nPower Football League Thread 2010/2011

Adam

Didn't realise that we did not yet have a thread for the upcoming season! This thread's for everything concerning the Championship, League One and League Two. I should be going down to the ticket office the day after tomorrow to get my first away tickets of the year, we've got Preston on the opening day. Who are you all following and what are your expectations this season?

I'm a fair-weather fan and so pick the places where I live/have lived and this year am supporting Cardiff and Colchester. I expect Cardiff to do well again, but have to wonder what effect the failure to get up last season will have on them, and just how stretched they are financially. As for Colchester, I don't expect us to get out of League One this season and expect a return to mid table obscurity following a few seasons of overachieving. To go from Lambert to Boothroyd to Ward sums up the clubs fall in ambition really. (I think Boothroyd cost us a place in the playoffs last season with his lump it football.)

Yeah Cardiff are an interesting one. It's uncertain at the minute how much money they have and Ledley has left...plus Whittingham and Chopra both rumoured to be leaving too. I think if they keep most of their squad together they'll have another good year. I might be going down for my first visit to the CC Stadium on August 21st, but it'll cost a fair bit.

Yeah Cardiff are an interesting one. It's uncertain at the minute how much money they have and Ledley has left...plus Whittingham and Chopra both rumoured to be leaving too. I think if they keep most of their squad together they'll have another good year. I might be going down for my first visit to the CC Stadium on August 21st, but it'll cost a fair bit.

I hear it's a really nice stadium, to be fair can't be worse than Ninian Park! Didn't see any matches there last year as I was in Barcelona, actually lived right by the stadium as well, managed to go to 6 matches, now that's a depressing thought, trading in the free flowing football of Barcelona for the football of the Championship.

I'm not living in Bournemouth this year but I'll be cheering for them in spirit. More importantly I'm living in Bristol again so I'm gonna try to see how many City games I can get to. Can't afford a season ticket sadly. But with Coppell and the Midlands teams that usually dominate out of the way, I think we can push for a playoff place and maybe more.

C'mon the O's!

I haven't actually been to The Orient for a while so I'm just a supporter in spirit. I could barely name their team this year >_>

But regardless someone has to support them! C'mon yoooooou OOOOOOOOOOOO'S

Will go to the Carlisle matches when I have the time. Starting with the opener against Brentford at Brunton Park, a week before the big boys kick off.

Hoping for a solid season from Carlisle again, something mid-table but they need to sign a few players quickly. They haven't replaced the likes of Horwood (released), Keogh (fucked off to the South) and maybe even Aldred (played a couple of games and fucked off for more money at Watford.)

Ah the trials and tribulations of watching League 1 football. You play one good season and you're signed for pittance by a team a few places higher in the league than you.

I'm not living in Bournemouth this year but I'll be cheering for them in spirit. More importantly I'm living in Bristol again so I'm gonna try to see how many City games I can get to. Can't afford a season ticket sadly. But with Coppell and the Midlands teams that usually dominate out of the way, I think we can push for a playoff place and maybe more.

I hope this is not the case :angry:

Just kidding. Coppell is going to do good things with City. Unfortunately :(

I'm in the curious situation of having chosen to support Charlton Athletic even though I lived in Worcester. I got into them on a whim at the age of 7 and, despire common sense saying I should, I haven't been able to let go, despite the fact I barely ever get to games because it's not feasible for me to travel to London every couple of weeks. I'm going to our League Cup game against Shrewsbury though, and hopefully we won't have a repeat of last year where we were dumped out by Hereford. Of course, promotion is the main hope this season, and since there are more midland based teams in the Championship that would be great for me as well as the team.

I'm in the curious situation of having chosen to support Charlton Athletic even though I lived in Worcester. I got into them on a whim at the age of 7 and, despire common sense saying I should, I haven't been able to let go, despite the fact I barely ever get to games because it's not feasible for me to travel to London every couple of weeks. I'm going to our League Cup game against Shrewsbury though, and hopefully we won't have a repeat of last year where we were dumped out by Hereford. Of course, promotion is the main hope this season, and since there are more midland based teams in the Championship that would be great for me as well as the team.

