NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

The Oilers are going to take Nugent-Hopkins, but the team can't afford to continue rebuilding and turning over, because it's a never-ending cycle. They draft and acquire young guys, things start looking up, young guys leave for greener pastures... and it will continue, ad nauseum, unless they start focusing on the here-and-now. They're stock-piled with prospects right now. They should be drafting Adam Larsson, who is ready to play in the NHL next season, and play big minutes at defense. A good defense will allow the young forwards more opportunities for offense.

Larsson makes more sense.

They'll take Nugent-Hopkins.

Guest mr. potato head

I still think it makes the most sense for them to trade the pick if they can get a decent player out of it, move down to #4 or so.

I still think it makes the most sense for them to trade the pick if they can get a decent player out of it, move down to #4 or so.

Oh, most definitely.

If they can trade down a few spots in exchange for someone who can help now AND still pick up a top prospect, then that is definitely the best option for the team.

I just think it's silly that they would take Nugent-Hopkins. He might play in the NHL next year, but he definitely wouldn't help the team as much as Adam Larsson... and then when he can start to really chip in, the guys like Hall, Paajarvi, Omark, etc. will be either on their way out, or commanding a contract that requires other roster sacrifices.

Best part of the first selection: The Oilers new road jerseys. That looks so much better than the retarded piping on the last ones.

EDIT:

Colorado, selecting at number 2, would benefit most from picking up Gabriel Landeskog. Someone made a Forsberg/Sakic comparison earlier here, and I think it's exactly what they need right now.

EDIT 2:

I figure it'll be Larsson going to Florida at #3. Dale Tallon really likes draft picks who can step in and challenge for a roster spot right away, and I see that being Larsson's biggest advantage here. Huberdeau wouldn't be a bad selection, especially if Stephen Weiss's days in Florida are numbered, but I like Larsson, based on Dale Tallon as the general manager.

Edited by Gabriel

Guest mr. potato head

Islanders with a surprisingly good pick. Getting excited for the Jets reveal.

I'll stop posting now unless someone else does :shifty:

I really like that a lot of these teams seem to be making the smart pick, as opposed to the easy pick. Islanders and Ottawa, back to back, overlook Couturier in favor of something they need.

That said, Couturier would be a good fit for the Jets.

EDIT:

Scheifele was also a good choice. I like that the Jets used their first pick back in Winnipeg to select someone who's had to work harder than everyone else to get to where he is. Good building block right there.

Edited by Gabriel

Guest mr. potato head

I like how Beatnik and I were joking that if Toronto ever got a high draft pick, the guy's TSN comparable would be Luca Cereda or Kent Manderville ... and then they draft Biggs and his comparable is Colby Armstrong.

I am not a fan of that pick. He could develop, but Toronto needs skill. Still, Percy is a good pick and getting Liles should improve the team next season. I am still unsure about our #1 center, but there is still time for Burke to pick up Stamkos for Colton Orr <_<

Also, what the hell, Florida? Why take on Brian Campbell's monster deal, and get nothing else in return?

Edited by Toe

I am not a fan of that pick. He could develop, but Toronto needs skill. Still, Percy is a good pick and getting Liles should improve the team next season. I am still unsure about our #1 center, but there is still time for Burke to pick up Stamkos for Colton Orr <_<

Also, what the hell, Florida? Why take on Brian Campbell's monster deal, and get nothing else in return?

The Panthers were in a position where they had to get to the salary floor. They unload a guy who they didn't feel was part of the future for the franchise, they reach the cap floor, and they get a puck moving defenseman to get the puck up to their young and talented forwards. Seems like a good deal to me.

So after the heartbreak of having to watch the draft go by on twitter on a phone rapidly running out of battery, I have my power back online now.

Very interesting day, all I really have to say is:

LANDESKOG :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I like the move made by Minnesota and San Jose. The Sharks had a ton of depth, so they could afford to lose Setogutchi. Now they have added a very good defender with a rocket shot. Minnesota gets Setogutchi, San Jose's 1st rounder (Zack Phillips) and 2nd, plus San Jose's first from last season (Charlie Coyle). The Wild are rebuilding, and this adds to their prospect pool while also giving them a good offensive player who is still growing.