2010/2011 Europa League

EddieG

Well put simply, the referee couldn't keep his whistle out of his mouth. Every time Kiev pushed men forward and we got the ball back, they flopped. With most referees, you would see those sort of free kicks given a couple of times until they think "Oh, this little cunt is having me on", to which said free kicks would not

Thing is, for the most part they WERE fouls loads of little niggles and trips which were bloody frustrating. What he did do though was take note of the various standard time wasting ploys and play lots of stoppage time, which he did (even added a minute for a relatively quick sub). He knew they were making a meal of things and didn't book players and made them leave the pitch ASAP.

Problem is Bally had one of the worst half hours football I've seen for a long time and City despite dominating position didn't really create a chance. Ref had a decent game and didn't make any real mistakes. What is it with English sides and blaming foreign officials?

Wait. Are you suggesting that English sides don't blame English officials?

Not at all, however in the last couple of weeks we've seen two English sides fans whining they were cheated when neither referee has made a single mistake of any consequence which wouldn't have raised an eyebrow here. At least Scousers so far have seemed fairly dignified. If Arsenal or City had things go against them fair enough but nobody cOst them anything.

3 Portuguese teams in the quarter-finals. Amazing!

Quite honestly, I only really wanted Benfica there, since I hate both Porto and Braga.

Hey, I'm not a hypocrite, I hate them and I don't care if they're Portuguese, and there's no way in hell I'll ever root for Porto, a.k.a. "Corruption R Us".

Stupid CSKA and Liverpool.

Oh, and I really loved to see how many Benfica fans were in Paris tonight. There were more Benfica fans than PSG fans! Now THAT is amazing.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat

Officials were shite at the Liverpool game the linesman on my side didn't have a fucking clue at all but thats football its what you do on the pitch end of the day and we just didn't cut it.

Great atmosphere to be at though just a shame we didn't look like doing much, seemed to lack creativity, said it to me mate before the game that our problem was the fact that we'd only have Kuyt/Carroll/Ngog (Who looked decent when he came on) If we had Suarez we'd be able to have a creative spark.

Fair play to Braga on advancing.

edit: haha was just watching some highlights on youtube and spotted me in a closeup off the linesman in the front row. Channel 5 celebrity now :P

Edited by davidmarrio

Quarter-final draw (7 &14 April)

FC Porto (POR) v FC Spartak Moskva (RUS)

SL Benfica (POR) v PSV Eindhoven (NED)

Villarreal CF (ESP) v FC Twente (NED)

SC Braga (POR) v FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)*

Semi-final draw (28 April & 5 May)

1: Braga/Dynamo v Benfica/PSV

2: Porto/Spartak v Villarreal/Twente

Final (18 May, Dublin Arena)

Winner semi-final 2 v Winner semi-final 1

So City and Liverpool would have faced each other if they both got through, that would have been a decent tie for the neutral.

Quite honestly, I only really wanted Benfica there, since I hate both Porto and Braga.

Hey, I'm not a hypocrite, I hate them and I don't care if they're Portuguese, and there's no way in hell I'll ever root for Porto, a.k.a. "Corruption R Us".

Oh, and I really loved to see how many Benfica fans were in Paris tonight. There were more Benfica fans than PSG fans! Now THAT is amazing.

I wanted Braga to go out, but now really want to get through both portuguese teams to win the cup .Shame it might be too much of a dream, but it would be amazing to beat Porto at the final. If we get to the final I will do my best to be in Dublin that night.

I wanted Braga to go out, but now really want to get through both portuguese teams to win the cup .Shame it might be too much of a dream, but it would be amazing to beat Porto at the final. If we get to the final I will do my best to be in Dublin that night.

The one good thing to me that could come out of a Benfica-Porto final? Neutral field, no golf balls allowed. (For the non-Portuguese out there, Benfica has been received with golf balls and other objects in Porto's stadium since last year, and in Braga's as well during this year. Porto paid a fine of about 2200£ and Braga about a 7£ fine, despite players getting hit more than once during the matches. It's Portuguese football for you, folks!)

• 3 weeks later...

Really happy with how we outplayed PSV for most of the game and got a really good result out of it. A shame we had to concede that goal, but I think we are in a pretty good situation to get to the semis, something we haven't done in a UEFA competition since 94 in the old Cup winner's Cup, something I don't even remember.