The FA Cup Thread 2010/2011

DFF

Andros Townsend. Good lad.

Apparently he's having a storming game.

Berba did take a tumble, but he was still fouled.

Only because the definition of a foul changed when diving became a problem in terms of the image of the game. The idea that he 'touched him a little bit' or 'you don't actually need to touch someone' for it to be a foul is bollocks.

I still think its a penalty and a stupid foul, but I do agree that there are numerous decisions based on very odd interpretations of rules referees themselves struggle to understand. The very fact that Howard Webb recently visited Blackpool and told them they would get more decisions if they went down over fouls says it all quite frankly, if a ref can't make a decision without someone going down we're in a very strange position.

NOW we have a game on our hands! Good work from Pepe Reina on those saves. Liverpool need to make a push if they want to take this back to Anfield. I can't help but feel if they had the extra player on the pitch then they would be back on terms.

And apparently Owen may be coming on. Talk about kicking them when they're down, Fergie >_<

Same squad, completely different performance. We pressed, retained possession even when down to 10 men, made proactive rather than reactive decisions, dealt with Man Utd's attacks fairly comfortably and at no point did we ever look like we were simply hoping not to concede, save for that brief spell of pressure after half-time. If it wasn't for a debateable (that's as far as I'm going) penalty or Gerrard's idiocy we'd have a replay at the very least.

But in all serious not the best of games to watch at times but had its good moments. Ryan Giggs was Man.U's best player I thought had a good battle with Kelly who steppted up today one for the future, crap losing to a debatable pen and the issue of Gerrard missing important games against Blackpool and Everton.

We can take positives out of the game though moving forward, good weekend in the FA Cup

I'm failing to see how Liverpool were ever gonna get anyway just smashing long balls into the away end or for easy pick-ups to Kuszczak. I can't remeber the last time I enjoyed watching a Liverpool match.

That said it was far from the worst performance Liverpool have put on in recent times.

Edited by AdamDRFC
  • Like 1

Enough to lose your balance Berbatov? A gust of wind is enough you flimsy git.

I am still amazed about the penalty. It took about a full second for Berbatov to fall down.

Still. Liverpool played with more heart than before, so thinks look up. With the extra man, you feel like it would have been a different game.

I wouldn't have gave the penalty really but from Webb's (very poor) positioning on the pitch, I can see why he did give it. Gerrard's was a red, two-footed over the ball and Carrick. I felt it was a pretty comfortable game for us as soon as the penalty went in. I don't really remember us being on the backfoot for a sustained period of time and the likes of Rio and Rafael had very good games handling whatever threat Liverpool posed. Even with us being pretty average all game, we never really looked like losing our lead at any point in the game.

Fairly medicore match today between Manchester United and Liverpool, even as a Manchester United fan I can tell you it wasn't a penalty who can really blame Howard Webb, he hardly saw the challenge and called for the spot kick and it's not as though his linesman said any differently. Giggs played well throughout the match showing exactly that he gets better and better each season. Kelly impressed me for Liverpool, I've got to be honest I haven't seen the kid before, but he put on a great performance and I hope he gets an England call up soon! Southampton in the next round will be a test, especially if Fergie takes them lightly and fields a reserve team against them - hopefully he doesn't and we can go all the way!

I wouldn't have gave the penalty really but from Webb's (very poor) positioning on the pitch, I can see why he did give it. Gerrard's was a red, two-footed over the ball and Carrick. I felt it was a pretty comfortable game for us as soon as the penalty went in. I don't really remember us being on the backfoot for a sustained period of time and the likes of Rio and Rafael had very good games handling whatever threat Liverpool posed. Even with us being pretty average all game, we never really looked like losing our lead at any point in the game.

I agree, never was a penalty was a poor decision by Webb, he should of consulted his liner if he was unsure. Definate red card though, at first I wasn't sure but after seeing the replays it was quite nasty. Decent results for us though, we could have scored a few more but oh well.

Southampton away in the next round, decent tie if you ask me. Aslong as we give Southampton the respect they deserve we should have no problems.

Kelly was very impressive. He reminded me of Glenn Johnson, except with defensive ability >_>

I can't 'blame' Webb (or indeed Berbatov) for the penalty decision. Agger was bloody foolish - if you're defending inside your own box you only go to make a challenge if you can be certain of winning the ball, which he wasn't going to do. He did make contact, however minimal. He should have just shown Berbatov down the line and stuck a foot out to block any cross that might have gone in; and in showing Berbatov down the line a better chance to tackle him might have presented itself. Berbatov went down easily, but again, there was contact, so I find it hard to be critical of him for going down.

• Like 1