As a fellow Worcester guy, last season was a disgrace from Worcester City. We went from a decent enough mid-table side in the BS North, then got moved to the BS South (generally thought of as the weaker division) and managed to go down (we were saved by someone else getting relegated for financial issues but we still finished in the drop zone). Unless we improve we could end up in the bottom three again, especilly ith no Weymouth to prop up the divsion (though IIRC we lost to Weymouth last season)

As a fellow Worcester guy, last season was a disgrace from Worcester City. We went from a decent enough mid-table side in the BS North, then got moved to the BS South (generally thought of as the weaker division) and managed to go down (we were saved by someone else getting relegated for financial issues but we still finished in the drop zone). Unless we improve we could end up in the bottom three again, especilly ith no Weymouth to prop up the divsion (though IIRC we lost to Weymouth last season)

I know, it was absolutely awful. I'd been an avid fan for a fair while, but my spirit just got gradually broken throughout the season. It's a miracle we're still at this level. I think Carl Heeley did quite well when he took over though, and the 4-1 on the last day of the season was a positive sign, but it could well be a long hard season again.

I know, it was absolutely awful. I'd been an avid fan for a fair while, but my spirit just got gradually broken throughout the season. It's a miracle we're still at this level. I think Carl Heeley did quite well when he took over though, and the 4-1 on the last day of the season was a positive sign, but it could well be a long hard season again.

Carl Heeley did well enough I reckon, well worth giving him a full season to work with. The link up with Birmingham City could help a lot this season (if we get a few good youngsters). Though the main thing on WCFC's future is a stadium move I think. St. George's Lane is, to be brutally honest, a ancient stadium in dire need of renovating but the cost of it would be too high for a side at Worcester's level. Last I heard they had agreed to sell St. George's Lane to fund a new stadium in Nunnery Wood with B&Q, though they had planning permission turned down but were appealing when I moved away to Ireland. I used to sell programmes on match days when I was 15/16 so have a fondness for the old stadium but it's long been time to move away.

Though this season will be the one where Shabhir Khan become a rock at the back (no the fact I was friends with him at school, Christopher Whitehead, isnt making me biased at all :shifty:)

Carl Heeley did well enough I reckon, well worth giving him a full season to work with. The link up with Birmingham City could help a lot this season (if we get a few good youngsters). Though the main thing on WCFC's future is a stadium move I think. St. George's Lane is, to be brutally honest, a ancient stadium in dire need of renovating but the cost of it would be too high for a side at Worcester's level. Last I heard they had agreed to sell St. George's Lane to fund a new stadium in Nunnery Wood with B&Q, though they had planning permission turned down but were appealing when I moved away to Ireland. I used to sell programmes on match days when I was 15/16 so have a fondness for the old stadium but it's long been time to move away.

Though this season will be the one where Shabhir Khan become a rock at the back (no the fact I was friends with him at school, Christopher Whitehead, isnt making me biased at all :shifty:)

I'll miss St Georges Lane, it's a five minute walk from my house so on a purely selfish level it'll be a pain. But I've been going there since I was four years old, and even though it's a run down tip it's got it's quaint charm about it. I always liked Shabir Khan, good solid defender, lot of passion as well, which was another thing lacking this year. I still hope for a half decent mid table position this year, and it's good to have the local derbies back in the Blue Square North, but it'll be a case of wait and see.

Hopes: Promotion for Bristol Rovers, obviously.

Expectations: 7th after being "in an around" the playoff spots all season. I'm looking forward to this season though, because we have Exeter, Plymouth, Swindon AND Yeovil. AND both Plymouth games are on Tuesdays, so I can see them both.

As for Truro City, promotion to Blue Square South would be epic, then we could get promoted to the Blue Square Premier and bankrupt everyone with travel costs! Seriously though, Bath would be the closest by a considerable margin, York and Southport will have to set off a fortnight before the game. :shifty: