nPower Football League Thread 2010/2011

Adam

Macclesfield Town fine whole team after Wycombe brawl

Macclesfield Town have fined every player, the manager and assistant manager involved in the fixture against Wycombe after an injury-time brawl.

Chairman Mike Rance said: "Clearly the majority of the participants on both sides were attempting to calm rather than exacerbate the situation.

"But we have concluded the actions of Macclesfield Town players on the pitch could not be condoned."

Both clubs have requested a personal hearing for their misconduct charges.

"After reviewing the evidence available to us we have reached the conclusion that it is difficult to differentiate between the roles played by and the intent of the many players involved," he added.

Both clubs have been charged with a breach of FA rule E20 (a) - a failure to ensure that players and/or officials conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and/or refrained from provocative and/or violent behaviour.

The match, which Wycombe won 1-0, was referee James Adcock's debut in a Football League contest.

I feel sorry for the ref, couldn't have been the easiest first game to ref in the Football League. Props to Macclesfield for taking action against everyone involved though, other teams should take note.

It was the ref's first ever league game too!

:shifty:

Yeah, that brightened my day when I read it earlier. Even better because Rovers supporters were like "lol enjoy your relegation Bristol City!" at the start of the season. Have fun playing Crawley Town next year!

Edited by Pesci

• Admin

Not football league but amusing nonetheless:

Dorchester Town's Ashley Vickers was sent off for tackling a pitch invader dressed in a mankini in his side's 3-1 defeat at Havant & Waterlooville.

The incident occurred with Monday's game at 1-1. Dorchester ended the game with eight men after Jake Smeeton and Kyle Critchell were also dismissed.

Vickers, 39, told the Dorset Echo: "I'm dumbfounded and speechless. I thought I was doing them a favour.

"The ref lost the game after that and he knew he had made a great error."

Player-manager Vickers had been forced to play in the Blue Square Bet South clash because his squad are missing many senior players with injury, including midfielders James Coutts and Jamie Gleeson.

"It beggars belief. Their players told the ref not to send me off and their chairman even offered to take a player off to even things up," said the Magpies boss.

"In hindsight I perhaps shouldn't have done it but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'm sure people will crucify me for this but I have broad shoulders."

The Havant & Waterlooville fan, who has been identified as Alan Young, admitted he ran onto the pitch for a bet and the club have since been charged with supporter misconduct by the Football Association.

Young told BBC Radio Solent: "It was only a bit of a joke, we all agreed at my local pub on Sunday I'd do it as a bet.

"The security there were too slow but Vickers caught me quite well. He should be a rugby player.

"He hit me quite hard so by the time I had got up I didn't know where I was on the pitch because I hadn't expected the tackle.

"The security did ask me afterwards if I was OK but to be honest I enjoyed myself so much I didn't really care what happened at the time."

Havant boss Shaun Gayle told BBC Radio Solent: "The person I feel sorry for is Ashley Vickers, all he tried to do was deal with it and the referee has sent him off.

"If he had just grabbed him and held onto the lad then the ref might not have sent him off. He [Vickers] was obviously wound up with the situation, his side had just conceded a goal.

"That's the thing that goes against him a little bit, but that's up to the powers that be and of course we'll do everything we can to help him."

This is not the first time a sportsman has clashed with a pitch invader. A similar incident happened during cricket's 1982-83 Ashes series in Perth when Australian pace bowler Terry Alderman captured an England fan who had run onto the pitch and slapped him.

Alderman dislocated his shoulder as a result and was consequently sidelined for 18 months.

Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds escaped punishment in 2008 after he had tackled a nude streaker during an international match against India.

The International Cricket Council decided Symonds had not breached section 4.2 of the players' code of conduct relating to physical assault on a player, official or spectator.

It is yet to be confirmed whether or not Dorchester will appeal against Vickers' ban.

Video. Oh dear.

Players should never touch a pitch invader, what's the point of even having the hassle afterwards? As long as they show on physical threat towards a player, then it should be left to the stewards. But for the ref to red card Vickers is one of the more stupid things I've seen, a quick word would have done.

Ref's only following the rulebook unfortunately. Shouldn't be a red card, he was doing the whole game a favour really...but rules are rules and I suppose it could lead to legal ramifications. Gotta be careful with stuff like that.

• Admin
QPR have been charged with breaches of seven Football Association rules over third-party ownership and agents.

They relate to the signing of Argentine midfielder Alejandro Faurlin in 2009.

The club have been charged with agreeing a deal with a third party for Faurlin's economic rights and failing to notify the FA of the arrangement.

It is also alleged QPR used or sought to pay an unauthorised agent and, along with club official Gianni Paladini, submitted false documents.

The charge the club and Paladini both face relates to when the 24-year-old signed an extended contract last October.

A statement on the club website said: "Having co-operated fully with the FA's investigation, QPR and Mr Paladini shall be denying all of the charges and requesting a formal FA hearing to determine them.

"QPR and Mr Paladini are confident that there has been no deliberate wrongdoing involved."

Just when everything was going swimmingly for them, this. I'm sure they'll just get fined though, West Ham are the predecent.

• 3 weeks later...

RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWR.

Shame I went to last years and not this years but glad Murphy righted last years wrongs, didn't shut the commentators up much either mind you but still. Superb goal for a centre back. Thought Brentford were gonna sneak back into it in the second half but no shots on target is truly appauling, can't claim they deserved anything out of it regardless of possession if the most the goalkeeper has to deal with is catching crosses and clearing back passes. (And no hitting the post doesn't count as on target ¬_¬)

That Schlupp looks a good player for them, but still, cynical foul on possibly United's best player was ridiuclous.

WEMBLEY! WEMBLEY! WE'RE THE FAMOUS CARLISLE UNITED AND WE WON AT WEMBLEY!

• Admin
Hereford and Torquay have both been docked points and fined by the Football League for fielding unregistered players in their match on 1 February.

Hereford have been deducted three points for playing Rob Purdie in the game at Plainmoor, which they won 3-1.

Torquay will lose one point for fielding Jake Robinson.

Both clubs missed the 1200 GMT deadline for player registration on the day before the match, an error which led to the deduction and £10,000 fine.

Torquay stay seventh in League Two despite the deduction, while Hereford slip to 21st, only five points above the relegation places.

The Football League punishment dictates that both clubs must pay 25% of their fine within seven days, with the remaining balance cleared by the end the next season.

Hereford chairman David Keyte told BBC Hereford & Worcester: "Two clubs offended in exactly the same way for the same match and our expectation was that the penalty would be the same.

"We have left the hearing to discover that Torquay have been penalised just one point to our three with an identical fine so that has left us a little bit bemused and disappointed.

"As they say, you are either pregnant or you are not pregnant and the deadline was 12 o'clock.

"Our paperwork was with the Football League by 1430GMT while Torquay's player wasn't registered until 10 o'clock at night.

"So whichever angle you go at we have a slightly stronger case than Torquay, or so we thought, and yet we are walking away with three times the penalty."

Torquay director Bill Phillips was similarly disappointed, adding: "We have 28 days to appeal, so there is time to consider our options."

Purdie, 28, signed for Hereford on 31 January until the end of the season following his release by Oldham.

Robinson, 24, also arrived at his new club on transfer deadline day, moving to Plainmoor from parent club Shrewsbury on a loan deal until the end of the campaign.

Congrats to Crawley who gained promotion to the Football League today after a 3-0 win over Tamworth. They have 94pts after 41 games and have only lost 3 times in the league all season. It wouldn't suprise me if they went on to gain succesive promotions, they have a very good squad that would compete at League 2 level now and have some decent financial backers aswell.