UFC News and Discussion Thread

Unlike the Welterweight division, the Middleweight division is pretty bare, and a path to the title there is pretty bare. The UFC could squeeze a few more dollars out of him for sure. He is a pretty marketable fighter, though there's no way he could actually win the belt.

Yeah, I agree that he's marketable (though a lot of that comes from his image as the biggest douchebag in the UFC), and that he would have a chance to earn a title shot more easily than at WW. But, like we both said, I don't see him beating either Silva or Sonnen (or whoever else may be champ at that time).

Guest mr. potato head

Yeah, Koscheck would draw more than pretty much any middleweight challenger who hasn't been tried already, and he *might* even have a shot against Silva given Silva's difficulty with good wrestlers. Wouldn't be a pretty fight though.

Yeah, Koscheck would draw more than pretty much any middleweight challenger who hasn't been tried already, and he *might* even have a shot against Silva given Silva's difficulty with good wrestlers. Wouldn't be a pretty fight though.

See, I'd disagree, cause Koscheck, at least for the last few fights, hasn't really USED his wrestling (except for this last fight which I didnt' see, so I don't actually know how that went). He's seemed more like he wants to go out there and rely on getting a big knockout shot rather than take things to the ground. Of course, if he were to fight Silva, you'd think he would know he HAS to take things to the ground.

And yeah, Chael would make him look silly at the press conferences, which would be amusing.

Guest mr. potato head

Everyone he's fought since GSP has been a wrestler though (Mike Pierce even gave Jon Fitch fits at that game). Maybe he's been thinking he doesn't want to risk not being the better wrestler when he considers himself the better striker. Silva presents a very different kind of challenge.

Ok, so Cody McKenzie lost 2, then won ONE, against a no name newcomer.. so of course the logical next move? Drop down to featherweight to face Chad Mendes at UFC 148.

Should be a good fight, and I honestly think that the winner would stand a good chance against Cruz coming off of his surgery and recovery. One thing that I was thinking about (and I'm sure has been pointed out many times already) is that so much of Cruz's game is based around his speed and movement, that it makes you wonder if he'll be nearly as good when he comes back. I know he'll have the best rehab and all of that, but still, that kind of injury isn't easy to come back from, and just look at the NFL where some running backs/wide receivers NEVER fully are 100% afterwards. I'm sure he'll still be good, but just HOW good?

• Like 1

So TMZ is reporting that Jon Jones totaled his car and got arrested for DUI. Then got bailed out by his mom. Wow. Just...wow.

God dammit.. I was just coming in to report this..

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/5/19/3030840/ufc-champion-jon-jones-arrested-dui-driving-under-influence

and now as a proud Jones hater who gives him credit where it's due..

133610405198.gif

Guest mr. potato head

Today in rather unexpected news (from Meltzer, and not unexpected just because her last name turns out not to really be Celeste):

Arianny Lopez, the UFC ring girl, was arrested at 7:30 a.m. today on charges of domestic violence.

Details aren't available but she was being held on $3,000 bond. Contrary to the TMZ.com report, she is not still being held (although the Clark County Detention Center web site still lists are as being in). She is actually right around the corner as we speak.