Superman: Man of Steel ***SPOILERS***

livid

My perspective on him is limited, but judging from Watchmen I find him really dull. Watchmen was an adequate movie with a couple of strong performances (Haley, Wilson), dragged down by bits where it felt like he was missing the point of the comic and some of the most cringeworthy soundtrack choices I have ever heard in film. He could do a good job but I was honestly hoping for a director who would have an interesting take and visual style for the character, and Snyder isn't that director.

Snyder isn't the director for what this film needs to be. As GoGo said, his work on Watchmen was a fairly uninspired adaptation of the book that missed the point in a lot of crucial places and really didn't bring anything new to the table. Similarly, his work on 300 was notable only for its total submersing of the story for the rippling abs and nasty right-wing subtext which rapidly became the text in the second hour.

This movie, ultimately, needs to be a human story, it's the only way to make the Superman character work because as has been noted, it's difficult to get peril and drama out of the superpowers alone. You need to combine the mythical Kal-El story, the very universal human story of a young man coming of age and finding his place in the world to lead a life of significance, with the visuals and fight scenes and costumed adventuring stuff... Snyder will be very good at the third part, I have no doubt, but his ability as a storyteller has been conspicuous by its TOTAL absence in his previous two films.

I think Nolan will keep Snyder on a leash, if he indeed needs one.

Superman Returns did a WHOLE LOT right. They kept the Superman Theme from John Williams, they kept a whole lot of the basic elements that made the original films so good and they kept the opening credits style but updated it to be more modern. Problem was they didn't reboot it, first off. Superman does not need a sequel, it needs a reboot. So many people I know haven't even seen Superman: The Movie. In order for these people to be brought into the mythology, we need a reboot.

• 3 months later...

So we have the new Superman...

Warner Bros. Pictures has announced that Henry Cavill will play Clark Kent/Superman in the Zack Snyder-directed Superman movie:

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today that Henry Cavill has won the coveted role of Superman, the iconic superhero.

The film will be directed by Zack Snyder, who stated, “In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen. I also join Warner Bros., Legendary and the producers in saying how excited we are about the casting of Henry. He is the perfect choice to don the cape and S shield.”

Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Deborah Snyder are the producers of the film. The screenplay is being written by David S. Goyer based on a story by Goyer and Nolan. Thomas Tull and Lloyd Phillips are serving as executive producers.

Cavill recently wrapped production on “The Cold Light of Day” and stars in the upcoming “Immortals,” opening this fall.

Targeted for release in December 2012, the new Superman movie will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

Source

Quite underwhelming to me because I haven't really seen Cavill in anything and despite being a little on the short end, Matthew Bomer was the perfect fit, I think.

Thoughts?

Cue Fox News complaining about a non-American playing Superman in 3... 2...

When he shaves, Cavill looks the part, and I'm all for an unknown in the role, but that didn't really help Superman Returns. I also don't trust Zack Snyder with Superman, and I like him, but Superman just doesn't seem like his type of movie. Hopefully Nolan will keep him in check as suggested though.

Also, rebooting = :rolleyes:

We all know Superman's story, it's probably the most known Superhero origin story, ever, I really hope we don't have to go through all that again... especially since we've had an entire television series dedicated to it in the last decade.

Either way, Superman's not that big of a deal to me, so it's not going to stress me out too much.

• 2 weeks later...

The local press is going nuts about Cavill being cast - he's a local prep school boy. That is literally the only thing I knew about this film before coming in to the thread, and I can't see Cavill in the part and, like Zero, really don't care about seeing another Supes reboot. He's not a character I've ever cared for, and from the sounds of things this movie isn't looking likely to change that, though I've fallen out of love with comic book films since Watchmen anyway.

The local press is going nuts about Cavill being cast - he's a local prep school boy. That is literally the only thing I knew about this film before coming in to the thread, and I can't see Cavill in the part and, like Zero, really don't care about seeing another Supes reboot. He's not a character I've ever cared for, and from the sounds of things this movie isn't looking likely to change that, though I've fallen out of love with comic book films since Watchmen anyway.

This is the first movie Superman reboot, so I am unsure why you would say another. Superman Returns wasn't a reboot at all, it was a badly executed relaunch and continuation from the first two films.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Michael Shannon to Play Villain General Zod in 'Superman: Man of Steel'

Michael Shannon as General Zod will face off against Henry Cavill's Superman in director Zack Snyder's Man of Steel.

Warners Bros. announced Sunday that Shannon, who received an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor for Revolutionary Road for his performance as a mentally-troubled man and who has also been seen as a stern federal agent in HBO's Boardwalk Empire, has been cast as Superman's nemesis.

"Zod is not only one of Superman's most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others don't. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role," Snyder said.

Zod, like Superman, is from Krypton, where he commanded its armed forces. The character appeared in both 1978's Superman and its 1980 sequel Superman II, where he was played by actor Terence Stamp.

The developing cast of Man of Steel also includes Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Martha and Jonathan Kent.

Shannon, repped by CAA and Byron Wetzel Management, will next be seen in Sony Pictures Classics' Take Shelter, from director/writer Jeff Nichols.

Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Deborah Snyder are the producers of the film, which will be distributed worldwide by Warners. The screenplay is being written by David S. Goyer based on a story by Goyer and Nolan. Thomas Tull and Lloyd Phillips are serving as executive producers.

Source.

• 3 weeks later...
German actress Antje Traue has been cast as Superman villainess Faora in Warner Bros./Legendary Pictures' "Man of Steel."

Henry Cavill stars as the titular superhero, while other confirmed cast members include Amy Adams as Lois Lane and Michael Shannon as General Zod, as well as Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as Jonathan and Martha Kent.

There are multiple Faoras in the Superman universe, so it remains unclear which one Traue has been tapped to play. The first Faora, Faora Hu-Ul, was introduced in Action Comics #471 as a beautiful Kryptonian woman with an intense unexplained hatred for all men. She was an expert at the Kryptonian martial art of Horo-Kanu, which utilizes pressure points on the Kryptonian body and made her a dangerous foe for Superman to fight in hand-to-hand combat. In fact, he was forced to flee from their first encounter.

That said, it's more likely that Traue will be playing the version of Faora that debuted in Action Comics #779 as a Pokolistanian aide of General Zod. That character was an orphan metahuman with the ability to disrupt molecular bonds, which allowed her to create a mutagenic virus that served as the linchpin of Zod's plan.

In pop culture, the female Kryptonian named Ursa in "Superman" and "Superman II" is believed to be based on Faora, who appeared on the eighth season of "Smallville" as the wife of General Zod.

Zack Snyder is directing "Man of Steel" from a screenplay by David S. Goyer, based on a story by Nolan and Goyer. Christopher Nolan is producing alongside Charles Roven, Emma Thomas and Deborah Snyder, while Legendary topper Thomas Tull is exec producing with Lloyd Phillips.

Production is scheduled to start this summer in Chicago, with a release planned for December 2012.

Traue was last seen playing the female lead alongside Dennis Quaid and Ben Foster in Overture Films' "Pandorum." Thesp recently wrapped Renny Harlin's war drama "5 Days of August," which stars Val Kilmer, Andy Garcia and Heather Graham.

Traue is repped stateside by Greene & Associates Talent Agency, and by Troika and Spielkind overseas.

Source

• 1 month later...