Official Premier League 2010/11 thread

The ref was shocking today.

I REAAAALLY appreciated the red card for a jump that earns a yellow at MOST on any other day and the booking for time wasting on Gomes who was waiting for the substitution to take place (the 4th official was there with the board!)

He also missed a few corner decisions and deflections for Spurs and it looks less and less like that ball went totally out of play for the disallowed Spurs goal.

I may be wearing Spurs glasses (very likely) for the Heskey/Gomes tussle but it looked as though Gomes scrambled across and got a bit of a fist to it. I'm sure you can see the impact of fist on ball from the front on angle.

Villa were SHOCKING in the first half. ONO, Summers, I dunno what your team NEEDS but something needs to happen. THeir second half was better but they still got outplayed in the first half, and couldn't break down a 10-man team at home in the second half. Loads of shots but very little within 5 yards of the goal.

Our second goal was dreamy from start to finish. If it had been Nasri, Fabregas and Wilshire then it'd probably win the goal of the month and many plaudits. :shifty:

As a neutral view on those decisions CSAMH I can't say too much about corners etc as I didn't see the full game, but I'd agree entirely that Gomez punched the ball clear so clearly no penalty. If anything in these days of keeper protection its probably a foul on Gomez...

The disallowed goal is hard to call as even after 2 replays from Sky I couldn't decide, depends who the the benefit of the doubt goes to. And as much as I have sympathy for Defoe (no blame on Collins who said nothing), I can't help but think the pundits are being drawn in by the fact he's only 4 foot tall, if Crouch, Davies or Carroll had done the same by the letter of the law these days it is a red card stupid as the rule is. Or if its Joey Barton its an 8 match ban if Lawro or Colin Murray get their way...

Great result for Spurs though, second goal was trademark counterattacking brilliance, and I'm nervous of losing our pretty good record at WHL tomorrow. Don't pay too much attention to the scoreline against City though, we frankly outplayed them, unfortunately this game was ruined by our own useless defensive errors rather than woeful refereeing in the away game.

The ref was shocking today.

I REAAAALLY appreciated the red card for a jump that earns a yellow at MOST on any other day and the booking for time wasting on Gomes who was waiting for the substitution to take place (the 4th official was there with the board!)

He also missed a few corner decisions and deflections for Spurs and it looks less and less like that ball went totally out of play for the disallowed Spurs goal.

I may be wearing Spurs glasses (very likely) for the Heskey/Gomes tussle but it looked as though Gomes scrambled across and got a bit of a fist to it. I'm sure you can see the impact of fist on ball from the front on angle.

Villa were SHOCKING in the first half. ONO, Summers, I dunno what your team NEEDS but something needs to happen. THeir second half was better but they still got outplayed in the first half, and couldn't break down a 10-man team at home in the second half. Loads of shots but very little within 5 yards of the goal.

Our second goal was dreamy from start to finish. If it had been Nasri, Fabregas and Wilshire then it'd probably win the goal of the month and many plaudits. :shifty:

The red for Defoe was a joke, you'd need to give out 5 a game if that is a sending off. The yellow for Gomes 'timewasting' was ridiculous as well, Villa had done exactly the same in the first half for the Heskey/Delphonso(sp?) sub.

As for the penalty I think Gomes got a touch on it, the ball changes direction and it looks like he gets a glove to it from the front-angle replay. Regardless the ref can't give it unless he knows that Gomes took him down without touching the ball (though we HAVE seen them given before regardless, mostly at Old Trafford!).

I thought it was a pretty good performance all things considered. The two finished from VdV were spectacular, perfectly taken and placed. First-time shots as well. He is class and gives us something else.

And Summers is a Villa fan? Tough luck there bud. Is there any truth to this Sidwell to West Ham rumour? I'd have had him in there shoring up the midfield myself if he was available.