The Scottish Football thread

METALMAN

Yes it would.

But hopefully With a little bit of time and Distribution of wealth and so on a more competitive exciting league would attract tv rights cash. Hibs vs hearts was a great match and spectacle. Neither of the old firm involved.

The fact the only attraction is the old firm says it all. The atmosphere at Celtic park is atrocious for most league games and you only get a sense of occastion for the old firm. If rangers not being in the SPL meant fans had to care more about other matches and be as passionate about them as the old firm im all for it.

And if rangers get voted back into the SPL So that's it's business as usual it's disgusting. Mainly due to the people they have screwed over.

Edited by Christain#1

I agree they shouldn't be re-admitted but I think its the other SPL clubs who vote on the decision and for example St Mirren get more in gate receipts when they play Rangers do compared to say Kilmarnock. With SPL clubs not in the best of health I think money may win over morals.

The SFA would be forced to impose sanctions on them because fans of the other clubs wouldn't be impressed and then rangers fans would threaten the usual boycott of away matches anyway.

Rangers need 7 of the other 11 clubs to vote them in and, as I've said before, the clubs will vote them in for purely financial reasons (both tv deal and higher gate receipts).

The 11 SPL clubs won't do what's best for the game, and certainly won't feel they have responsibility beyond protecting their own interests.

Hell, those in charge of the game won't do what's best for it - they'd rather sit in their closed shop/old boys club and line their pockets, so why should the clubs be any different?

• Admin
Rangers chairman Malcolm Murray is confident Ally McCoist will remain as manager next season under the new regime. "We want Ally to commit, then move forward," Murray told BBC Scotland. "It's our stated policy that he's an integral part of the club and he's been told that."

Get Rangers out! I don't give a fuck about them. The Glasgow Herald publishes (or published, I don't read it so much anymore) an SPL table which takes all the Rangers and Celtic results out of consideration, and without them, it's bloody exciting and competitive between the other ten teams. I don't care if there's not as much money. The quality of football isn't great but it's decent enough and more important than anything else, games between teams other than Rangers and Celtic are exciting. Getting rid of Rangers won't do any harm there.

• Like 5

Get Rangers out! I don't give a fuck about them. The Glasgow Herald publishes (or published, I don't read it so much anymore) an SPL table which takes all the Rangers and Celtic results out of consideration, and without them, it's bloody exciting and competitive between the other ten teams. I don't care if there's not as much money. The quality of football isn't great but it's decent enough and more important than anything else, games between teams other than Rangers and Celtic are exciting. Getting rid of Rangers won't do any harm there.

Except for the Celtic ass raping everyone part, yes.

You'd kind of have to get rid of both of 'em ...

Can you post that table?

I would, but I think it is only in the newspaper!

Except for the Celtic ass raping everyone part, yes.

You'd kind of have to get rid of both of 'em ...

Already said that didn't matter. Plus, out of the three major Scottish trophies, Celtic only won one of them. Things are actually more competitive than they have been previously.

So you're wrong.

Celtic "ass raping" Kilmarnock in the League Cup final:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOte057euM4

Celtic "ass raping" Hearts in Scottish Cup semi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOem9bqAnwA&feature=related

Now stop being ignorant.

• Like 2

Rangers won't be included in the fixtures for next years SPL. 'Club 12' will be used as a place holder team name.

• Like 1

• Admin

Where've you seen that?

EDIT: Ah, Rangers website.

THE SPL are replacing Rangers with "Club 12" in the official list of fixtures for the 2012/13 season which are released tomorrow morning.

The governing body is sticking to the schedule of announcing the matches as planned but have taken the Ibrox men out of the list after the developments of last week which saw Rangers FC change ownership under a newco scenario.

The Sevco consortium headed by Charles Green completed the purchase of the club and its assets last week when HMRC refused to support an exit from administration through CVA.

They are now seeking to transfer the SPL share from the old company - Rangers Football Club plc - to the new company, The Rangers Football Club.

All 12 member clubs need to vote on this application and eight votes are required for Rangers to be playing SPL football next season.

A date for this vote has yet to be set so the SPL have decided to use "Club 12" in their list of fixtures in order to cover all eventualities.

If the transfer of the SPL share is successful then Rangers will assume the "Club 12" fixtures.

