Official Premier League 2010/11 thread

Given the timeframe, a third man in at this point only seems to further the spiral as opposed to righting the ship.

That's one way of looking at it. The way I look at it is that Hodgson was doing an awful job - he ostracised a number of players, the players he brought in were shit, performances weren't showing any signs of improvement, the fans wanted him out, his post-match interviews were laughable (you're not showing enough respect to Wolves!) and he was playing the wrong system for our squad. I think half a season is plenty of time to show some positives and he didn't show any, just plenty of negatives. Bringing in Kenny isn't a surefire solution by any means but I'm still adamant he can't possibly do any worse (if he does I'll quote this post myself) and his appointment addresses at least some of the problems with morale and tactics, probably the two biggest issues. At the same time we get to shop around for somebody who actually CAN change things.

From what I can recall, that was largely as a result of a good run of form through January (we went something like seven games unbeaten with four or five clean sheets). From the beginning of the season though we'd been dropping into the Europa League places (and sometimes below), losing to Villa (at home), Sunderland, Fulham and Arsenal home and away, and drawing games against Birmingham and Blackburn.

We dropped a lot of points in the second half of the season but there were also a few very good performances in there (Spurs, Portsmouth, Sunderland etc).

We were poor in the latter part of last season, we were poor in the first part of last season, and had a decentish run over Christmas and January. The rot was clear however right from the off, pretty much when Carragher broke Skrtel's jaw in the opening game against Spurs. Even in pre-season people were raising concerns about how we were playing.

That's one way of looking at it. The way I look at it is that Hodgson was doing an awful job - he ostracised a number of players, the players he brought in were shit, performances weren't showing any signs of improvement, the fans wanted him out, his post-match interviews were laughable (you're not showing enough respect to Wolves!) and he was playing the wrong system for our squad. I think half a season is plenty of time to show some positives and he didn't show any, just plenty of negatives. Bringing in Kenny isn't a surefire solution by any means but I'm still adamant he can't possibly do any worse (if he does I'll quote this post myself) and his appointment addresses at least some of the problems with morale and tactics, probably the two biggest issues. At the same time we get to shop around for somebody who actually CAN change things.

I'm just being overly synical about it I guess. I just see this situation over here all the time with college football and there have been several programs that have started that revolving door policy at the HC position and nothing ever gets fixed because of it. Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Miami were all "powers" and before A&M this year, they've all been struggling to regain their identity for a decade or longer. I've got every reason to believe that things will be fine judging by how they've done with the Red Sox.

I mean, the situation is unthinkable at this point but you'll be making up new words to describe it if Kenny shits the bed and you're looking at manager #4 in 18 months this summer. Couple that with some needed sell offs and probably a couple of want aways (torres) .... yikes.

I mean, the situation is unthinkable at this point but you'll be making up new words to describe it if Kenny shits the bed and you're looking at manager #4 in 18 months this summer. Couple that with some needed sell offs and probably a couple of want aways (torres) .... yikes.

There was always going to be a new manager this summer, regardless of whether Hodgson had done enough to keep his head above water until the end of the season. FSG want a manager whose in it for the long haul, can start rebuilding the club and is a progressive coach who uses (or can adapt to) a modern system of football. Hodgson, for various reasons, is none of those things, and had got to the point where he simply couldn't stay at the club because of how close we were to relegation - and our form was getting worse.

To completely change the subject, where the fuck can I buy the Leeds United away kit ? The nice blue one from this year ?

For whatever reason my credit card won't work on their online store and the only other place I've found it, doesn't carry the size I need.

So uh yeah ... where the fuck can I buy it ? (can't find it on ebay)

• Admin
Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has laughed off Frank Lampard's claim the climate at the club is akin to the last days of Luis Felipe Scolari's reign.

Scolari was sacked by Chelsea in 2009 after a series of poor results, but the Blues are currently on a worse run.

"This is not good news!" joked Ancelotti when questioned about midfielder Lampard's comments.

"Maybe it's the same atmosphere, but we have the capacity to move on. I support the players and they support me."

He added: "I don't know the feeling with Scolari, but the feeling here with the players is very good."

Ancelotti has come under increasing pressure, with his team's form tailing off badly after they made a flying start to the season.

The reigning champions and FA Cup winners have taken only 10 points from their last 11 Premier League games - their worst run in the league for almost 15 years - and have concerns over the depth of their squad, although they did thrash Ipswich 7-0 in the FA Cup last weekend.

Ancelotti continues to enjoy the backing of the club's billionaire benefactor, Roman Abramovich, who he spoke to on the telephone this week and who is expected to attend the home game with Blackburn on Saturday.

Ancelotti admitted Abramovich was "not happy" with recent results but that their exchange had been "positive", giving the Italian the confidence to dismiss Lampard's claims.

"I think it's not a big problem if the players are not happy," he explained. "I think the only reason they are not happy sometimes is that we didn't get the right results. This is the only reason.

"I think the players, the team, lost some confidence in their football, the football that we played very well last year.

"But I think we are able to come back and play the same."

Ancelotti admitted the FA Cup win over Ipswich had improved the mood at Stamford Bridge.

"The week was good," he said. "I hope that tomorrow we can show this also not just on the training ground but on the pitch against Blackburn."

England midfielder Lampard had claimed that the recent series of poor results had eroded the players' confidence and likening the atmosphere to the final days of the tenure of Scolari, who was dismissed in February 2009 after less than eight months in the job, following a run that saw them take 17 points from 12 league games.

