The Alternative Christmas List

probablyoliver

Rilo Kiley has a song called "Xmas Cake" that I rather like--it's from some compilation album. It's a little bit of a downer and it's got a goofy choir in it, but I am so into Jenny Lewis that it doesn't bother me.

I mean, it's no little-celebrated holiday classic like "last chrisssmas uh gev u meh heeart," but y'know.

Casiotone for the Painfully Alone - 'Cold White Christmas'

Was FUCKING AWESOME tonight...but "Travelling Salesman's Young Wife Home Alone On Christmas In Montpelier, VT" was even fucking better. :D :D :D :D :D

The story before it made it even better. It was along the lines of;

"I read an article in the toilet at my mother's house, about two men who posed as travelling salesman and robbed banks. One of the men's wives found blueprints to a bank in Seattle which had been in the news for being robbed a few weeks earlier, and turned her husband in to the police............so I wrote a Christmas song about it."

And some others;

"Christmas At 22" by The Wonder Years -

"Missing You (The True Meaning Of Christmas)" by Blakfish -

- SOLD FUCKING GOLD! (as a Reuben fanboy, you should have been raping these guys for a while...so shitty they split up :()...IT'S CHRISTMAAAAAAASSSS!!!!

"Careful By The Fire" by Wanchope - http://wanchope.bandcamp.com/track/careful-by-the-fire (:wub: :wub:)

"What We Do On Christmas" by Atom & His Package -

(any song with the lines; "It's the one day of the year when I use what my super jewish powers are for" and "Princess Di...WE KILLED HER!" is the ultimate Christmas song)

Manchester Orchestra did a cover of "O Holy Night" last year, A Fine Frenzy did a lovely Christmas EP, I also have a chiptune cover of "Gloria In Excelsis", but can't remember who does it. Into It. Over It has a Christmas song called "Jingle Bell Broke" (I think). I don't have it anymore, but it was a free download at some point, so it might be about. Mew - "She Came Home For Christmas"?

Edited by YI

1. 65daysofstatic - I'm Dreaming of a White Noise Christmas

2. Blakfish - Missing You (The True Meaning of Christmas)

3. Slow Club - It's Christmas And You're Boring Me

4. Paul Baribeau - Christmas Lights

5. The Format - Holly Jolly Christmas

6. PAS/CAL - Little Red Radio

7. Casiotone for the Painfully Alone - Cold White Christmas

8. Galaxie 500 - Listen, The Snow Is Falling

9. The Wedding Present - Step Into Christmas

10. Orange Juice - Holiday Hymn

11. The Sonics - Don't Believe In Christmas

12. Josh Weller & Paloma Faith - It's Christmas (And I Hate You)

13. The Buff Medways - Merry Christmas Fritz

14. Sufjan Stevens - Get Behind Me, Santa

15. Low - Just Like Christmas

16. The Hives vs. Cyndi Lauper - Christmas Dual

17. Reuben - Christmas Is Awesome

18. Les Issambres - Christmas Sucks Anyway, Everything's Shit

After listening to this from start to finish, I feel really festive. I want it to be christmas now. :(

Not really 'alternative", unless you consider pop-ska alternative, but my favorite Christmas song is 'Oi to the World' by No Doubt.

Oi To The World isn't by No Doubt. Their cover is good though. Originally released a year before by the Vandals.

Love Father Christmas by The Kinks. :wub:

Also, Lexy is useless.

• Like 1

The Sonics kick ass, good choice. "Rudolph the reindeer made the little kids cheer, the reason that his nose shine santa give him moonshine". Ha.

This one might be over the top if this album is for family but Fear has one called "Fuck Christmas".

Or forget that and go with the 4-Skins "Merry Christmas Everybody", or the G.B.H./Peter and the Test Tube Collaboration "I'm Getting Pissed For Christmas".

Then of course Chuck Berry has two of his own, "Run Run Rudolph" and "Merry Christmas Baby". Chances are you'll hear Run Run Rudolph on the radio anyway, but it's not a bad song all things considered.

Why listen to 'alternative' Christmas music when you can listen to stuff that's actually good?

Exactly. I'm all for "alternative" Christmas songs that bring joy and festive cheer but never understand those grumpy anti-Christmas songs just for the sake of being "alternative Christmas".