NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

Guest mr. potato head

What do you mean 'not exciting', Sloan are playing on Parliament hill :w00t:

But really, Free Agent Frenzy is never exciting. Never ever.

Last year was fucking hilarious, unless you were a Flames fan.

:(

It just didn't make any sense. Moving forward doesn't mean visiting past failures. Tanguay was a great gamble to take, especially with his contract being what it was. He even had success in Calgary before fizzling out elsewhere, so it was a calculated move with small risk and great reward. Olli Jokinen just didn't make any sense. He took a cut from what he was making, but he was still paid too much. His numbers ended up being respectable at the end of the year, but that's not what he was signed for.

Hopefully this year the moves make a little more sense. So far, they have. I'm going to miss Regehr, and I would rather have moved Bouwmeester, but they got good return in Chris Butler and some cap space to re-sign Tanguay.

:(

It just didn't make any sense. Moving forward doesn't mean visiting past failures. Tanguay was a great gamble to take, especially with his contract being what it was. He even had success in Calgary before fizzling out elsewhere, so it was a calculated move with small risk and great reward. Olli Jokinen just didn't make any sense. He took a cut from what he was making, but he was still paid too much. His numbers ended up being respectable at the end of the year, but that's not what he was signed for.

Hopefully this year the moves make a little more sense. So far, they have. I'm going to miss Regehr, and I would rather have moved Bouwmeester, but they got good return in Chris Butler and some cap space to re-sign Tanguay.

I heard a rumour that he was being shopped, so don't worry :D

I also read a random blog today on the flames....ouch. Bloggy McBlog

Just did up a list of top free agents and where I think they're headed. I'm aiming for a 5% success rate.

Forwards

Brad Richards - New York Rangers (but wouldn't it be just great if he went to Florida to help those young players?)

Ville Leino - Buffalo Sabres - wrong

Teemu Selanne - Winnipeg Jets (back where it all began for one final season)

Erik Cole - Montreal Canadiens - wrong

Jaromir Jagr - Philadelphia Flyers

Tyler Kennedy - Pittsburg Penguins - wrong

Simon Gagne - Florida Panthers (the Cats can take a risk on him without having to cut his salary like other teams will want to)

Tim Connolly - Dallas Stars (trying to replace Brad Richards, Stars sign Connolly for about half the price, getting a talented player who's often injured)

Eric Belanger - Chicago Blackhawks (two-way center is in demand this year, but will want to win)

Radim Vrbata - Phoenix Coyotes - wrong

Tomas Fleischmann - Florida Panthers - wrong

Michal Handzus - Philadelphia Flyers (Richards, Carter out... youngsters in. Veteran experience of Handzus will help up the middle for Philly)

Michael Ryder - Dallas Stars - wrong

Joel Ward - Washington Capitals - wrong

Brendan Morrison - Detroit Red Wings (will take the Modano role in Mo-Town this year)

Maxime Talbot - Philadelphia Flyers - wrong

Defensemen

James Wisniewski - Columbus Blue Jackets - wrong

Ian White - Florida Panthers (will benefit from being a big fish in a small pond on the back end for the Panthers)

Roman Hamrlik - Washington Capitals - wrong

Tomas Kaberle - Washington Capitals (someone's going to over-pay for him, and I think the idea of him starting the play for Ovechkin will be too much for McPhee to pass up)

Ed Jovanovski - Florida Panthers - wrong

Jan Hejda - Colorado Avalanche - wrong

Bryan McCabe - Colorado Avalanche (need the size on the back-end)

Anton Babchuk - Florida Panthers (can overpay to lure talented offensive threat to join up and coming team)

Sami Salo - Vancouver Canucks - wrong

Scott Hannan - San Jose Sharks (depth defender with shut-down capability and tons of grit)

Andy Greene - New Jersey Devils - wrong

Sheldon Souray - Dallas Stars - wrong

Goalies

Tomas Vokoun - Phoenix Coyotes (everyone seems to think Colorado, but Phoenix is a better team now, looking for a goalie. Too bad he won't go somewhere he can win before he retires)

Jose Theodore - Florida Panthers - correct!

