nPower Football League Thread 2010/2011

Adam

• Admin
QPR manager Neil Warnock has admitted he does not know if he will be in charge of the club next season in the Premier League.

The club were handed the Championship title when the FA confirmed QPR would not be docked points for breaching transfer regulations on Saturday.

QPR vice-chairman Amit Bhatia has said Warnock's job is safe - but the 62-year-old remains cautious.

"I'm not totally confident - it's one of those things," said Warnock.

"I don't want to leave London and I will be disappointed. I'm sure my stock has not gone down - but anything is possible.

"I spoke to my two leaders Flavio [briatore] and Bernie [Ecclestone] this morning and both wished me all the best. I hope my contract is watertight!"

QPR were three points off the relegation zone when Warnock signed a three-and-a-half year deal in March 2010, joining the Loftus Road club from Crystal Palace.

And 14 months on Warnock has led the club into the Premier League for the first time in 15 years after the FA lifted the threat of a significant points reduction regarding Argentine midfielder's Alejandro Faurlin's ownership during his 2009 transfer from Instituto.

That announcement at 1144BST on Saturday sparked huge scenes of celebration at Loftus Road, although the west London club have been fined £875,000 after being found guilty of two of the seven charges against them.

The independent tribunal had been scheduled to deliver its findings by 1600 BST on Friday but the verdict was delayed because of the weight of evidence.

Warnock hailed the resolve of his players after they were presented with the Championship trophy following their anti-climatic 2-1 defeat by Leeds.

"The lads have been through agony over the last seven weeks. We never planned anything with what has been hanging over our heads - but I think tonight we might celebrate."

And Warnock said his team have been rightly rewarded for their consistent performances, despite suffering only their second home defeat of the season against Leeds.

"How the players have coped has been amazing, Ali Faurlin in particular," Warnock told BBC Sport.

"To do what they have done this season has been absolutely incredible."

Warnock described his team's promotion as the "best moment" in his 32-year managerial career.

"To turn it around in 14 months is fantastic," he added.

"I brought a lot of players in, some players who thought they were finished, some who thought they would never get a chance of promotion.

"I told them from day one we have a hell of a chance if you stick with me.

"As a team we have entertained wherever we have gone, we have only been beaten six times this season and we have played some incredibly good football."

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins has said the club have not ruled out taking action following the Football Association's decision not to deduct points from QPR.

QPR escaped a deduction despite being found guilty of two charges relating to the signing of Alejandro Faurlin.

Having earlier accepted the ruling, Jenkins said his club will review their position after finishing third.

"Somebody needs to look at the detail involved and then we can perhaps take it from there," he said.

"I think everybody will be quite keen to see what the decision was based on, considering the fact they took so long to come out with any decision.

"It seemed there was a lot to answer at one stage but then today when you hear about the decision it seems very little to answer. If that was the case why has it taken so long?

"First and foremost, we've got to concentrate on the field, and from our point of view we can't hide from the fact we finished the highest position we've finished for probably nearly 30 years.

"We've got to take that on board but then, in this day and age with financial implications and what that brings with the Premier League, no doubt we better look at the detail as well."

Following Cardiff's game at Burnley, chief executive Gethin Jenkins told BBC Wales the club had accepted the FA's ruling on QPR who were fined £875,000 for two breaches of regulations.

The Bluebirds finished the season in fourth place, one below Swansea on goal difference, following a 1-1 draw at Burnley.

"The decision has been made by the panel. It's done. We finished fourth and we concentrate now on the play-offs," said Jenkins.

"The judicial process has run its course as far as we're concerned. We're concentrating on Reading on Friday night.

"We're ready for it, we're prepared and looking forward to Friday."

Prior to Swansea's 4-0 victory over Sheffield United Huw Jenkins had also told BBC Wales he accepted the FA's ruling.

He said: "At least this puts an end to it. We can all move forward."

Prior to their final match of the regular season against Sheffield United at the Liberty Stadium, Swansea were fourth in the Championship.

Jenkins was critical of the decision to delay the announcement of Rangers' fate, which was finally confirmed on Saturday.

"Obviously we did comment that perhaps the timing wasn't right. But I think in general we didn't get involved in any speculation," Jenkins told BBC Radio Wales Sport.

"We focused on our game today and we were preparing for the play-offs. Whatever news came our way we would take and accept and move on.