The fixtures will be announced at 9am tomorrow.

You can't "just join" League Two. If you were to join the English league system then you'd have to start right at the bottom, where AFC Wimbledon and FC United did.

Why not? Has anyone tried before? The Football League and the Conference are different organisations as far as I'm aware, and the Conference deal with mainly semi-professional teams. The Football League can effectively do whatever they want within their leagues. Of course the clubs of the The Football League and particularly the clubs of whichever league the club would be entering would have to agree to the admission to the league, which would probably be split 50/50 and therefore amount to nothing anyway. But you never know.

What Lineker said. If you really want to join the English pyramid, then get applying to the Evo-Stik First Division North. Seriously. There would be so much uproar if you came into League 2 and it would be a heinous travesty.

If justice is to truly prevail, then this 'new' Rangers will be cucked into the Scottish Third Division. Livingston were demoted to that league by the SFL when they went bust in the First Division, and teams like Clydebank just fell into oblivion. I hope the SPL clubs vote them out but I'm not going to bank on it.

I think we'd be happy with that, but I doubt the clubs in those small leagues would welcome such a big club. Kind of like putting a bear into a dog home. Saying it's a heinous travesty is a bit much considering it wouldn't affect this season's results. It would be a travesty if a club which thought it had won promotion was then told "er, yeah, we're gonna take the Jocks instead, back to the Conference with you". I doubt it would cause any uproar whatsoever if the Conference had one less promotion spot granted to them by the Football League for one season.

If justice truly prevails, the people responsible for the demise of Rangers will be going to jail. The club, it's staff and the fans should not have to suffer as they are not at fault, but have suffered, and forever will. I didn't particularly like what happened to Livingston, as it fucked up the lower leagues for a while and ultimately didn't do anything as they're right back where they were. In Rangers' case, it's a lot more like Gretna. The club is totally kaput, hence the formation of Gretna 2012, who were not granted a re-entry to the Scottish Football League. Still not sure how Annan managed to take that place though.

And when it comes to Clyebank FC, they're still "technically" in the SFL playing as Airdrie United after they were bought over and re-named.

Rangers fans really are awful. Greedy, selfish and also smelly. :rolleyes:

Most football fans are, in my experience.

If they get voted back in the SPL does that mean they would be debt free? Obviously apart from the season ticket money(which should be reduced surely) do they need to negotiate sponsor deals again or would they just sign over if they retained SPL status. Same with the player contracts and so on.

Obviously if they don't get back in it's not an issue but I'm struggling to see how when rangers owed so much money to creditors they,re assets were sold to green and not used to make cash for the owed creditors.

The new club is debt free, yes. But Rangers will never be re-admitted to the SPL or the SFL. I think people are missing this. It will not be the same club, despite all the bravado saying it will be. It's sheer propaganda from the cunts who simply can't admit that Rangers are dead.

The trouble is would an SPL without the old firm derby survive? Surely it would devalue their tv rights without it.

Yes. And yes.

The biggest concern is how all the clubs will have to decrease their spending to matched their decreased revenue. Some clubs will have no problems, but the smaller clubs will struggle at first to adjust. It would take a couple of years in my opinion before the water goes calm again.

The SPL would either get super-exciting or turn into the Celtic show. There's no way of knowing at the moment.

---

I also have to say, I still think as a former Rangers fan, that this will still be for the best for Scottish football in the long-run. The entire league structure needs to be re-thought. The fact we only have four leagues included in the tier-system is incredible. I know logistics can be a problem, especially in winter, but we could easily have lower leagues split into North/South like the English Conference and below.

Edited by The Kraig

Kraig is right - the Football League is a different organisation from the Conference, just as it is a different organisation from the Premier League. That's why, until fairly recently, clubs finishing bottom of the league could apply for reelection - finishing top of the the Conference ddn't mean that promotion was set in stone. The de jure situation is that the Football League can admit whoever they want.

• Admin

But realistically, the convention is that there is promotion/relegation to and from the Football League and into the Conference. Technically yes they are different organisations and could say no but they never will. The only exception I can even think of was when Falkirk (I think?) got declined entry into the SPL as their stadium was not up to scratch.

If Rangers wanted to join the English league then they would need to start right at the bottom, no joke on nothing.