The January Transfer Window 2011

Lineker

I think Darren Bent is just what Aston VIlla needs, it's a large sum of money sure but they're desperate to not go further down the table and they have a midfield that can definitely get the passes/crosses in. Young,Downing,Albrighton, can all put the balls into the box and what they've needed is a finisher who'll score the goals.

It's a lot of money but a motivated Darren Bent will score goals if he gets the service, you're not guaranteed that with Heskey,Carew or Agbonlahor

Gabby can't hit a barn door this season, probably because he is being played on the left. He will get you 10 a season plus I love the guy. Carew just doesn't look bothered at all. It is obvious that him and Houllier don't get on at all. He's lost what he had from last year that is for sure. There was talk he stood up to Houllier and mouthed off saying he was pretty much untouchable as the fans loved him and sung his name. Fuck off. The constant clapping of the fans, blowing them kisses even when they don't sing his name shows he's licking ass. He's part of the 5 who have been causing problems for Houllier since he has been here, along with Sidwell, Beye and Warnock. I've heard Friedel being mentioned. I'd be very surprised as he always comes across as a true professional, although we don't know footballers personally so nothing would surprise me about the mercenaries. >_>

Carew out along with Beye and Warnock and we have done well this year. We'd obviously need a new LB and maybe a goalkeeper. We're supposed to be doing more business. It's been one of the most fun transfer windows in years.

We had the chance to sign Bent for £10m when he was off from Spurs, but MON thought it was too much and only willing to pay £8m. He then went out and signed Harewood for £4m. Oliver Holt from the Mirror must wank over photos of O'Neill.

Edited by ONO

All the day's transfers according to BBC;

Darren Bent [sunderland - Aston Villa] £18m rising to £24m

Marcus Bent [birmingham - Sheff Utd] Loan

Jason Bradley [brackley Town - Tamworth] Free

Marc Bridge-Wilkinson [Carlisle - Darlington] Free

Jon Challinor [unattached - Kettering Town]

Kenny Deuchar [Falkirk - Livingston] Free

Tony Diagne [FC Municipal d'Aubervilliers - Macclesfield] Free

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas [Arsenal - Cardiff City] Loan

Mark Halstead [blackpool - Kettering] Loan

Jermaine Jones [ Schalke 04 - Blackburn] Loan

Malvin Kamara [stafford Rangers - Tamworth] Free

David McCracken [brentford - Bristol Rovers] Loan

Sean Morrison [swindon Town - Reading] Undisclosed

Lloyd Owusu [unattached - Luton Town]

Lee Sawyer [Woking - Southend] Free

Ben Watson [Exeter - Bath City] Loan

Brett Williams [Eastleigh - Reading] £50,000

Calvin Zola [Crewe - Burton] Loan

Also just my take on the Darren Bent transfer, I do think Villa over paid by about £7-8million-ish, but I'm gonna predict right now that he score something like 10-12 Premier League goals for Villa this season. He's a quality finisher and his movement is brilliant, also his willingness to run the channels is something any club will need. You put him up-front with Heskey or Carew to play off, and the likes of Downing/Young/Albrighton will provide the service for Bent to score. Aslong as he doesn't score against United in a couple of weeks though, then I'll be happy! :P

Early rumours as always;

"A couple of wingers also very much in the news this morning with Adam Hammill looking set to opt for Wolves, whilst Shaun Wright-Phillips is being strongly linked with a loan switch to Fulham."

"Another one that looks set to go through today is Cardiff signing Blackpool defender Dekel Keinan, according to the Daily Mail."

"The Daily Express claims that Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp wants to add Roma's Mirko Vucinic to his squad, whilst they also report that Branislav Ivanovic is ready to pen a new contract at Chelsea."

"Kenny Miller looks set to leave Rangers for Bursaspor after agreeing terms but Walter Smith claims both clubs have yet to agree a fee."

"Skysports.com understands Victor Anichebe is set to end speculation over his future by signing a new deal at Everton."

"Thierry Henry is not heading for a shock loan move to Leicester City insists Sven-Goran Eriksson."

"Manchester United chief executive David Gill has confirmed the club plan to address Ryan Giggs' contract situation in the coming months."

"Celtic defender Jos Hooiveld has joined FC Copenhagen on loan for the remainder of the season."

"Skysports.com understands Barnsley are closing in on the signing of Bristol City striker Danny Haynes."

Edited by Jordan

Rumours sweeping through the Belgian press that Manchester City are about to agree a deal to sign Romelu Lukaku in the summer for approx. £18 million.

If true, it baffles my mind and can only be about money. This is a kid with heavy interest from Real Madrid and Chelsea, both of whom need to buy a striker (especially one of his type) and he would be challenging for the first team nearly from the start if he went to either of them. Instead, he can go to the same club as Dzeko, Tevez, Balotelli etc. and sit on the bench as fourth-choice striker in a team whose manager likes to play only one at a time.

Awful career move for the kid. Awful.

