nPower Football League Thread 2010/2011

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't anyone else think that this is brilliant news?

They got out of their situation without a single points deduction in the championship, they cut their debt down to FIVE PENCE IN THE POUND and, to top it all off, they sack most of their non-playing staff, youth players and catering guys and give them a fraction of their severence pay... before signing Kitson, Sonko and Laurence on £20k per week contracts.

Who can honestly say that they DON'T deserve to be liquidated and started at the bottom of the pyramid? There'd still be a Portsmouth, but not one reaping the benefits of the Championship whilst simultaneously pissing on all of the debtors that got them where they were in the first place.

If the League had blocked the signings that clearly broke their wage structure (hell, that structure was agreed as part of the CVA) then Portsmouth would be trapped in an infinite cycle downwards. They wouldn't have the players to get out of the league, whilst basing their future on being able to survive in the league. If the club hadn't been playing in the Premier League last season then they'd already BE in liquidation.

Loads of Portsmouth fans were up for the idea of starting afresh at the very bottom, for Portsmouth could have been liquidated at almost any point in the past few years... instead their fans have watched their club suffer uncontrollably whilst they could have been watching them attempt to climb the pyramid of the football league.

As long as this version of Portsmouth FC exists, it will continue to suffer. If you can't afford to pay back debts at 5p to the pound then you're clearly in much deeper shit than is possible to survive. That is 95% of the debt practically written off.

EDIT: I know it sounds harsh but every time I hear that plucky Portsmouth has won another hearing against the odds it angers me knowing that football clubs with similar loyal fans have been closed down for much less, much quicker.

Edited by The General

Its shit on the fans that's the only way i'm looking at it not the buisness sense cause people have paid money to watch them, travelled to away games etc etc all these years and to know your football club is pretty much going to die it's kinda hard to put yourself into that situation.

Hopefully they'll be able to possibly form a new club like Wimbledon. Also kinda fucks up the league in a sense, what happens does everyone get a win against Portsmouth? What happens with one of the FA Cup 3rd round ties?

I don't think it's good news at all...mainly because I've just bought tickets to our away game at Fratton Park in 3 weeks! But seriously, I'd hate to see any team go bust, although I think maybe it needs to happen as a wake-up call to some of the teams that just aren't being run properly at all in this country.

I mean, how did Pompey afford to bring in Liam Lawrence & Dave Kitson last month? Those players have really helped to turn their form around and I just don't get how they can afford them.

Isn't Lawrence on loan with an option to buy or did they actually sign him?

Theyre both on loan, but they're on very high wages.

Yes, they've been sold...to someone who already had a crack at being in charge last season. I won't be surprised if this still isn't the end of trouble for Portsmouth, but at least I have a game to go in 3 weeks now.

I'm quite surprised we managed to get Andy Reid on loan from Sunderland. Hopefully he'll give us a little something extra in midfield.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, the big news out of Bristol Rovers is that we sacked Paul Trollope after falling into the relegation zone. It's a risky situation. By no means has Trolls been perfect, but this kind of decision can go both ways. We are at a crossroads at the club - a stadium that won't materialize and debts continue to pile up. We need to solidify ourselves in this division. I feel like it's going to be a return to the problems of before (struggle and strife at the bottom of the league) unless we get this right. Sadly, I don't trust our board to do that. But, they did it with Trollope before so maybe they'll do it again?

Whatever happens, thank you Paul Trollope for the work you have done. You worked hard and I hope you can take everything you learned at the Mem and move forward in your career. Good luck and thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, obviously, Crystal Palace have sacked George Burley, which I think is understandable. What's weird is that apparently they're going to make an approach for Steve Coppell. Coppell has done a good job at Crystal Palace in the past, but I think he proved his head isn't in the game by bailing on Bristol City after three months and two games. If he takes the job and is committed you can't much better a choice, but in their situation can they really afford to take such a risk?

The other manager sacking that I'd like to comment on is Phil Parkinson being axed from the Charlton post. As a Charlton fan, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. Admittedly Parkinson hadn't achieved what we might have wanted from him, but at least he was solid and reliable and certainly improved on the reigns of Dowie, Reed and Pardew in my opinion. Of course, if we get a good appointment I'll be satisfied, but personally I would have given him until the end of the month, let him have the big game against Tottenham at the weekend, and then see if he can improve results against Sheffield Wednesday, Plymouth and Southampton.

Meanwhile, Walsall have sacked Chris Hutchings. Has that man ever done anything positive as a manager? His accomplishments seem to be "riding on the coat tails of Paul Jewell."

Edited by jack95

• Admin

Word on the street is that Ipswich have finally lost patience with Roy Keane and dropped him like a cold bag of sick.

Eddie Howe is also strongly linked with Crystal Palace. I really hope he doesn't make the move as right now them and Bournemouth are really close in terms of where they're at. Plus the Cherries are his team and I'm going to see them play Brighton in a couple of weeks!! Coincidentally, I was also at his first game two years ago vs. Wycombe. Talk about full circle, should he end up going.