Ray Emery - Colorado Avalanche (not getting Vokoun will leave a hole in net. Emery is a gamble, but played well with Anaheim)

Mike Smith - Phoenix Coyotes - wrong

Josh Harding - Minnesota Wild - wrong

Johan Hedberg - Tampa Bay Lightning (good fit for a guy who COULD be a starter, but works better as a backup. Roloson will need the support, and it gives Tampa time to develop someone for the job)

Jean-Sebastien Giguere - Montreal Canadiens (is going to have to take a massive paycut to stay in the league. Francophone star will be huge as a backup for Carey Price in Montreal)

Marty Turco - Ottawa Senators (nobody's really looking for goalies this year. Starter spots are rare and gone to better goalies. Will have to take a 1A/1B role to get work)

Brian Boucher - Carolina Hurricanes - wrong

Mathieu Garon - Tampa Bay Lightning - wrong

Peter Budaj - Montreal Canadiens - wrong

Alex Auld - Ottawa Senators - wrong

Edited by Gabriel

Didn't Selanne say he wasn't going to Winnipeg?

Also, people I wouldn't mind the Leafs signing tomorrow: Brad Richards, Maxime Talbot, Scottie Upshall, and obviously, Steve Stamkos.

Didn't Selanne say he wasn't going to Winnipeg?

Also, people I wouldn't mind the Leafs signing tomorrow: Brad Richards, Maxime Talbot, Scottie Upshall, and obviously, Steve Stamkos.

He might have said that. If he did, I missed it. As good as he is though, Anaheim isn't really progressing forward with the current crop of guys. I'm not saying they should blow it up or anything, but letting a couple guys leave and replacing them with fresh blood couldn't hurt.

Richards would be a huge coup for the Leafs. Having a legitimate number one center to dish the puck to Kessel would notch him at least 40 goals if they're both healthy all year.

Of the four, Talbot seems the most likely to sign. He can play a 2nd or 3rd line role at center, score goals, play the nitty gritty forecheck game, and he's won the Cup before. He'd be a great signing for any team.

So we signed Montador to a 4 year 2.75M contract. Not really sure what to think of him, but I assume he's on the bottom pair so his workload won't be too much.

Guest mr. potato head

Selanne's not going to Winnipeg. They'll want to make some sort of splash though so I could see them making a run for one of the big defencemen.

Colorado had better get Vokoun or else not sign a goalie and have a plan to trade maybe O'Reilly for a good one.

Toronto...lol.

And I learned last night that as a kid, my uncle played hockey with Ted Lindsay and Harry Lumley. That's pretty cool.

Biggest WTF of the day so far.

Guest mr. potato head

Andrew Brunette, TSN Wimbledon correspondent, has edged out Pierre McGuire, CFL analyst, as my favourite part of the day so far.

Are they aware that there is a salary cap in place?

Rangers bring in Rupp. 3 years /4.5 million.

-I really fucking hate rupp. Contract isn't so bad, I guess, besides being 3 years too long.

Philly signs Lilja and Talbot. Lilja 3 years /5.1 million. Talbot 5 years /9 million.

Florida signs Ed Jovanovski 4 years /16.5 Million

Florida signs Scottie Upshall 4 years /14 Million.

Chicago signs Andrew Brunette 1 year /2 Million

Dallas signs Radek Dvorak 1 year /1.5 Million

Vancouver re-signs higgins 2 years /3.8 Million

Vancouver re-signs Salo 1 year /2 Million

Edited by thisgamewelose

Oilers sign barker 1 year /2.25

Penguins sign Steve Sullivan

Islanders sign Marty Reasoner 2 years /2.7 Million.

Washington signs Hamrlik 2 years /7 million.

Dallas signs Ryder 2 years /7 million.

Jagr is getting 3.3 Million for 1 year.

Matt D'Agostini signs with blues.

Patrick Eaves signs 3 year extension in Detroit

Florida signs Jose Theodore.? 2 years?