Superman: Man of Steel ***SPOILERS***

livid

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm resurrecting this thread to give my thoughts on the film after seeing it. No real spoilers, but just in case.

Man of Steel proved that Superman does not fit in to the cookie cutter mold that a superhero movie has become. The end battle looked exactly like the end battle of The Avengers. Giant alien metallic snake like things attacked him. Too much was going on at once. You know the part in Superman: The Movie when Superman finally reveals himself to humans for the first time by catching Lois Lane? "I've got you!" "You got me? Who's got you?!" There is NOTHING like that in this movie, and I think it hurts because of it. Also, while the threat in this movie was against the entire world, Superman and General Zod were very much only the U.S.A.'s problem. No other countries seemed to care about the oncoming apocalypse. We should have been shown that. Superman is EARTH'S protector, not just Metropolis'. Plus, while yes a Batman cameo would've been amazing, I understand why they left it out. However, SOMETHING should have been done to expand the DC universe. This was DC's chance to start building a credible universe on film that audiences want to see linked together on screen. In this film's universe, Superman is the only one with special abilities. They got this one wrong. See it. It is a GOOD movie given everything negative I said about it. It's a popcorn flick. It's not the Superman, DC Film game-changing movie it needed to be.

• Like 1

Nah, it's not a good film. It's very disjointed and the sudden jump from the first act to the second is horrible.

EDIT: Oh, but Henry Cavill, Russell Crowe, Amy Adams and Michael Shannon were as brilliant as they possibly could be, though. The film hurts their performances more than the other way around.

Edited by Extremely Huge Bag of Shit

I really enjoyed it. It was probably the best Superman film yet. But... I can admit, it needed to be just a bit better. It was good, though. The fight scenes were awesome. I'm not sure we should be letting Zack Snyder direct the rest of them though. You could definitely see his weakness as a director shining through at times...

I wouldn't listen to the critical response, by the way. Apparently not being a Richard Donner film and not being a super fun superhero film means it's awful.

• Like 2

Ultimately, it left me wanting more of this Superman and wanting to watch it again, which I'd put as a win. Really hope this does well at the box office. Opening night made £21 mil (more than Avengers or Iron Man 3), but needs to ultimately recoup something insane like £350 million.

I really enjoyed it. It was probably the best Superman film yet. But... I can admit, it needed to be just a bit better. It was good, though. The fight scenes were awesome. I'm not sure we should be letting Zack Snyder direct the rest of them though. You could definitely see his weakness as a director shining through at times...

I wouldn't listen to the critical response, by the way. Apparently not being a Richard Donner film and not being a super fun superhero film means it's awful.

Pretty much this but I didn't think Snyder did that bad of a job. I'd prefer it if someone else were to do Justice League but I would ultimately be fine with it if the same team (him, Goyer and Nolan) is still involved.

The cast was pretty much perfect. Some of the roles weren't given much to do but that's understandable in the first film of a franchise. It will be interesting to see who they pick as the villain for the next one though because it's going to be hard to top Michael Shannon as Zod.

And do I even need to even talk about the score? Hans Zimmer is a fuckin' genius.

I love the main theme Zimmer composed for MOS. It's not as uplifting as the John Williams theme, but it fits the tone of the film to perfection.

As for the sequel villain:

I'm certain Lex will have to show up in the sequel. Hell, I was half expecting to see him in the post-credits. Mind you, he'll surely have a secondary villain to do the grunt work. I'd love to see Bizarro show up, but I'm not sure he'd match the tone of the series. I'm also hoping Brainiac appears at some point too. My familiarity with the Superman TAS version of him had me hoping for a cameo on Krypton.

Edited by HeadCheese

One thing in the movie that confused and/or bemused me...

So Clark is doing a random job up in Canada/the Arctic, just like he was doing a random job on a boat before having to move on...etc. Anyway, he goes wandering off in the middle of the night and finds the big buried scout ship in the ice.

Is he just wandering around ice fields for giggles, or was he able to sense/see the hidden ship from the camp maybe?

I admit that this may not be an important thing. :shifty: