A Game About Games

Benji

You have the power to destroy a genre of games forever. Which would you choose?

Ego-Shooters, for some reason i always found them very booring and right now they seem to be everywere and i just don´t know why.

Whats the game (not series!) you spend the most time on?

Final Fantasy VII if we're talking all-time. Red Dead Redemption if we're talking current. FFVII I've completed more times than I can count and I still find it just as enjoyable now as the day I first played it.

Who is your favourite EWB member to play online with?

Rogue Galaxy - I'm pretty sure I've clocked over 140 hours over three saved games on that badboy. Kinda depressing really considering it loses both its novelty and charm after about fifteen hours and becomes very disappointing/annoying. The pokemon clone on it is fun though.

Also - Favourite Fighting Game Character: Cervantes (Soul Calibur) - Great combination of moves (up close, ranged and jumping), awesome set of weaponry and a lot of unintentionally funny victory quotes.

Who is your favourite in-game villian?

I've only really played online with like two EWBers, but I'd probably say Benji. :wub:

I'll also answer the other question, even though I've already answered that one I think. Other than Revolver Ocelot, I'd probably go with Reno from FFVII. He's classy. He wears a suit.

Favourite Trophy/Achievement?

Get through Mirror's Edge without killing anyone. I can't see that as being possible right now.

In Uncharted 2's OWN achievement system my favourites are definitely "Marco" and "Polo". Made me laugh.

The popular video game character that you dislike the most?

For me it's definitely Mario. I don't get the love. Just don't. Nothing about him that does anything for me as a game player.

Im going to say Kirby.

He sucks, he blows, then he loses all those powers to become yarn and people will buy it because its got nothing to do with the original character and purpose.

He has become a marketting tool to replace the ACTUAL character they created for the game, because nintendo nostalgia is the only way to sell games.

Also, that Reno answer was awesome.

What unknown game did you buy on a whim that you couldnt stop playing?

I've only really played online with like two EWBers, but I'd probably say Benji. :wub:

Then get on RDR and play with me and Baddar more often :(

As for Rider's question - Assassin's Creed. I bought it once and disliked it. Then when I got my X-Box I randomly figured I'd try it again, and at worst get a few achievements for it that might keep me playing. Lo' and behold it worked, grew to love it and didn't stop playing until I completed it.

If you could create one crossover franchise above all others, what would it be and why?

2K NFL and EA NFL (I think that's your question :P). Purely because Madden is just becoming stale, A game like that would be awesome

If you could create your own gaming series. What would it be?

Mine would be like a massive god game. Can't really explain much more

Im going to say Kirby.

He sucks, he blows, then he loses all those powers to become yarn and people will buy it because its got nothing to do with the original character and purpose.

He has become a marketting tool to replace the ACTUAL character they created for the game, because nintendo nostalgia is the only way to sell games.

So it's wrong for Nintendo to sell games based purely on nostalgia but when they try and change the dynamics of one of their classic titles, that's wrong too? Besides, he still transforms into various things which is still a big part of the character, it's just not done in the regular way.

As an aside, Kirby's Epic Yarn is a very pretty game. I love the art style.

• Like 2

What makes it "wrong to me" is that his friend in the game was supposed to be the main character and they thought that the game itself wouldn't sell UNLESS they added nostalgia to it, but in doing so HAD to change Kirby. Which means you are buying a game based purely off a name alone.

As you already pointed out, it looks like a nifty game as is. Is it so bad to think it could have stood on its own merits?

Kirby isn't exactly a character with a hugely established backstory, though. You could make the same argument about Super Mario Sunshine - is that a game that "needed" Mario to be in it, as the dynamic is different from the other Mario games? The essence is the same, the general vibe is that of a Mario game, but approached from a different direction - much like Epic Yarn is to Kirby. The beauty of Nintendo's stable of mascots is that they are all iconic, but none of them have a set-in-stone history, which means that new games can approach them from all manner of different angles, without worrying about storyline continuity, and the characters have no complexity to them, so can be placed in different genres, or different environments, without it ever seeming out of place, and new gamers can jump in and play it without worrying that they might not "get it" without having played the previous game. It's true of Mario, as it is of Kirby and, to a lesser extent, of Pokémon and Zelda.

Edited by Skummy

Rogue Galaxy - I'm pretty sure I've clocked over 140 hours over three saved games on that badboy. Kinda depressing really considering it loses both its novelty and charm after about fifteen hours and becomes very disappointing/annoying. The pokemon clone on it is fun though.

Man, I'm so sad that my version of that game stopped working.

Favorite In-Game Villain? BOWSER, cuz fuck you, that's why.

I already said crossover.

If I could create a game, I dunno, some really cool sandbox RPG, probably set in a Final Fantasy style world. Like, GTA: Lindblum or some shit.

Favorite arcade cabinet is motherfuckin' MOONWALKER, because it's fucking awesome. Playing as Michael Jackson, dancing, saving little boys (for nefarious purposes, of course), then you turn into a giant fucking robot when you grab Bubbles? EPIC. I think the arcade at the Redondo Beach Pier still has it.

Least favorite main protagonist? Cloud. Sure, the Buster Sword is awesome, but he's like, the most overrated FF character ever.

Favorite 'Secondary' Boss/Villain?

Mine is definitely Iggy Koopa from Super Mario Bros. 3. I actually liked all the Koopa kids.

Previous Questions:

Favourite Secondary Villian/Boss - Zorn & Thorn fron Final Fantasy IX. Fun characters throughout and the boss fight itself is one of the best in the game. Plus, the bit when they merge into one being is freaky as fuck.

What is the most girlish game you played & liked? - The Sims 2 with all the expansion packs (including wardrobe and Pets) installed. My ex - along with most of her work colleagues - were addicted to it and attempted to foist it upon me. I never completely got into it, but I enjoyed it in small doses.

Favourite Rock Band/Guitar Hero Peripheral: Drums, hands down.

Favourite Video Game Weapon: For the novelty of it (which still hasn't abated even though the skill shows up in plenty of other games), the force in Force Unleashed is still my favourite.

Favourite In-Game Vehicle: The Beamer in Micro Machines V3 - that badboy had it all. Speed, manoeuvrability, acceleration; the total package.

What is your favourite cheat code in a game?

• Like 1

Favorite cheat code? Invincibility in Battletanx: Global Assault

When is your favorite time to play games?