UFC News and Discussion Thread

Overall an ok event . the best matches imo were Florian vs Sherk and Franklin vs Silva

Florian is damn good with the elbows but Sherk(might as well be matt Hughes twin) just overpowered him each and every time.

I'm surprised the main event ended it when it did . Silva had that clinch and just had Franklin at his mercy . and damn that knee to the nose looked brutal.

I personally think Silva will hold on to the title and Franklin will get a rematch and take it back

Overall an ok event . the best matches imo were Florian vs Sherk and Franklin vs Silva

Florian is damn good with the elbows but Sherk(might as well be matt Hughes twin) just overpowered him each and every time.

I'm surprised the main event ended it when it did . Silva had that clinch and just had Franklin at his mercy . and damn that knee to the nose looked brutal.

I personally think Silva will hold on to the title and Franklin will get a rematch and take it back

The top contenders for Silva are Dean Lister, David Terrell, Nathan Marquardt, Mike Swick, and of course the winner of TUF 4.

As for Lightweight. Man, that's a real difficult call. Jens Pulver gets upset, Yves Edwards has been slumping. I guess Joe Stevenson should be in line for a shot soon, but I'd really like to see Hermes Franca get a shot. He deserves it, big time. Hopefully Josh Thomson finds his way back to the UFC soon too, because he's another guy that really deserves a shot, probably more than Franca.

The top contenders for Silva are Dean Lister, David Terrell, Nathan Marquardt, Mike Swick, and of course the winner of TUF 4.

As for Lightweight. Man, that's a real difficult call. Jens Pulver gets upset, Yves Edwards has been slumping. I guess Joe Stevenson should be in line for a shot soon, but I'd really like to see Hermes Franca get a shot. He deserves it, big time. Hopefully Josh Thomson finds his way back to the UFC soon too, because he's another guy that really deserves a shot, probably more than Franca.

From what I've heard Pulver and Penn are to be the next TUF Coaches, and then they will fight for the next shot at Sherk. Any confirmation on this or truth at all?

Penn is still a top 170 contender in my eyes. He'll dominate 155, and he would have finished Hughes if the rib hadn't seperated.

I don't think Lister is a contender; he couldn't finish his last fight and his striking leaves a lot to be desired. Terrell followed up his shocking KO of Matt Lindland with a loss to Evan Tanner then he beat Scott Smith and just recently beat someone on a WEC card...I'm not sure he's ready. Marquardt is possibly the best fit. Swick would be a nice name fight for Silva but he didn't look as good once Loiseau started to get his confidence in that fight. Silva is in pretty good shape and didn't get touched much in the fight so you could possibly see his first defense in January at the rumored Super Bowl weekend card. In my personal opinion IF you want to see some actually challenge him then you sign Matt Lindland and let him have a shot. You offer him a one fight deal with some decent money and if he wins you offer him a couple of fights deal. He's beaten Miletech, Baroni twice, Salaverry, Weir, Lutter, Derksen, Horn. Close close close loss to Rampage Jackson back in July but showed he belongs in the top of 185 rankings.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I think Dana may be forced to bring him back sooner rather than later. Silva, Crow, Franklin, Swick, Lister seem to be the only ones up there right now. I'd actually expect to see Lindland back in the Octagon by the end of 2007. Interesting enough, Lindland said in a recent interview if he had to choose one promotion he'd do PRIDE. He likes the rules and competition over there.

Which is funny because Matt's style is so much better suited for the UFC than it is for Pride. Guys like Matt Lindland are tailor made for the Octagon, just like Randy Couture and Matt Hughes. And the competition? Maybe he should ask fellow Team Quest member Chris Leben about the competition in Japan first.

Oh and this was on Mike Swick's Myspace page, which I got from MMANews.com

"Sunday, October 15, 2006

I Want Silva Next...

Hey Guys,

I am getting bombarded with questions about me and Silva. Am I fighting him next? Do I want to? Whats next for me? Who do I want? So just to clear the air...

YES, I DO WANT SILVA AS MY NEXT OPPONENT. I asked Dana at the post-fight press conference and the ball is in their court.

-Swick"

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Easily there is enough competition to keep Dan and Matt apart from each other. Man, there are so many dime-a-dozen Japanese dudes at 185 in those Bushido shows that... Well, Bushido can pretty much be considered a separate promotion from Pride.

As for Dan... He hasn't looked like the old Dan Henderson for awhile now. The Pride ring just doesn't look like it's suited for Hendo right now. He's become Decision Dan, and most recently he wasn't even able to grab the win from the judges in the end. I think you put Dan in the Octagon and he'd thrive, he's perfectly suited for it. Like I said, it's tailor made for those American wrestling based grapplers. Plus, Dan Henderson with elbows is just a scary thought.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Swick isn't ready. Perhaps the UFC should match him up against Leben for their 2nd fight. Swick's only loss is to Leben and they both have drawing power from being on TUF. I don't see Swick giving Silva any problems. Per Matt Lindland on a radio show not too long ago his WFA contract is up as of next month so they could get sign him. He's a good fighter and recognized enough to where if they put him in against Silva the average Joe would see that and still buy the fight and not say who's this guy?