Official Premier League 2010/11 thread

United had better bloody win today - a chance to go 3 clear of Citeh (and a game in hand) and 5 ahead of Arsenal, with the two of them meeting on Wednesday. Six points out of WBA and Stoke is a must, with Spurs away to come, because one day soon, they're gonna beat us at WHL.

Fuck's sake. Chicharito put us up front a while back, but now - two minutes from time - Rooney's injured his ankle once again. Ugh.

... wait, now he's back after going off to be subbed? :huh:

Edited by Shelty92

Had no subs left, so he came back on. Great game to win - I love Chicharito. And if Roo's injury keeps him out for a while, I can't see Macheda going out on loan anymore.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Just seemed odd how he ran back on like nothing had happened after seeming to be in a lot of pain just a minute before.

It wasn't the most convincing or deserved win, but that's typical of our season. We got lucky with Odemwingie's penalty miss and a few referee decisions, including the penalty not given against Neville (who was hopeless throughout the match). Foy also missed a clear handball against WBA, so he was pretty poor throughout. Not that I really care, I'll take any away win at this point. :P

Had no subs left, so he came back on. Great game to win - I love Chicharito. And if Roo's injury keeps him out for a while, I can't see Macheda going out on loan anymore.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Just seemed odd how he ran back on like nothing had happened after seeming to be in a lot of pain just a minute before.

It wasn't the most convincing or deserved win, but that's typical of our season. We got lucky with Odemwingie's penalty miss and a few referee decisions, including the penalty not given against Neville (who was hopeless throughout the match). Foy also missed a clear handball against WBA, so he was pretty poor throughout. Not that I really care, I'll take any away win at this point. :P

To say it wasn't convincing is an understatement, for about 60 minutes of that match we matched you, and in the first half you struggled with our counter-attacking threat. I cannot believe we didn't get a penalty in the first half - if it had been down in front of the Brummy Road, we'd have got it, because the Man United presence in the Smethwick End was huge. I think the only reason we got the penalty in the second half was because we didn't get that one, and Foy knew he had to redeem himself for that.

Rooney's goal was the result of some extremely poor goalkeeping - when the ball is headed with mild power straight into the ground and from about 10 yards, the keeper needs to save, but Carson showed yet again why he doesn't deserve another England cap because he falls asleep and lets goals like that go in.

Morrison's goal was fucking epic, 'nuff said :D

Chicharito's was a disappointment because we cannot defend set peices without Jonas Olsson and Gabriel Tamas, and then one of, if not the smallest man on the pitch rises above the likes of Paul Scharner to nod home. Can't make it up.

Overall, on the back of 3 losses, 2 to very bad sides, you could say we deserved the win but as soon a Peter missed the penalty it wasn't going to happen - you can't throw those chances away against Man U in their typical mid-season rampage when they are clearly the best side in the league. We need another Centre Back because without Olsson and Tamas, we struggle, and Ibanez seems to be injured whilst Scharner is steady at the back. And another striker, Odemwingie is burnt out from pretty much playing a year-and-a-half of nonstop footie, whilst Fortune is shit, Miller is injury prone and inconsistent, Cox isn't played in the right position and everybody else is away on loan because they aren't ready or are shite.

Edited by TheGreatJ

Well we're finally out of the relegation zone, and while the win against Wolves was huge for us, there's still a lot to fear for. Another lucky own goal gave us the lead, but this time the squad kept their composure and finished. Great counter and good job by Sears to keep his head to finish that second goal. He's been solid since coming back into the squad. We still have played a game more than everyone else though, so there's still so much more work to do if we're going to survive this season.

And Joe Cole, nice of you to finally arrive at Anfield.

He did a Nugent.

A much needed three points, but anyone suggesting this has given Roy more time just doesn't get it. He's gone at the earliest opportunity.

Coyle proved that perhaps the adulation he's received so far this season is a bit premature, in the first half both teams seemed content with 0-0 and when we upped our game in the second half they did exactly what Villa and West Ham did - sat off us, put no pressure on the ball and dragged as many players as possible back to their 18 yard line.

He did a Nugent.

