2010 College Football Thread

I'm not sure the likes of Arizona and USC would have done much better. Maybe against Miss St. not Alabama though.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Big 10 had 1 relevant team this year (who is losing to a team from the "inferior" MWC) and a lot of teams who get too much publicity because of things they did years ago. Pac 10 wins.

Edited by damshow

How is the Pac 10 in any conversation of 2nd best conference when it had 2 relevent teams all year?

Because those two teams are as good as, if not better, than any team in the country. Let's look at the top 2 teams by conference:

Pac 10: Oregon/Stanford

SEC: Auburn/Arkansas

Big Ten: Wisconsin/Ohio State

Big 12: Oklahoma/Nebraska

ACC: Who cares?

Big East: Who cares?

Now, the SEC also has Alabama and LSU, undoubtedly making them deeper than the Pac 10. Nebraska isn't actually that good, certainly not comparable to the other teams, and the Big 10 has already been exposed.

Now, Oregon and Stanford might lose, that remains to be seen, but they're clearly superior to Ohio State (yeah, you're a homer anyway), and Wisconsin.

ncf_g_tank11_576.jpg

And TCU punches the BCS in the mouth. Associated Press, drop your nutsack and do the right thing please.

Sorry DMN, but this year the Pac is not the 2nd best conference with or without debate. The Pac had two teams, period. That's it. Nothing more. Two teams do not, a conference make.

Only one other team outside of Oregon/Stanford won 8 games. No, that isn't a sign of how "great" the Pac is. It's a sign of just how "decent" they are as opposed to "good." In fact, the epitomy of "average" is the 3rd place team in the Pac 10 this year ... mighty Washington at 7-6. The 5-7 Oregon St Beavers finished above 5 teams in conference. The "best" win of the Pac 10's big two teams outside of conference ? Notre Dame ... decent. The best non-conference win by the entire rest of the conference ? Hawaii ... and Iowa. Both are decent wins, but no reason to get excited. Hell, Boise S, TCU, Nevada, Wisconsin, and KState all got wins against the Pac 10 this year. Half the conference was 6-6 or worse.

No, they aren't the 2nd best conference this year. Their top 2 are as good/better than any top 2 in the nation, but that doesn't make the entire confrence good. I'd take the Big 12's depth over anyone but the SEC this year.

I LOVE it. I can't wait to see what the twats like Robert Smith and Mark May have to say now.

"If TCU played in the mighty Big 10, or any other LEGITIMATE!~ conference, they would have lost about 5 games during the season and wouldn't have made it to the Rose Bowl to take on a team that was disappointed that they weren't playing for the BCS title!" :rolleyes:

Edited by naiwf

Garbage time TDs notwithstanding, UConn kept it closer than most would have thought for most of the game. Their D looked shit in the first half but played well through the majority of the second half. Never thought they'd WIN the game, but they really had nothing to lose.

That being said, they are probably fucked the next couple of years. Their offense is shit outside of Todman, and he just declared for the draft. And then in 2012 TCU is joining the Big East and will have that on lock-down.

Edited by kbusch22

I was watching the game for a little while, which is odd since I don't particularly care for UConn while technically being from Connecticut. Anyway, the Huskies looked awful except for a handful of moments. Now they can go back to being a 7-5 team and making the Meineke Bowl or something midtier like that.

Todman leaving early might be a bit of a mistake - is he really a first or early second round talent?

I think Todman is going to wind up being a 2nd or 3rd rounder. To be honest, I'm not sure if staying an extra year would have changed that. Maybe the potential 2012 draft class is more RB-heavy or something. He's an explosive runner who can fill many different roles running, receiving, and doing kickoffs.

There might actually be a pretty good crop of UConn players in the draft. Lawrence Wilson will probably be a mid-round selection, and Zach Hurd is huge and will probably be picked somewhere. Scott Lutrus will also wind up somewhere, not sure if he'll be drafted though. Good player but injuries have hurt his draft stock significantly. Kendall Reyes may also declare.

Being from Danbury, I really hope Lutrus can stick with an NFL team. He's from Brookfield (the next town over) so it'd be kinda cool to see someone from that close make it to the NFL.

Edsal can recruit pretty well, and coach pretty well. This isn't a job where he's really moving up in program quality, UCONN is on the way up and Maryland hasn't been a national presence since the 1980s. And given the way Terps fans are, they won't settle for consistent season of 8-4, 7-5 which he's sure to bring.