I've heard alot of good things about this lad, and you're right going to City he'd just be sat on the bench. Hopefully it doesn't happen and he'll go somewhere he's gonna play every week. I think Chelsea would be the best move for him, he's a direct replacement for Drogba who only has 2 or 3 more years left at the top level. Either that or he should come United, but we can't afford him :(

Apparently he sent the following tweet last night:

"Is going to sleep without stress.. Tomorrow there's only one winner and that's Anderlecht! Goodnight world.."

Having checked that Anderlecht definitely aren't playing a match today that he could have been talking about (:shifty:), it would seem to point towards the move.

I can't see Suarez coming to Liverpool. Why would he? He'd be better off waiting at Ajax until a decent team wants him, preferably in Spain, so he can join all his other Hispanic pussy buddies.

Those pussies sure looked bad in the World Cup eh ? <_< Suarez is bad ass, don't be mad.

Huh? You've totally misunderstood my post. I love Suarez, I was saying he was far too good for Liverpool and he'll go to Spain like all the other best players who don't like being kicked/hacked down every time they get within 10 feet of the area.

• Admin

Getting Ivanovic a new contract is arguably the most important thing we could do right now, even more so than any new transfer. If he doesn't become captain in 2 or 3 years time, I will be surprised.

BBC are reporting that Chelsea will take up the option to extend the Jose Boswinga's current deal by one year when it expires in the summer, keeping him there until 2012.

Those pussies sure looked bad in the World Cup eh ? <_< Suarez is bad ass, don't be mad.

Huh? You've totally misunderstood my post. I love Suarez, I was saying he was far too good for Liverpool and he'll go to Spain like all the other best players who don't like being kicked/hacked down every time they get within 10 feet of the area.

Yeaaaaah, that's not at all how it read off :blush:

As for Lukaku ... Man City isn't that retarded of a destination all things considered. RSC is gone, they want Adybayor gone, Balotelli has already stated that his future isn't in England, Tevez is a headcase and could be gone after one of his explosions (and he also plays withdrawn) ... so that leaves newly singed Dzeko as the only real, solid ST that is absolutely there for any kind of longer term. Unless I'm just flat out missing something.

David Luis/Simon Kjaer linked with Chelsea

If 'Pool can't get Suarez they're rumored to have Negredo as a backup target

Trezeguet linked with AC Milan ...

"It seems Stéphane Sessegnon is effectively going on strike to force a move to Sunderland by refusing to train with PSG."

Kiko Macheda started and now just scored for Sampdoria (the game is on ESPN). Good move for him then!

Macheda! Class that lad, hope he gets more of a chance next season. He'll score someone alot of goals once he matures, maybe not at United, but at another club. Might be the next Rossi, he'll hang about at United for a couple of years, we'll sell him to a La Liga club with a buy-back clause.

• Admin

Massive news guys.

Watford have today confirmed the signing of Aston Villa's, Austrain U21 international forward Andreas Weimann on loan until the end of the season.

Weimann, 19, who played in last weeks Villa reserves victory over Arsenal, has recently recovered from ankle ligament damage which ruled him out for the first part of the season.

Weimann was a hit in Villa's reserve squad last season scoring 9 times in the Midlands Reserve. This earned him a place on Villa's bench earlier in the season and the youngster has substitute appearances in the Premier League and Europa League to his name.

The forward who can also play as an attacking midfielders joins the Hornets until the end of the season to help bolster Malky Mackay's attacking options. He will wear the number 22 shirt for the Hornets.

Aston Villa have included a 24 hour recall clause in the loan deal.

It is not yet known how this impacts on the likelihood of Jordan Mutch returning on loan for the rest of the season.

--National Express

:w00t:

Getting Ivanovic a new contract is arguably the most important thing we could do right now, even more so than any new transfer. If he doesn't become captain in 2 or 3 years time, I will be surprised.

BBC are reporting that Chelsea will take up the option to extend the Jose Boswinga's current deal by one year when it expires in the summer, keeping him there until 2012.

Probably because they don't have a buyer for him and don't want him to leave on a free in the summer. A combination of long injuries and iffy form has left him playing second-fiddle and he may not have much of a long-term future at Chelsea unless his performances get a lot more consistent.

Turns out that the "Lukaku to City" story emanated from a Belgian publication with about as much credibility as the Daily Star, and the rest of the country's press simply leapt on it like a bunch of gullible lemmings. This is a good sign. Could still happen eventually, though.

Chelsea seem to be moving inexorably closer to a deal for David Luiz, although nothing should be taken for granted in a Chelsea deal until the dotted line is signed. Cash plus Paulo Ferreira appears the most likely deal.

Otherwise, there's a lot of chatter around Alexis Sanchez but Udinese seem unco-operative. Not sure what other options are open besides that on the attacking front.

EDIT: Although, reading up on the latest developments regarding David Luiz (£21m bid rejected, they want £25m), there's a good chance Chelsea could just give up. That was their third bid and they already went above their preferred maximum of £20m.

Rumours:

Stephen Ireland to go on loan to Newcastle with Villa looking to get Charlie Adam in

Sunderland trying to replace Bent with Owen

Keisuke Honda wanted by Liverpool, Arsenal and Aston Villa