets before the Gracie/Severn fight finished.)

Compuserve, which the promotion went on-line with after the show, partially because so many didn't know the outcome, set an all-time record for any conference in its history for the post-match of UFC IV.