2010 College Football Thread

Edsal can recruit pretty well, and coach pretty well. This isn't a job where he's really moving up in program quality, UCONN is on the way up and Maryland hasn't been a national presence since the 1980s. And given the way Terps fans are, they won't settle for consistent season of 8-4, 7-5 which he's sure to bring.

He's definately moving up in program quality. UConn is and always will be, a basketball first school. Maryland has a slightly stronger Basketball identity, but this area is ripe for the picking in terms of athletes. Edsall can easily steal guys from VT/UVA/Penn St/Pitt which is where all of the DC/Maryland athletes are going. Hell, look what he did at UConn ... imagine what he'll be able to do at a school where he can sell things like proper facilities and ten times better tv coverage.

Being from Danbury, I really hope Lutrus can stick with an NFL team. He's from Brookfield (the next town over) so it'd be kinda cool to see someone from that close make it to the NFL.

Danbury eh? I went to WestConn. Good times.

If the Brookfield guy sticks around, nice.

Heh. I go to WestConn now, graduating in May. I also work in the often-loathed Registrar's Office. Small world.

Pretty bummed that Edsall is leaving.

Edited by kbusch22

I'm not entirely surprised Edsall is leaving, just Maryland is a little bit of a surprise. I thought he could have jumped to something a little bigger than that, especially since he was rumored for the Miami gig.

Now imagine if the old Maryland coach goes to UConn... doubt it, but would be kinda funny.

Off topic: There's much worse than the registrar's office to be working for. The office where they handle scholarships and financial aid for example. Or whoever is in charge of football recruiting, because that 0-10 record really does wonders for recruiting decent talent out of New Jersey.

^ not true at all ... the number of players that play D3 that have the talent to play at higher levels is retarded.

Hell, just in the conference I played in there were 3-4 teams alone that had several guys capable of playing at a much higher level ... and some of them did at one point.

Rowan, Montclair, and Cortland are obnoxiously good.

And if you think they don't recruit... I know that there's some scouting for the women's soccer team. Granted, women's soccer is one of WestConn's better programs. We got a gal about five years ago who was once playing D1 but dropped down, thanks to her they reached the Final Four in 2007 before getting blown out by some Christian college from Illinois. (Speaking of D1 talent in D3 schools...)

Rowan, Montclair, and Cortland are obnoxiously good.

And if you think they don't recruit... I know that there's some scouting for the women's soccer team. Granted, women's soccer is one of WestConn's better programs. We got a gal about five years ago who was once playing D1 but dropped down, thanks to her they reached the Final Four in 2007 before getting blown out by some Christian college from Illinois. (Speaking of D1 talent in D3 schools...)

Hmm, come to think - there are one or two players on the volleyball team from California.

Athletic scholarship or no, I cannot fathom picking Danbury over Cali. Much worse weather and absolutely nothing to do in the area.

Why would Harbaugh take the job at Michigan when NFL teams are lining up to get him? He'd be an idiot. If he fails at the NFL, there's always college to fall back on. If he fails at Michigan, well, he could coach at Idaho.

harbaugh.jpg

This is the only chance he will have at coaching his alma mater, and surely not the last chance of him going to the NFL (which is the only reason I don't want him). Rich Rod is probably going to UCONN or Pitt now, a far cry from Idaho.