UFC News and Discussion Thread

Guest Santa Spud

I don't feel like peeking at the latest Observer again, but does this make it more or less likely for UFC to have interest in Pride? On the one hand, they seem to be on a WWF-early-80s-style acquisition kick, on the other, it could just be to strengthen them against a PRIDE with stronger (American?) financial backing.

I don't feel like peeking at the latest Observer again, but does this make it more or less likely for UFC to have interest in Pride? On the one hand, they seem to be on a WWF-early-80s-style acquisition kick, on the other, it could just be to strengthen them against a PRIDE with stronger (American?) financial backing.
Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Admittedly, I don't know nearly as much about MMA as I do pro wrestling, but how will this be perceived by MMA fans? Good? Bad? It's not like it's WWE where storylines and characters can separate them from the competition and it's not like anyone was going to seriously compete with UFC in the States anyway, so it sounds good. Right?

I saw a few commercials for WFA here in LA, didn't get a chance to check it out, but the card had some names on it, guys like Rampage Jackson and Kimo. Nice pick-up for UFC.

I don't know if I like the idea of a UFC monopoly of US MMA, but hell, I think Pride is horrible, so I guess it wouldn't be that bad.

It's good, and great if they can get Lindland and Jackson to sign. Having a "minor league" will be great for the sport, especially if it is televised somewhere consistently as it will also build their names up. Lindland is an instant contender for the Middleweight crown and gives it depth, while Jackson will be a welcome face for Liddell to battle and if he is on top of his game he can compete for that title too. In my opinion the Cro Cop situation may be the biggest thing to date if they can sign him and/or get Pride that'll help out everything. I doubt that will happen, but Cro Cop looks like a possibility at this point.

I don't know if I like the idea of a UFC monopoly of US MMA, but hell, I think Pride is horrible, so I guess it wouldn't be that bad.
Edited by ACCBiggz

Admittedly, I don't know nearly as much about MMA as I do pro wrestling, but how will this be perceived by MMA fans? Good? Bad? It's not like it's WWE where storylines and characters can separate them from the competition and it's not like anyone was going to seriously compete with UFC in the States anyway, so it sounds good. Right?

I'd say closer to none than slim. Kimo is a shell of what he was and what he could have been. He'll still pop up in the semi-main events of smaller shows, but he's gone as far as he can possibly go as a big name mixed martial artist. Still, there was a time when Kimo really turned some heads as the first man to make Royce Gracie look human, he disappeared of the face of the planet shortly after, only to return years later and fade back of the picture without making any impact, besides making Tank Abbott tap.

Man, that was probably the biggest letdown ever. Tank Abbott vs. Kimo, with the winner to be named the king of Huntington Beach, it was supposed to be a pure brawl. It resulted in Kimo easily taking Tank down, applying a head and arm choke, then making Tank tap, without as much a small exchange between the two.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

That was the stamp on Kimo's UFC career for sure.

Hopefully we'll get some kind of definitive clarification on this whole deal soon. Maybe I'm too use to UFC's live announcements, but I'm hoping for some word on which contracts have been purchased in the WFA deal...Like Wednesday on Ultimate Fight Night, maybe?

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

The first round of Riggs/Sanchez should be really good. I'm still lost on why Riggs choses to fight at 170, seeing as he has struggled big time to make the weight and looks at best 1/2 of how talented he can be.

Anyways, I know I shouldn't bank on it, but I'd almost be disappointed if some kind of announcement isn't made on the 13th. I really hope Heath Herring is one of the fighters UFC picked up. Heath has been a favorite of mine for years. He's hasn't been doing much since he left Pride, besides getting injured, and I'd love to see him start over in the UFC heavyweight division. One of the most entertaining guys out there and his classic bouts with Minotauro Nogueira are must-sees for any MMA fan.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy