Your favourite comedians

Daniel Tosh. Dude is funny as hell and Tosh.0 is good solely because of him (and stupid people hurting themselves)

This...kinda. His stand up is absolutely awesome but his show is so hit or miss (usually miss) that I just stopped watching it.

Other stand ups I like are Lewis Black, Jim Gaffigan, Louis CK (LL is right; the lack of Louis CK is worrying), Aziz Ansari and Brian Regan.

Jim Davidson, if you like his kind of humour (which I'm not normally much of a fan of) is a master at working his crowds and getting them to eat out of the palm of his hands.

He's a master at it because he's the official spokesperson of the ignorant.

I am not cool because my favourite comedians are mostly mainstream. Ricky Gervais, Dylan Moran, Peter Kay, Jimmy Carr and Jack Dee.

I've seen Dylan Moran and Ricky Gervais live as well, they were both fairly brilliant. Though either it was an off night or Gervais is starting to run out of material, because his 'Science' tour really had nothing to do with Science at all.

When I went to see Gervais he admitted at the end the show had very little to do with science. It was more to do with logic and rationale but the title Science was more in keeping with the previous names of his tours.

My favourite comedians (bolded if I've seen them live) are, in no real order:

Ricky Gervais

Bill Hicks

Steve Coogan

George Carlin

Richard Pryor

Peter Kay

Jack Dee

Ross Noble

Dave Gorman

Gabriel Iglesias, Pablo Francisco, Lee Evans, Peter Kay, Dara O'Briain, and 2 more who are Dutch.

"Me drive? HELL NAW...I'm fucked up!"

I actually enjoy Jamie Kennedy, but my all time favorite stand up performer is Robin Williams followed by George Carlin. My favorite way to judge a comedian is how they deal with a heckler.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy Chris Rock to the max. The dude comes up with some funny stuff everytime he's in a film and every time he's on stage. Dave Chapelle needs to return to stand up as he's also very funny, especially with his sketches (especially the Wayne Brady one xD). I like Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor as well. Around the British circuit I like Jack Whitehall, Frankie Boyle, Russell Howard, Lenny Henry (when he chooses to do stand-up, which is almost never) and heck I love Reginald D. Hunter (even though he's American...but still he performs regularly in Britain).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWH5XubGKLA.

I agree that Rhod Gilbert is great live. Beyond that there's a few mainstream comedians that I like chunks of; Michael McIntyre, Ricky Gervais, Peter Kay, Russell Howard.

Oh, Steve Coogan's recent stand-up show was good, but it wasn't a patch on the I'm Alan Partridge TV series.

I'll also add Reginald D. Hunter and Mackenzie Taylor to my list. I saw Mackenzie Taylor at the Edinburgh Fringe and his show (about his failed suicide attempt) was incredibly funny, charming and touching.

Patton fuckin' Oswalt, man. I think it helps that after a while, I start realizing that he is a great pop culture critic adding to the comedy. Louis CK is ballsier and more awe-inspiring in his audaciousness, but Patton's a guy that can convincingly mine humor out of watching a Law and Order Criminal Intent episode, which takes skill.

And also Paul F. Tompkins, who is a 50s throwback in style, but not in gimmick. Extremely smart assessment and I enjoy his work immensely. And throw in the Human Giant guys (well, Aziz) and the Stella guys (well, Michael Ian Black) for good measure.

Edited by ROC

Patton fuckin' Oswalt, man. I think it helps that after a while, I start realizing that he is a great pop culture critic adding to the comedy. Louis CK is ballsier and more awe-inspiring in his audaciousness, but Patton's a guy that can convincingly mine humor out of watching a Law and Order Criminal Intent episode, which takes skill.

Ginseng Hitler Bee Pollen, that's my guy!

Literally too many to list. From Carlin and Pryor to Bernie Mac and Chris Rock to guys like Dave Chappelle, Mitch Hedberg, Jim Jefferies, Jim Norton, Louis CK, Patrice O'Neal, and a whole host of others. Lately, though, I've been watching/listening to a lot of stand up from Dov Davidoff. His style might not be for some of you but he leaves me laughing painfully.