Civilization Thread!

Ruki

Whilst that may be true, that wasn't the original point from KS. Basically, why remove something just to sell it back to people later on? Bit greedy really.

In fairness, they've not really removed it and added it later, they've removed it and replaced it with something significantly better after they've had time to test it and make sure it works well, which is essentially what Kevin put after he read through.

Removing sounds like we are still playing Civ 4. We are not, it´s a new game and it feels new for many right and some wrong reasons.

I expect good to come of this expansion, just as they delivered with on the old game. I know many people missed religion and espionage, i miss a better tech tree and i am sure that will be something they are tackling as well. If they do it right they can still push this towards a point were it might be in discussion of being the best civ. (wich i think is something that is mostly reserved for 2 and 3 right now)

Yeah, this sounds much better than the way Civ IV did religions, where there was no significant difference between the religions other than when they were founded (turning Choose Religions on made them even less indistinguishable as you could do things like found Christianity before Judaism by researching Polytheism).

• 2 weeks later...

I hated the old style Religion because it was abused as a money whoring device, especially if soneone rushed their research to grab a handful if them. This at least sounds more balanced like the current culture setup.

• 3 months later...

Yep yep.

The Austrians are amazing. You can basically annex any city state on the map at a moment's notice (paying them enough to become an ally then 500 more to diplo marriage them, so in practice never more than 2000 gold total). With no diplomatic penalty either! Beyond the "settling near our borders" one anyway... Plus the Coffee House unique building is a pretty badass production boost.