NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

Apparently there's supposed to be a block-bluster trade with the leafs today. 4 names that are rumored "Stastny, Eric Staal, Parise, Stamkos." Really not sure how they would pull that off. I've also heard Malkin for Stastny type deal might go through, but I wouldn't bank on that.

The Stastny rumours have been there for a while now. I would be ecstatic if he joined the Leafs.

I just don't understand why Colorado would move him. He is still young enough to be part of the rebuild. Unless an offer blew me away, I would keep him if I was the GM in Colorado.

If Burke can get Stastny, I would be happy. Heck, even a cheaper option like Stephen Weiss would be an upgrade for us. Even getting a veteran like Jason Arnott on a one year deal would be an upgrade.

Toe: The reason we would deal Stastny probably has something to do with having Duchene, O'Reilly and Hishon in the ranks. Sherman would be looking to shore the blueline, or add wingers. Or even more picks.

It might also have something to do with the comments his dad made this season. Which surprises me, because his claim was twofold:

1 - The Stewart/Johnson trade ruined a team that was ready to challenge for a cup

2 - The trade set the team back two years

Now we all know the first half of this comment is pretty lol-worthy.

The second however....I mean, two years ago, where was Colorado?

Drafting Matt Duchene at #3 overall. :huh:

...Peter Stastny was right.

I honestly think that with development up front, another solid defensemen, and a good goalie, The Avalanche have a shot at the playoffs. They play in a division with one team pretty much a lock to make the playoffs (Vancouver), one team with huge salary cap issues (Calgary), one team with an even younger and on paper weaker roster (Edmonton), and a team that seems to be pretty rudderless (Minnesota). They're the team with the best shot to get the second playoff slot from that division, in my opinion.

Toe: There is just no way Stewart is not the best player in that trade.

Sean: So what is your take on Vokoun on Colorado? What about moving for Bernier? Or Schneider, if you can separate yourself from that?

Toe: There is just no way Stewart is not the best player in that trade.

Sean: So what is your take on Vokoun on Colorado? What about moving for Bernier? Or Schneider, if you can separate yourself from that?

I disagree. I believe Erik Johnson is going to be a top level NHL defenceman in the near future. Stewart is good too, but I think Johnson will be better.

Also...

WINNIPEG NHL TEAM EXPECTED TO ANNOUNCE NAME BEFORE 7TH PICK

It appears that fans of the new Winnipeg hockey team won't have to wait much longer to find out the name of the team.

The club is expected to name its team just prior to making the 7th overall pick during tonight's NHL Entry Draft, which can be seen live on TSN at 7pm et/4pm pt. Make sure to check out TSN.ca for a live hockey blog with TSN Analyst Craig Button, beginning at 6:30 pm et/3:30 pm pt.

After an explosive Thursday that watched big name players get moved, Friday could be just as volatile as the NHL Entry Draft goes tonight in Minnesota.

The Edmonton Oilers hold the first overall pick, and the consensus choice is Red Deer Rebels centre Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Nugent-Hopkins ranked first on every major scouting report, as the highly-skilled centre had 31 goals and 106 points with Red Deer last season. The Oilers have another pick in the first round at 19.

But much of the draft talk was overshadowed Thursday by major trades by the Philadelphia Flyers, who dealt two of their cornerstones within an hour of each other.

They first sent centre Jeff Carter to Columbus in exchange for Jakub Voracek, plus first round (8th overall) and third round draft picks. Then it was captain Mike Richards being moved to L.A. in exchange for Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds.

The Flyers shed nearly $100 million in salary, some of which was used to sign goalie Ilya Bryzgalov to a nine-year, $51 million deal.

Colorado, Florida, New Jersey and the New York Islanders round out the top five slots in the draft, before another Canadian team gets a pick.

The Ottawa Senators will choose sixth. They also have a second first-rounder at 21 – courtesy of the deal that sent Mike Fisher to Nashville.

The Flames will choose 13th, while the Montreal Canadiens will pick 17th. The Toronto Maple Leafs will choose 25th and 30th, while the Vancouver Canucks will pick 29th.

That is from TSN. I guessed earlier that they might do that. I have no idea what the team name is going to be.

That sounds about right.

And the Flames are close to getting Ryan Smyth...not sure how I feel about that one :/

On the one hand, his style of play is perfect for the identity that the Flames had during their cup run in 04, and that they've been getting away from over the years. They need to get back to that, because when they play that way, they do very well. On the other hand, the cap hit is over $6 million for the season. They're already tight to the cap as it is, and moving Regehr to Buffalo won't free up much space if the Smyth deal goes through. In fact, I believe Smyth's hit is more than Regehr's... so I'm a little bit baffled.

For this to work, Jay Feaster has to be getting draft picks or younger players from Buffalo... and he has to have a line on some other cost-cutting moves. Especially with the guys we still have left as free agents. Alex Tanguay should be a top priority for the team before July 1st.

Guest mr. potato head

Apparently there's supposed to be a block-bluster trade with the leafs today. 4 names that are rumored "Stastny, Eric Staal, Parise, Stamkos." Really not sure how they would pull that off. I've also heard Malkin for Stastny type deal might go through, but I wouldn't bank on that.

Eklund is not a reliable source for anything.

Eklund is not a reliable source for anything.

He's basically a joke.....only correct like....5% of the time.

I like the move. Liles is the puck mover we need, and he can be teamed with Schenn or Aulie to have a defensive defender with him. The price isn't bad either. It's a 2nd rounder in next years draft.

Still want a good center, but this move adds to our depth on the back end and plugs a glaring hole. The powerplay was dreadful last season.

Guest mr. potato head

Make a trade. Richards only seems good because the rest of the market is so bad, and the Leafs have so much defense that at this point they need to get rid of some of it.

To say nothing of how boring all those 1-0 shootout losses will be.

You know, you have a good point there...that's likely why I'm over-valuing the guy.

Plubby and I decided, a good basis of a trade:

Clarke MacArther + The Monster for Paul Stasney and their backup.

I would do it, would require some tweeking. But Plubby seemed to like it :shifty: