NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

I COULD NOT see them trading both of them...seriously, why? Why do this? It's like they're blowing up the team....

Think again. Giroux, Van Riemsdyk, Simmonds, Schenn, Voracek, Versteeg, Leino (and probably whoever they snag with the 8th overall) is a forward group that looks deadly for years to come.

They might not be contenders next year but that's a potentially scary lineup further up the road.

edit: And I forgot Briere.

I COULD NOT see them trading both of them...seriously, why? Why do this? It's like they're blowing up the team....

Think again. Giroux, Van Riemsdyk, Simmonds, Schenn, Voracek, Versteeg, Leino (and probably whoever they snag with the 8th overall) is a forward group that looks deadly for years to come.

They might not be contenders next year but that's a potentially scary lineup further up the road.

edit: And I forgot Briere.

Until they start hitting R/UFA and they're where Chicago was.

I don't understand trading Mike Richards. This guy was the captain of the team. He was the leader. Philly does have an excellent group going forward, but they lost a lot of offensive pop by moving both Richards and Carter. I understand freeing cap space, but they could have moved Versteeg and Carter or Richards.

This does set the price if Paul Stastny is available.

EDIT - And 9 years for Bryzgalov? He will help them, but that is a lot of years.

Edited by Toe

Richards was the captain but disappeared in the playoffs

Guest mr. potato head

I am really excited for the draft. Plubby will be amazed that I say this but I would actually take Huberdeau ahead of Landeskog - unless I'm Colorado maybe, because they already have a Huberdeau type in Duchene. It's like the Sakic/Forsberg dilemma, and not just because of their nationalities.

I get the feeling their could be a lot of trading - Larsson is the best fit for Edmonton, so maybe they trade down a couple spots and get a solid player while allowing another team to grab Nugent-Hopkins.

Until they start hitting R/UFA and they're where Chicago was.

They were completely up against the cap with Richards' and Carter's contracts anyway, they just did the inverse of Chicago and traded the bigger stars instead of the smaller parts. They've got at least a year or two of breathing room and if Holmgren manages it correctly and trades when he needs to, they're probably fine.

The more worrying thing, I think, is that ridiculous Bryzgalov contract.

I am really excited for the draft. Plubby will be amazed that I say this but I would actually take Huberdeau ahead of Landeskog - unless I'm Colorado maybe, because they already have a Huberdeau type in Duchene. It's like the Sakic/Forsberg dilemma, and not just because of their nationalities.

I get the feeling their could be a lot of trading - Larsson is the best fit for Edmonton, so maybe they trade down a couple spots and get a solid player while allowing another team to grab Nugent-Hopkins.

I agree. This could be a fun draft. I think it may not have a Crosby or Ovechkin at the top, but this draft class had depth. I think Calgary and Ottawa may try to pick up a few more picks.

Guest mr. potato head

*there

I called MTS earlier to cancel my Manitoba cell phone. The last thing the customer service said to me was "good luck out there eh". I'm a little stuck in his accent. :shifty:

If Huberdeau spends his career on the wing, I am not furious that we take him....but I really want us to have Landeskog.

Although taking Landeskog may just remind Goofy Greg Sherman ™ that we COULD have had Stewart AND Landeskog, and he probably won't want to have a reminder of his failure lying around.

I am really excited for the Philly trades, in all directions. Only bummer is that it thins out the goalie market, making it more likely that we end up with Vokoun. I hope we're looking at moving one of our firsts for a Bernier/Schneider type or something like that.

As a Flyers fan, I'm pretty much stunned right now. Highly skeptical these moves are an improvement.

As a Flyers fan, I'm pretty much stunned right now. Highly skeptical these moves are an improvement.

Bryzgalov is a major upgrade in goal.

Then we have Richards and Carter out.

Simmons, Schenn and Voracek in.

The Flyers are already pretty deep at forward, so even if only one of those three guys really breaks out, it's not too big of a loss. The veteran leadership is still there. Briere and Leino aren't going anywhere, and the defense is good.

Not to mention the three picks that Philly gets (1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders).

They might suffer offensively in the short term, but they will be much better in their own end... and long-term, Schenn and Voracek have the potential to be better point-producers than Richards and Carter.

This is one of those times when I would say that the deals make sense, and have benefit, for everyone involved. Good old fashioned hockey trades here. I like it.

Okay, I'm getting a wider perspective by checking out various hockey discussions, and there's a rumor that these trades were made because Mike Richards and Jeff Carter both slept with Scott Hartnell's wife, and Chris Pronger as a result told management they didn't fit in the room anymore.

Also, Flyers fans are enraged they didn't just trade Hartnell's wife.

Oh, Philly sports fans.