UFC News and Discussion Thread

That was a really fun show...even though the fights were generally quick, the finishes were fun. I'm pretty sure Royce needs a new arm after Hughes' massacre of his old one. Credit to Gracie though, that was a crazy calm look on his face.

Also, Alessio wearing Sanchez like a backpack was fun. Never seen a back mount like that go that long....but Sanchez won 30-27 in my book, so I guess I'm in the minority on that one. Personally, I have no clue how anyone could score him the loser.

Not really looking forward to any UFC shows until UFC 62....Sylvia/AA 3 will be as short as all the other ones, whoever wins won't have too much competition for a while IMO. Shamrock/Ortiz is unnecessary. I don't think I really have to expand on that.

Liddell/Babalu and Sanchez/Parisyan look to be more entertaining and even to me, hopefully they happen at 62, or I might be quite bored for the next couple months.

I had Sanchez @ 30-27 too. He pressed the action and didn't get hit that badly either. He got in just as many shots in those rounds, and in R3 he did in the last 15 seconds was land a lot of punches, and that is what he should have been doing to begin with when he was trying to apply the armbar.

Royce's clam no expression while having his arm bent was astonishing...simply amazing.

UFC61 to me seems just amazing. While everyone is talking about Liddel/BabaluII at some point, I don't think it'll last any longer than the Heavyweight Championship bout. Liddel by KO in about 37 seconds.

Guest Takayamanofear

Decent show, but like I said in an earlier thread it did not have the feel of a great UFC. I thought 59 was a lot better just because you had a couple back and forth fights. This one seemed like watching a episode of WWE superstars back in the day they were just one sided contest. I am more interested in what comes out of this apparent UFC K-1/Heros talent exchange. Right now I would like to see two match ups in the heavyweight division. Andrei and Vera, Lebanner and Sylvia even though I can see Hero’s if they are on a talent exchange brining new life into the near dead UFC heavyweight division.

This one I thought was a bad show for UFC they built up the Staples Center thing and then they kind of brought out a pretty meh show. It built up some guys but I don’t think this was the show to do it.

Guest WCWWCWWCW

I think it was awesome. I mean seeing Matt Hughs beating Royce on the ground. I wanted Diego Sanchez (srry about spelling) to win, but it was close. Here is how I scored it, with Sanchez being the first number.

9-10

10-9

10-9

but the second round could be the other way. Also that one lower card fight was good, one that they played from earlier in the night. It had the guy that got his forehead busted open, and eventually took a huge flying knee to the head.

• 5 weeks later...

Ultimate Fight Night - Wednesday 28th

---------------------------------------------------

Main Event: Chris Leben Vs. Anderson Silva

Rashad Evans Vs. Stephan Bonnar

Jonathan Goulet Vs. Luke Cummo

Jon Fitch Vs. Thiago Alves

Dave Menne Vs. Josh Koscheck

Branden Lee Hinkle Vs. Jason Lambert

Mark Hominick Vs. Jorge Gurgel

Rob MacDonald Vs. Kristian Rothaermel

Justin Levens Vs. Jorge Santiago

UFC 61: Bitter Rivals - July 8th

------------------------------------

Main Event #1: Tim Sylvia© Vs. Andrei Arlovski - UFC Heavyweight Championship

Main Event #2: Tito Ortiz Vs. Ken Shamrock

Dan Christison Vs. Frank Mir

Josh Burkman Vs. Josh Neer

Yves Edwards Vs. Joe Stevenson

Hermes Franca Vs. Roger Huerta

Drew Fickett Vs. Kurt Pellegrino

Jeff Monson Vs. Anthony Perosh

Gilbert Aldana Vs. Cheick Kongo

For the UFC61 PPV I created an EWB Fantasy Predictions League at http://www.ufc.com

Just sign-up, the look for the league EWB UFC61, and the password is armbar

I'm really looking forward to the Leben/Silva fight. Silva is a legit contender and highly regarded as a guy who could take Franklin's title. Leben has beat everyone put in front of him so far and has looked pretty good against everyone. Didn't look too motivated in his last fight against Luigi but I believe that was his 5th fight for the UFC that hasn't been on PPV it might be hard to get motiviated sometimes.

Leben has a iron chin and even hard hands and it should be a good one to watch. Silva's last win came when he missed a punch but brought his arm back and elbowed the guy in the face and knocked him out. Coined it the "Anderson Elbow."

Seriously, is Ultimate Fight Night going to be known as Bonnar Fight Night or something? He is almost always on it. Give this guy a major PPV fight. I loved his comments on the SpikeTV.com live preshow about how Griffin gets the top names while they don't give him any. Bonnar deserves top fights just as much as Griffin does.

Seriously, is Ultimate Fight Night going to be known as Bonnar Fight Night or something? He is almost always on it. Give this guy a major PPV fight. I loved his comments on the SpikeTV.com live preshow about how Griffin gets the top names while they don't give him any. Bonnar deserves top fights just as much as Griffin does.

Many people including myself felt that Keith Jardine beat Bonnar at Ultimate Fight Night a few months ago. Bonnar may have beat Griffin thats arguable it was a super close fight but his last fight against Jardine he just didn't look all that great just like Leben didn't look all that great although Leben's competition wasn't as good. Do I think Bonnar should be fighting on PPV? Absolutely. I can't argue with bringing him along slowly instead of feeding him to the wolves ala Nate Quarry.

I'm excited for tonight's UFN show. Hopefully this one lives up fully to it's hype as the others, while stacked on paper, haven't totally done so in the past. Still, I'm very much looking forward, especially for Anderson Silva's debut. I think Silva will win. I mean, this is a huge step up for him and if Leben wins it'll be a huge upset . I like both guys, but really, I just want a good fight. Honestly, I think it's a toss up between Leben/Silva, Cummo/Goulet, and Bonnar/Evans for show stealer. They should really all be exciting fights.

Thank goodness for this thread, or I would have forgotten about the show tonight!

I can't wait to see Leben vs. Silva. If Leben can win, then he will prove himself in my eyes. He has won some UFC fights, but I am still unsure after seeing him lose twice on the Ultimate Fighter show. Leben beating a big name and big talent like Silva would make him a title contender.

Yeah, those two losses on TUF 1... The second one was bullshit, even though he lost fair and square. Leben was dominating Kenflo and then he got that brutal cut from the elbow. His loss to Kos left such a sour taste in my mouth. Kos just kept taking Leben down and keeping him on his back, but did nothing to else to warrant the win at all. And Josh is a world class wrestlers so once he got a solid hold on Leben, there wasn't much Chris could have done. Bullshit, but like the cut, fair and square. I just hate people who lay n' pray.

On that note, I hope that Josh has learned some new tricks for his fight against Menne tonight. We won't get to see that fight on TV, nor did we see his fight at UFN 4 (unless it was on an episode of Unleashed I must have missed), but I hope Kos has developed. I think with his natural athletic ability and top notch wrestling background, with the right training, Kos could be huge. But yeah, if he tries the same old shit, lay n' pray, I really don't want to see him back until he starts showing signs of being a more well rounded fighter. I'll give Josh credit for his win over Pete Spratt, that was impressive, but his next fight with Drew Fickett, man did he suck the life of that fight until the end.

I still laugh at that Fickett fight. He pulled the lay n' pray against Drew at UFN 2 for the entire fight. Going into the final minute it was clearly going to be Kos' decision for sure. With 30 seconds left, Kos shoots in to take Drew down one last time and BAM Fickett plants a brutal knee to Josh's head just as he is going for the legs, knocks him out cold. Then I laugh even harder when Drew, instead of following up with a few more punches to seal the deal, goes for a rear naked choke, even though Josh is already KTFO. Classic.

So yeah, can't wait for the show.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Holy fuck. I dunno if this is the right topic to talk about the SpikeTV show, but Leben just got the shit kicked out of him. Daaaamn.

Great night for Canadians. :P

Good night for fights too. Bonnar-Evans and Goulet-Cummo come off as the most entertaining fights, but MacDonald looked great out there and Silva had a kick ass debut. Damn, I didn't think I'd get this into UFC, but what can I say? It delivers.

I taped this while I was at work tonight. Since I don't have a VCR, I hooked up the camcorder to the TV and recorded it like that.

Sweet Jesus is all I can say. Anderson Silva bulldozers through Leben like he was nothing. I was expecting Silva to win, but I thought at least for the first round it would be a little more competitive. I could tell as soon as Silva started landing those jabs before the onslaught that Leben was in for a rough night. Man, Silva pretty much beat him twice. If he would have followed up the first time he knocked him down it would have been over right there, instead he gave Leben a chance to get up, threw everything but the kitchen sink at him and planted a nice looking knee to the head that put Chris down for good. I'm stoked for the eventually Silva vs. Franklin fight.

Is Silva really that good, or did Leben have an off night?
Edited by Enter Blue Guy