"I suppose it's good to get something finalised and we can all move on and get on with what we need to do over the next few games and concentrate and focus on the play-offs."

Warnock should definitely stay if they're willing to keep him. I've heard rumours of him going to West Ham and stuff which just seems ridiculous, why go to a team that are odds on to be relegated when you've just got promoted (for the 7th time I think?) to the Premiership. Baffling.

In L1 news, a decent season for Carlisle. Finished mid table in the end but righted last years wrong and won the JPT Final after being losing finalists last year. Unfortunately I went to last seasons trip to Wembley with my fellow 25,000 supporters and saw the 1-4 loss, and didn't go to this final, so I fear I may now be banned if they make it again next season. :(

Imperative to hold onto Zoko and the like. Problem with a L1 team is you essentially need a new squad every 6 months because the bully boy big teams just come in and flash cash and the players are off. Eg. Madine going to Sheff Wed for very little improvement in football quality but obviously bag loads of cash.

In all the ensuing kerfuffle of QPR and the Championship points docking issue I've forgotten that one of my greatest managerial loves has finally been rekindled after what feels like decades apart.

Paul-Jewell-Ipswich-Town.jpg

Whinging pie-faced adulterer, and all round lying shitehawk cretin Paul Jewell returned to our television sets with his bizarre comb over and pointy nose as manager of Ipswich Town!

Look at him, doesn't he just make you sick? He's already been unable to keep Norris and MacAuley and let's hope that the likes of Wickham, Leadbitter and others see sense and move to a properly managed team in the league.

Good to see you again Paul! See you in hell.

• Admin
Paolo Di Canio is set to meet Swindon chairman Jeremy Wray to discuss becoming the Robins' new manager, BBC Wiltshire understands.

The club have refused to comment, but Di Canio is believed to be one of eight applicants set to sit down with Wray.

Swindon parted company with Paul Hart last month after their relegation to League Two.

Former West Ham and Sheffield Wednesday striker Di Canio, 42, retired from the game three years ago.

He was linked to the manager's job at Newport County in April, but later withdrew his application.

Micky Adams has already been offered a return to Port Vale on a three-year contract.

When did Port Vale get rid of their manager? They had a pretty decent conclusion to their season didn't they?

And Di Canio at Swindon just doesn't seem to compute. Shame I won't get to see him at Brunton Park next year, would have had to come up with some left-wing/anti-facist stuff.

Lawrie Sanchez appointed as Barnet boss

Barnet have appointed Lawrie Sanchez as their new manager, with Giuliano Grazioli as his assistant.

Sanchez took over as a consultant for the last four games, winning two and drawing one as the Bees avoided relegation from the Football League.

Former Bees striker Grazioli took caretaker charge one game earlier following Martin Allen's switch to Notts County.

Barnet escaped relegation on the final day by beating Port Vale 1-0.

• Like 2

I fancied Swansea to go up from the start and you've gotta see them getting to the final now. Swansea vs Cardiff would be the dream final I suppose but I'm going for Reading to get through.

After Lutons fans proud moment of attacking the York players for doing them last year . Hope the buggers stay down.

Yeah every single one of us 'attacked' them. No wait that was 100 idiots. Every club has their portion of idiots, it's just ours did something particularily idiotic. The rest of the club doesn't deserve to be punished because of these people. I am by no means defending what happened, but sick of people tarring all of us with the same brush. I know we are the villains in this dream story of AFC, and god I wish it was both of us going up, but I will hopefully be the one celebrating on Saturday.

After Lutons fans proud moment of attacking the York players for doing them last year . Hope the buggers stay down.

Yeah every single one of us 'attacked' them. No wait that was 100 idiots. Every club has their portion of idiots, it's just ours did something particularily idiotic. The rest of the club doesn't deserve to be punished because of these people. I am by no means defending what happened, but sick of people tarring all of us with the same brush. I know we are the villains in this dream story of AFC, and god I wish it was both of us going up, but I will hopefully be the one celebrating on Saturday.

To be fair I'll be happy with whoever goes up, I really want Wimbledon to rise through the leagues and overtake Franchise FC but at the same time I felt Luton were unfairly treated by the League, whoever doesn't go up this year I want to go up next.

I hope that Cardiff get thrashed by Reading tonight, but I can't see it for some reason; I think we'll be having an all-Welsh final.