Official Premier League 2010/11 thread

…and Michael Carrick has signed a new three-year deal.

Suprised at that one really, even though I like him, I think everyone was resigned to him being sold in the Summer.

• Admin

Add Fabian Delph to the list of those who signed new contract today; until 2015.

Sir Alex Ferguson has been charged by the Football Association with improper conduct over comments he made about referee Martin Atkinson.

The Manchester United boss said he had "feared the worst" when Atkinson was appointed for Tuesday's game with Chelsea, which United lost 2-1.

Ferguson has until 1600 GMT next Tuesday to respond to the charge.

He also has two matches of a four-game ban from last season hanging over him after remarks about referee Alan Wiley.

BBC Sport understands that he is likely to contest the charge.

Following their defeat at Stamford Bridge, Ferguson told MUTV: "You want a fair referee, or a strong referee anyway - and we didn't get that.

"I must say, when I saw who the referee was I feared it. I feared the worst."

Ferguson was angry over Atkinson's failure to dismiss Chelsea defender David Luiz for fouls on Javier Hernandez and Wayne Rooney after he had already been booked.

He was further upset when Chelsea were awarded what he considered a "soft" penalty when Yuri Zhirkov fell under the challenge of Chris Smalling.

If Ferguson's suspended ban is triggered, he will be suspended from the touchline for United's FA Cup sixth-round tie with Arsenal at Old Trafford on 12 March and the Premier League game with Bolton a week later and then whatever extra games - if any - are added on for his latest outburst.

United's loss at Stamford Bridge pegged their lead over Arsenal back to four points, with the Gunners having played a game less.

Arsenal could close the gap to one point with a home win over Sunderland on Saturday, with Ferguson's team playing Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday.

It doesn't matter what they do to SAF. He'll take whatever fine, touchline ban, etc. they throw at him, all for the purpose of his outburst having an influence on the referee in the next 'big decision' involving Man Utd. That's why he says these things all the time, and the FA will only come out of any investigation looking as stupid as ever.

Well at least Johnny Perfect and viperlike, presumably, have an excuse for every time the club plays poorly in a match for the next three years. Damn that Michael Carrick.

Fixed.

The hell do you get that from? I've said negative things about him once or twice. I don't blame us losing on him every time we do. I haven't even made an excuse for our two losses in the league, unlike you who was bringing up silly things such as 'the game was decided by a cheat'. It's no surprise that I don't rate Carrick massively anymore. He has had a poor season. That's not hating on him, that's basically stating the obvious. I'd like him to up his game and certainly hope he does.

With Kelly out for a month, there's also talk that Agger, Gerrard and Aurelio are doubts for the game against Man Utd, and Meireles probably won't be able to play 90 minutes. We could end up with Carragher at left back, a central defensive partnership of Skrtel/Kyrgiakos and Spearing and Poulsen both starting.

Yuck.

It doesn't matter what they do to SAF. He'll take whatever fine, touchline ban, etc. they throw at him, all for the purpose of his outburst having an influence on the referee in the next 'big decision' involving Man Utd. That's why he says these things all the time, and the FA will only come out of any investigation looking as stupid as ever.

Isnt that the same with all sports, the world over though? I know some owners of rugby league clubs that encourage their coaches to criticise the refs and then the owners pay the 10 thousand dollar fine out of their own pockets. Sadly it just seems to be a part of sport in general and not just football(also I sadly dont see crap like that changing anytime soon).

With Kelly out for a month, there's also talk that Agger, Gerrard and Aurelio are doubts for the game against Man Utd, and Meireles probably won't be able to play 90 minutes. We could end up with Carragher at left back, a central defensive partnership of Skrtel/Kyrgiakos and Spearing and Poulsen both starting.

Yuck.

This post terrifies me.

But still, if you watch Sky Sports news they mostly say "ANDY CARROLL TO maybe be on the bench and possibly PLAY AGAINST MANCHESTER UNITED but he also might not."

Not looking forward to this match at all.

• Admin
Manchester United are set to sign Anderlecht's teenage midfielder Adnan Januzaj, according to the Belgian club.

The two clubs have only to agree the terms for the Belgian 16-year-old, with the fee believed to be about £297,000.

Anderlecht wanted to keep the highly-rated attacking midfielder, who is of Albanian descent and joined the club from FC Brussels in 2005.

But they do not plan to stand in the way of him joining the current Premier League leaders.

Fifa rules stipulate that players under the age of 16 cannot move between European clubs.

But having waited until 5 February when Januzaj crossed that threshold, United will be able to pay the Belgian club a minimal fee for him before his price begins to rise.

According to Anderlecht the "deal is done" but the two clubs must arrange the fee which can be paid up front or can be incentive based dependent on appearances.

Manchester United would not comment on the deal when contacted by BBC Sport.

Fifa has recently introduced a Transfer Matching System to improve the transparency of such deals where both clubs involved can register as much information as possible about the transfer.

Any agreement between clubs must also be ratified by a player status sub-committee.

Since January 2010 there have been 1,752 transfer applications entered into the system for minors with 1,123 accepted and 255 rejected. The remainder are in process.

But there is still a lingering concern that bigger European clubs with vast scouting networks are able to offer incentives to youngsters, therefore denying smaller clubs of ample rewards for developing players.

There is also the issue of whether young players make the right choice in going to a bigger club where their chances may be limited.

In 2009, French club Le Havre accused Manchester United of "stealing" French midfielder Paul Pogba.

And in 2007 Lazio were unhappy with the pursuit and signing of Italian striker Federico Macheda, who was 16 at the time.

Barcelona recently described Arsenal's purchase of Jon Toral as "a little immoral". The 16-year-old midfielder moved for a fee of about £296,000.

But Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said: "We have done what is legal. Plenty of players leave us under exactly the same rule."

Darren Fletcher has also signed a new four-year deal.

Part of me hopes Utd go with Smalling and O'Shea at CB, with Rafael to the right of them to provide much-needed width, especially if Fletcher's gonna be just ahead of him protecting things.

I think if Brown plays, and O'Shea stays at RB, it means we can only really threaten from the other wing. I want Valencia back, badly. I can see us tearing teams apart if he can regain some of the form produced last season, and Nani continues to improve.

• Like 1