2010/2011 UEFA Champions League

EddieG

Oh how I remembered the Scottish/Portuguese Leagues comparisons from a few months ago, after these two games...laugh.gif

People actually argued that the Scottish league was better? :huh:

People argued that both leagues were equivalent.

Ahahaha. Equivalent to the Cypriot league maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

To make me feel better about tonight: Tottenham's European football stats.

Played: 129

Won: 77

Drawn: 26

Lost: 26

Home wins: 50

Home defeats: 3

Away wins: 26

Away defeats: 23

Looking forward to this one.

Apparently it's the biggest game in Spurs' history. Wish I knew why football only actually was invented in 1993...

My favourite was Andy Burton on Soccer AM, managed to keep a straight face through the whole thing of just: "Well I know quite a bit about them now as I sat up on the PC late into the night downloading lots of videos of Young Boys. They look impressive.." etc. etc.

The biggest game in our history was surely either the semi final of the 1961/62 European Cup (lost) or the final of the Cup Winners Cup when we became the first British team to win a European trophy....

Reporters have very short memories these days. Sure it means a big windfall but a game to get into the group stages off the Champions League isn't on the same page as a game to get to the finals of the old European Cup.

They were saying that the game against Man City last season was the biggest game in Tottenham's history.

For both I would say recent history but not history full stop.

Anyway, we do need to win a trophy in this decade to continue our run as one of only two teams, along with Man Utd, to win a major trophy in every decade since the 50s (although their list is a bit more impressive).

50s

First Division (50/51)

60s

First Division (60/61)

FA Cup (61)

FA Cup (62)

Cup Winner's Cup (63)

FA Cup (67)

70s

League Cup (71)

UEFA Cup (72)

League Cup (73)

80s

FA Cup (81)

FA Cup (82)

UEFA Cup (84)

90s

FA Cup (91)

League Cup (99)

00s

League Cup (08)

...and some other nonsense trophies like Anglo-Italian and Charity Shield.

Most of Tottenham's cup wins are right at the start of the decade so it'll be nice to keep that going this time around....Cos we missed out last time.

Should Spurs get into the group stages, they aren't going to be seeded are they? Being that it is their first time in the competition.

Tottenham's UEFA club coefficient currently has them ranked 24th in Europe (see rankings here). A huge chunk of their score comes from their UEFA Cup performance in 06/07, which will drop out of contention next year.

This places them around the same level as PSV or Sporting Lisbon in the seedings...wherever they are.

EDIT: just found this wiki link which says that Spurs will be seeded in Pot 2 or 3, depending on what other clubs might qualify.

Bwahahaha I just assumed we'd be into pot 4. That's excellent. To be honest, if we make it, I want one mega-club in our group - like a Milan club or one of the big Spanish teams.....And a weak pot four team.....And a reasonable pot 2/3 team which should make a top two spot possible and an entertaining adventure to get to it.

The biggest game in our history was surely either the semi final of the 1961/62 European Cup (lost) or the final of the Cup Winners Cup when we became the first British team to win a European trophy....

Anyway, we do need to win a trophy in this decade to continue our run as one of only two teams, along with Man Utd, to win a major trophy in every decade since the 50s (although their list is a bit more impressive).

Exactly my thought, straight away 61/62 European Cup semi final. Almost as great as the season before what with doing the double but then we fell down just shy of the treble purely due to small squads in that day and age. Now we'd have pissed up.

As for a trophy, it's inevitable the year ends in 1 ;) 'Arry to bring home the quadruple.

Edited by lanky316

If I understand this correctly, the following results are required in the CL Play-offs for Tottenham to be seeded in Pot 2:

- Braga beat Sevilla

- Sampdoria beat Werder Bremen

- Auxerre beat Zenit St. Petersburg

Otherwise they will be in Pot 3.

Not going to happen, really.