"At the moment, there's a bit of a feeling that we're not sure what's going to happen when we go out there," he said.

"The end of Scolari's reign was a bit like this. You lose the feeling of being able to win every week.

"Once you've had that and lose it, it's hard to get it back."

Chelsea's recent drop in form has been apparent since the club told Ray Wilkins he was no longer needed but Lampard, 32, refused to blame the coach's departure in November for a sequence that has seen them slip nine points behind leaders Manchester United having played a game more.

Lampard, who returned from a lengthy spell on the sidelines last month, told the Sun: "We won The Double last year, all of us together including Ray. Ray is no longer here.

"But the club makes the decisions and, if [owner] Roman Abramovich wasn't here, we wouldn't have won three Premier League titles.

"Things are important off the pitch but we've been putting out a side good enough to beat teams we've lost against.

"What we can't do as individuals is use what happened to Ray as an excuse. We have to perform regardless."

Speaking ahead of Saturday's Premier League clash against Blackburn, Lampard added of Chelsea's current lack of confidence: "If we're honest we all think that. That's just the way it is. You can't help that.

"It won't change anyone's determination to want to win but you can't help but feel it as we haven't been winning.

"We need to work in the same direction, follow the manager and, if we do, I believe it will turn. If we don't, it won't.

"This is a bad moment, make no mistake about it. We don't have to hide it any more. It has been a long enough time."

Chelsea fans, do you draw any similarities? And are you worried for Ancelotti?

Some good games this weekend should make for an interesting MOTD and MOTD 2 :)

Just hoping that either: Arsenal, Chelsea, Man.City and Blackpool win so i can get 20 quid :P or Stoke, WBA, Wigan and Hull (Yes i kno there championship) win so i can get 35 quid :P

Big game on Saturday I feel is Chelsea/Blackburn for the reasons of Chelsea should look to build upon the battering of Ipswich and carry that over into the Premiership as with Man.U playing Tottenham a win is pretty vital if they want keep up in the title race/champions league battle.

Sunday its a tie between Man.U/Spurs and Liverpool/Everton. Spurs have got imo have got a really good squad and Van Der Vaart possibly the signing of the season in the Prem and I really think Tottenham could win (well i'm hoping for) as a Spurs win makes things really really interesting. Then there is our match which for the obvious reasons is important considering how were both a few points of the relegation zone. Everton are going to be coming into this with confidence considering the lack of belief we have and with Gerrard and Carragher missing. With Cahill missing it makes things more interesting.

The thing with Spurs is they are always gonna score goals, so if United (we) put in one of our typical away performances from this season, they very well could beat us, and beat us well. I fully expect a 4-5-1 formation on Sunday, giving Spurs the respect they deserve. Rooney up front on his own, Nani and Giggs on the flanks supporting him, and Carrick, Fletcher and Anderson in the middle of the park. Rafael, Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra at the back, and hopefully Van der Sar in the net, aslong as he's recovered from the virus he was suffering from last week.

I'd take a draw from the game, and thats what I think it will be. I'm going for 2-2. As for the other games this weekend here are my predictions;

Saturday

Chelsea 3-1 Blackburn

Man City 4-0 Wolves

Stoke 1-1 Bolton

West Brom 0-2 Blackpool

West Ham 1-2 Arsenal

Wigan 1-0 Fulham

Sunday

Birmingham 1-0 Aston Villa

Sunderland 1-0 Newcastle

Liverpool 2-3 Everton

Tottenham 2-2 Man Utd

• Admin

We have a terrible record against the classic "Big 4" and ordinarily I'd take a draw from this any day of the week. However we broke that hoodoo earlier this season against Arsenal and playing the way we have been I think we have the potential to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

Having said that, I know us well enough to know that we'll get sloppy and I'm inclined to agree with Jordan, 2-2.

We need to go 2-0 up by about the 55th minute because I'm pretty certain Assou-Ekotto is going to pull Nani down in the penalty area as he gets tired. Also Hutton can tackle well but has a habit of lunging in inside the box. Can't we just play Corluka instead? He's slow but he can tackle better, is a better defender and has a better understanding with Lennon.

EDIT: Mmmm BBC stats make me happier.

Although we haven't won our last 23 games against Man Utd....

We've lost only one of our last ten home games against the "big four" - Man Utd 3-1 in 2009.

That game was the only one of Redknapp's 45 home games that Spurs have conceded more than 2.

Martin O'Neill to replace Grant as manager of West Ham

Martin O'Neill will replace Avram Grant as manager of West Ham after Saturday's match against Arsenal, BBC Sport understands.

The Hammers are bottom of the Premier League after winning four games all season, although Grant had lost only one match in his last seven games.

On Friday, Grant refused to be drawn on speculation, insisting he was focused only on Premier League survival.

O'Neill quit Aston Villa out of the blue on the eve of this season.

Huge news for West Ham, feel a bit sorry for Grant though, but O'Neill is a massive coup for them. He's sure to steer them clear of relegation

Chelsea fans, do you draw any similarities? And are you worried for Ancelotti?

Chelsea fans? Have we confirmed if there are any others than me yet? :shifty:

Ancelotti will be manager at the end of the season. You can quote me on that.

He left Villa for that? He's realised now that no top club are coming looking for him. How could you honestly knowing your manager runs out the door when he is told to cut the wage bill?

Edited by ONO

I'll believe it when I see it, hasn't Grant been gone after every game for the past two months? Oh, and Ancellottis press conference was brilliant. I'm no Chelsea fan but I think I love the man, hope he gave Lamps a fucking kicking...