The Scottish Football thread

METALMAN

He's rather active at the moment. Don't think the Rangers shirt is particularly bad, its standard blue with a niceish white trim.

Edit: Hearts one up. Any idea who's co-commentating? As I completely neutral observer (I don't give a toss whatsoever) I've just seen Jelavic push off Obua in the Hearts area and fall over, for the commentator to claim penalty because 'Jelavic wouldn't go down otherwise'. Silly silly man.

Edited by Colly

If you don't follow Cadj already on Twitter, now is the time to do so.

:lol: It'll only get worse.

He's rather active at the moment. Don't think the Rangers shirt is particularly bad, its standard blue with a niceish white trim.

Edit: Hearts one up. Any idea who's co-commentating? As I completely neutral observer (I don't give a toss whatsoever) I've just seen Jelavic push off Obua in the Hearts area and fall over, for the commentator to claim penalty because 'Jelavic wouldn't go down otherwise'. Silly silly man.

Davie Provan I believe.

The second commentator on Sky Sports 2 may as well have just told us which Rangers player name he had on the back of his strip it was that obvious. Mind you Hearts dominated for the first half only to seemingly let Rangers back into it in what was, by large, a rather dull match ¬_¬

How do Celtic and Rangers even perform in the Champions League when their success stems from good performances from the likes of David Healy, Anthony Stokes and Darryl Murphy? I just don't understand it.

Really like that Izaguirre for Celtic at left back though, think there's a hell of a lot of talent there and he could do a job in the Premier League with a team like us, who need a left back, and he wouldn't be too expensive you'd imagine - he may think he could go to a better team though.

And the line before Rangers v Hearts the other day of "Hearts form severely dipped last season with the loss of Kevin Kyle" just seems to make absolutely no sense to me. How can you get worse when Kyle isn't in the team? Confusing. I do like Sutton that they brought in from Motherwell though, the Jambos definitely look a better team this year.

Because Kevin Kyle is fucking awesome.:wub:

A lot of our play last season revolved around Kyle being the big man up front, when he got injured in January (after an excellent first half of the season), our striking options were pretty much Stephen Elliott up there himself and while Elliott is good and a trier, he's not a lone striker, then we tried Ryan Stevenson, a midfielder there and he did pretty good but still, he's a midfielder up front.

Add to stuff like Templeton going off the boil and injuries starting to rack up, the form just kinda fell apart.

Kyles almost fit now (along with Driver!) and he'll be back for the derby next month so in the SPL, a strikeforce of Kevin Kyle, Stephen Elliott and John Sutton is rather promising. Until it all goes to shit at least.

How do Celtic and Rangers even perform in the Champions League

Erm, pretty sure they don't :shifty:

To a degree they do, though, they often hold better teams to draws or something and even if say, Celtic lost 1-0 to Porto, that's still seen as a good-ish result. If you consider their team is made up of players who may have had fleeting appearances in the Premier League but ultimately been nothing more than Championship cloggers (Healy, Stokes, Murphy et al and then you have the likes of Samaras, Brown etc who are all 'okay') for the most part. On paper surely these teams should be losing sixes and sevens to the big CL boys? Yet how often do we see them play better and get the odd win or keep it to a draw?

It just baffles me. Because there's no doubting it. Those players are shit. <_<

Samaras and Brown most certainly are shit. Samaras more so than any other player you mentioned. But the guys you mentioned, Healy, Stokes and Murphy have never done anything for the Old Firm in Europe. Healy had 8 matches for Rangers, only two of which were in European competition, and he only scored one goal, which was in the domestic league. Daryl Murphy has only had 9 games for Celtic, same story. It's not as if they're suddenly turning great, because really they aren't doing anything in Europe.

I know what you're getting at, they're third rate players in England but it's just a slanted perspective that they're good in Scotland because everyone else is also shit in Scotland. Having Stokes, Healy, Samaras or whoever look good here isn't hard, and since they win games here they might not bottle it as much when it comes to "big teams" but as of late they pretty much do get fucked over by any half decent team in Europe. Celtic were put out of both Champs League and Europa League by Braga and Eutrecht, hardly the big hitters. Its just that they have to be represented to a certain degree, and when they do you get things like Fergie telling his Man U side to go easy on Rangers because he's a prick :shifty:

The days of Celtic almost scraping a win against Porto came when you had the likes of Henrik Larsson, a former Man United and Barcelona alumnus playing out of his skin for us.