A much needed three points, but anyone suggesting this has given Roy more time just doesn't get it. He's gone at the earliest opportunity.

Coyle proved that perhaps the adulation he's received so far this season is a bit premature, in the first half both teams seemed content with 0-0 and when we upped our game in the second half they did exactly what Villa and West Ham did - sat off us, put no pressure on the ball and dragged as many players as possible back to their 18 yard line.

But the thing is, who are Liverpool going to get that can lift the club? I think Houlier and Hodgson went to the wrong clubs: Houlier should've gone back to Liverpool, and Hodgson to Villa (they need a British manager and Hodgson is the only British manager in European football, go figure). But thats just my two cents.

No Houllier shouldn't have come back to Liverpool. His final two years with us were shocking. Lovely guy, did an awful lot for us, but was never the same after his heart problems.

When you say lift, do you mean lift as in the position or lift the mood around the club? There are a number of manager's out there who could do both. Dalglish would provide a short term lift, everyone would be firmly behind him, and the fact that he apparently saw this disaster coming when Hodgson was set to be appointed (as well as recommending Pellegrini) would suggest he's not as out of touch as the Roy apologists would have you believe.

Kenny would only be a short term option though, and long term I'd imagine NESV/FSG and Comolli will be looking at people like Villas Boas, Klopp, Laudrup etc. Whether they'd be interested or not is another matter, but any of them would have to work hard to be worse than Roy.

I think NESV originally saw Roy as their short term option when they arrived, and hoped that he wouldn't do too much damage until a proper manager could be found. The run of poor form which culminated in the Wolves debacle forced their hand though, and now he's essentially a lame duck who probably won't see the season out.

Edited by therockbox.

If Hodgson were to be sacked, I could see Daglish taking over until the end of the season. Which is something I could bare. Despite winning today, Hodgson has failed, and scraping a 2-1 win over Bolton won't save him. I've always seen Hodgson only lasting at least a season, and being the guy brought in to help supplement the sale of the club.

I have no idea who would be a good replacement for him on a full time basis. Perhaps Rafa Benitez. :shifty:

No Houllier shouldn't have come back to Liverpool. His final two years with us were shocking. Lovely guy, did an awful lot for us, but was never the same after his heart problems.

When you say lift, do you mean lift as in the position or lift the mood around the club? There are a number of manager's out there who could do both. Dalglish would provide a short term lift, everyone would be firmly behind him, and the fact that he apparently saw this disaster coming when Hodgson was set to be appointed (as well as recommending Pellegrini) would suggest he's not as out of touch as the Roy apologists would have you believe.

Kenny would only be a short term option though, and long term I'd imagine NESV/FSG and Comolli will be looking at people like Villas Boas, Klopp, Laudrup etc. Whether they'd be interested or not is another matter, but any of them would have to work hard to be worse than Roy.

I think NESV originally saw Roy as their short term option when they arrived, and hoped that he wouldn't do too much damage until a proper manager could be found. The run of poor form which culminated in the Wolves debacle forced their hand though, and now he's essentially a lame duck who probably won't see the season out.

Fair enough. I meant lift the the mood around it and the squads performances on a whole, by the way.

Worried about Albion though - our performance today showed we have more than enough to stop up, but we don't have a great record at Fulham, and Blackpool beat Liverpool and almost beat City, then there next game I'm sure they lost to Birmingham before beating us. They'll be right up for it after narrowly missing out today at City.

I think we need to drop Odemwingie to give him a bit of a break, but we have NOTHING in the way of strikers, and we won't get anything more than a point on Tuesday at Craven Cottage without him. He's brilliant for punishing the smaller teams or teams who have lapses in the defence, and with our next league games being Fulham, 'Pool, Blackburn and Wigan, we could really do with him. Then we go to City, who we always play well against and with the likes of Thomas in tow who always step up for the big games, we could have a go at them, before playing West Ham where we will again need Peter, before playing the shit in February.

Most papers seem to think Kenny isn't an option as FSG/NESV want the appointment to be along term one, and will keep Roy on until their choice is available. Dechamps would be nice, and I wouldn't mind Rjkard. Just keep people like Allerdyce away for the love of god!