Official Premier League 2010/11 thread

Well, it's as comfortable as a 1-0 scoreline can be, but then they didn't threaten us all that much at their place until Tuncay scored, so doubling the lead early in the second half will do just nicely.

Fletcher and Gibson have played well up to now - Gibson's come close from range and Fletch is winning his midfield battle. As I say though, the quicker we get a second, the better. I want to look forward to Arsenal-Citeh safe in the knowledge that we're in a commanding position at the summit.

I can safely say that tonight coupled with that miserable 3-0 defeat to Stoke and 3-1 to Blackburn, was our worst performance of the season. The sooner we actually have a defence, the better. I mean, you know that your team is falling to pieces at the back when they have a combined height of 4 foot and you name 4 wingers/strikers on the bench.

Great match yesterday. You just knew Stoke were going to equalize with the way this season's been going for us - 45 minutes of smooth sailing was too good to be true. :shifty: Was a bit worried after that, but we recovered pretty well and Nani won it in the end with a beautiful curler. Love those shots from him.

The men of the match for me were Hernandez, Smalling and Nani. Chicharito obviously scored that brilliant goal to put us one up, but he also played well throughout the match like he always does. Chris Smalling convinced me with a really solid performance, him and Vidic pretty much shut Stoke out apart from that goal they got (though it was Evra's man to mark, IIRC), while Nani was, well, Nani; a bit of trickery and diving mixed with some great play. Gotta give a lot of credit to Rafael and Evra, too. Just a solid performance all around, better than the scoreline suggests.

Quick question to give me some sneaky advice, has Nani been out through injury, and was it a niggly one or something he'll have got over? Weighing up my Dream Team transfers for the end of the month, and he could be a little secret weapon rather than bringing in van der Vaart like everyone else.

Nani's been out through injury - he's fine now though. There's no way SAF would've brought him back into a midweek game against Stoke if he wasn't 100% healthy - he looked it last night, I know that much.

And I know people are giving Smalling credit, but Vidic was the one mopping everything up last night, for me. Smalling played OK, but there were times when he gave the ball away whilst attempting a ball into midfield, causing un-neccesary pressure.

Rafael, on the other hand, was just immense. Granted, he will never be the best defender, but he battles for everything and is quality going forward. He seems to have grasped what it takes to be a United player so quickly.

...as well as Hernandez - there aren't many more superlatives I can dish out to the guy. He's just a fantastic goalscorer, and puts every bit of effort in that Tevez did.

Also, a quick point on Arsenal...

Merson was on SSN chatting shit again the other day. I know he's an ex-gooner, but christ, he's so fucking biased.

According to him, Arsenal will win the league ''because of the games they have left'' and that all of the big teams have to go to The Emirates.

Hmmm, yeah - but he said the same thing last season, and how their run-in was so much easier than everyone elses. Under-estimating teams won't win you the league. And besides, how many of the ''big teams'' did they even beat at home last season?

And I know people are giving Smalling credit, but Vidic was the one mopping everything up last night, for me. Smalling played OK, but there were times when he gave the ball away whilst attempting a ball into midfield, causing un-neccesary pressure.

I think it's a case of "hey look, the new guy played real well!" rather than "he was the best player on the pitch". That's the case with me at least, 'cause Vidic putting on a MOTM performance has been pretty much the rule rather than the exception this season. It seems I don't even feel the need to point it out anymore. :P And the progress Rafael has made during his years at United is fantastic. He seems like a real pitbull nowadays, I'm loving it.

A good run-in for Arsenal would consist of playing against the better teams. It's against the backs-to-the-wall tough teams like Wigan that they struggle.

That's a cliche, and not a very accurate one. They've dropped points against Spurs, Sunderland, Chelsea and United - all in the top 6.

West Brom aren't exactly a "back to the wall" team either.

Edited by Lord Nibbler

Blimey, Chelsea. 1-0 down through a Bosingwa OG.

This is a game that they surely can't afford to drop points in. I know points have been dropped all over the place this season, but being 8/9 behind the leaders who have a game in hand wouldn't be very fun.

Sucks to be stok, at the moment. :shifty:

Wow, and that made it 2-0? Ouch. I'm sure Woy will be quick to congratulate another of his former clubs on their victory. People have said he's gone as soon as the right person is found, but it'll surely be Monday morning if they lose tonight AND to Utd in the FA Cup on Sunday...

On the plus side, at least I'm not in Wolverhampton right now ever.

And Leon Best? :huh:

Sadly, I was in Wolverhampton once.

Anyone other than Kalou would have scored that chance. But then that's Kalou, and it always has been.

I suppose Anelka will come on shortly and we'll grind ourselves a couple of furrows with several thousand square balls some 40 yards from goal.