EWB PRO'S POLL Volume 1

ROC

78 members have voted

1. 1. What console do you prefer at present (or do you not)?

• Xbox 360
    • Playstation 3
    • Wii
    • Fuck dem consoles.
    • Kaval

This is a horrible excuse for a thread, since I'm finally exiting my dinosaurian age and planning to get one of the two big systems. I'm leaning on PS3 because of the Blu-Ray, the PSN games, and that the times I was able to play it, I freaked the fuck out over Super Stardust HD, but has the online experience of Xbox been improved as well as the "red ring of death" troubles? I might want one of the Elites simply because it is badass, and the Mass Effect games are more of a gaming sell than Little Big Planet and Killzone.

Still, what do you guys think? Or hell, are you guys constantly online? I'd love some gaming shiz with the EWB fellas.

Edited by ROC

What do you mean by online experience improving? If you mean random people yelling racist/sexist/etc.ist comments through headsets and being annoying, that's still there. Red Ring of Deaths are not too big of a problem with the newer consoles, so just make sure you buy new if you're getting a 360. Of course if you by the new 360 slim you don't ever have to worry about the RRoD>> Mass Effect is also a great series, and as soon as the 2nd one ended I was already anticipating the 3rd.

PS3s are great as well though, and once I have some extra money that's what I'll be picking up next. Blu-Ray, especially with a HDTV player, is worth it in my opinion. Plus some great titles, and the online is free.

As for the Wii, if you're going for online gaming experiences, probably won't find as much there. Still, I want to pick one up sometime so I can play the new games coming out this year(Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc.)

I don't think you can go wrong either way you go, as all of the consoles now are well into their life cycles and are somewhat on equal ground. I know there are quite a few people constantly online on both consoles, so you should be fine.

These threads are silly because Xbox 360 always wins because there is simply are larger number of people who have them because they came out much earlier and are cheaper. People bought them in their droves as a result, while the PS3 is the better technical machine in every single way.

As far as the games go, it depends on which exclusives appeal to you more.

I agree with Cool Blue, but as a PS3 user and never having ever thought of having an Xbox, I have to say PS3. :shifty:

For the PS3's argument, you may want to look into the recent updates that includes forms of Facebook integration and whatnot.

And you do get the 360, I'd wait until you see what the general consensus with the new slim is, as I found video online of it over heating. Whether it was fake or not, I don't know. Also, I personally find the 360 ugly, but that's just me. Not that fond of the PS3 slim either, I have the sexy beast that is the original model.

One other thing, you may want to wait to see how Kinect/Move pans out. If you want to get into either, you may find one's game range is better than the other, and if you don't it could then possibly limit you.

On the point about online, I'm not really worried about the "experience" kids cursing and so on. It's more if the connection is stable, which I imagine it probably is.

The Blu-Ray sways me more towards PS3, if only because I have a new TV that I'd like to bust in with good HD quality things, although, depending on what I get online and other purchases, I may worry about that less.

I don't know about the new 360 slim overheating to the point of not working, but my new slim gets warm faster than my older models for sure. Still, it's supposed to have a mechanism that detects if it's overheating and shut it off until it's safe to play again.

ModernWay brings up a good point if you're thinking about joining the motion control frenzy(which I will be >>)

If you're going for things to make the most out of your HDTV, then go PS3. The games that do crossover, if designed on the PS3 first, will look a lot better(FFXIII comes to mind), and you'll only need one disc instead of 3. Also a lot of great games for it like I mentioned earlier, and seems to be a better option to experience HD to the fullest as far as consoles go.

EDIT: Yeah, more 360 EWBers(though the PS3 community is growing), though I'd be cool like LL and get all three.

Obviously the Blu-ray capability is a massive bonus for the PS3, but if the games and online aren't as good as you'd like, you'll end up shelling out more for a 360 in the end anyway. It's usually best to look at the exclusives as the multi=platform titles are virtually identical in most cases, and the PS3's technical advantage is negated by a lot of games being developed for 360 (because it's easier) and ported across. 360 also has a larger library, and generally there's far more pre-owned 360 titles about, it seems PS3 users like to hoard. I can't take the Wii seriously as a console <_<

Also, I hate the XMB, it's horrible to navigate. Not a massive fan of the 360 dashboard, but I find it easier to get around.

I agree with Dragsy. Most of the multi-platform titles are developed on the 360 for ease meaning that sometimes there are a few issues with the port to the PS3.

However when a game is developed from the ground up for the PS3, you can often notice the difference. There is less clipping, fewer problems and the graphics are often better.

Heavy Rain sows a bit of what the PS3 is capable of when developers focus on it alone, and there are numerous other PS3 specific games that are pretty special.

People comment about the difference in colour and sharpness between the two systems (saying the PS3 is more muted and not as vibrant) but they're wrong and are playing with the wrong graphics options. You can change the options on PS3 to make the colours more vibrant.

PS3. Still love my Wii to death and I have every game on it at the moment that I can think of wanting to give me my classic fix, plus there's a larger number of games I want on the Wii than on the PS3; however, I just use my PS3 more. The internet browser, the Bluray/DVD player, the content-off-my-hard-drive-streaming, the games themselves, et all with the PS3 is just doing the best job for me right now in terms of what I'm looking for. Refuse to ever give up on the Wii though, love the console and will keep playing it, just likely not quite as much.

That being said, as a whole I suppose I'd say I support Nintendo more than Sony, actually. I'm a Nintendo fanboy though so really that's just a given.

I have played and owned all three consoles - played the major games for all of them and in the end the only system that I can say works for me is the 360.

Microsoft has done an amazing job at making me feel attached to the damn thing - even when I had the Wii and the PS3 I could never play anything that was cross platform on either of them because I just wanted to add to my roster of 360 games, up my gamerscore with these new gems and enjoy the control that I felt the 360 gave me. The controller is superior for the types of games that I like to play at least - the Wiimote has been nothing by glitchy and shaky for me, and the PS3 controller really needs to evolve (not in the sense of Move, I mean in the sense of controller layout) if I am ever going to use one again. I just could not play a damn shooter with the clunky thing.

Heh. Funny innit.

I've never gotten to grips with the 360 controller. Ergonomically I can't get comfortable with it and the front shoulder buttons are just terrible.

However I adore the PS3 controller. For me they got it pretty much right with the first PS2 analogue and so these little alterations they've made since have just been icing on the cake. They don't need to change it for the sake of changing it. It works perfectly.