The January Transfer Window 2011

Lineker

I'm frustrated with Albion for doing fuck all this window apart from annoy Villa over John Carew. If we want him, put a bid in for him, because there has been speculation about us signing him for at least a month now when it comes to the window. Window is here, and we've done squat. If we could somehow change our albeit successful 4-2-3-1 formation to slot Carew up, it would take a lot of the physical pressure off Odemwingie and Carew could become a useful player to have against teams like Blackburn and Stoke, and even Wolves, who are just big nasty bastards at the back.

Our chairman claims he loves the club and says that it'll take years for stability, with us being a selling club for the last 5 seasons in order to progress. He's got every manager we have had to 'sell in order to buy', and now we are well clear of any debts (we're something like the 5th richest club in England with no debts at all) and we have at least a few million in funds. All it takes is 2 signings this window, and they don't have to be brilliant and expensive, to build up our squad in two vital positions - central defence and a striker.

If we really do need more money, just sell Abdoulaye Meite and Simon Cox (who has been rumoured to be going because he isn't allowed to play right up top, but rather as an Attacking Mid., yet he still gets games) and get in somebody like Sean St. Ledger, maybe even just on loan until we get more money at the end of this season, and then put in 2-3 Million for Carew.

Sometimes, in football, you need to take risks, and that is something that has halted us from doing what we've done this season every time we've been in the Premier League until now. We've got a manager who is proving himself to be good in the transfer market, signing Odemwingie, Nicky Shorey, Boaz Myhill and Paul Scharner, who have all been massive players for us this season (Myhill apart but he had a great game in his first league appearance yesterday), so just give him the money. We are finnancial safe; I'm no accountant but by the figures we've released, I can promise we will still be safe from debt if we spent 10 Million.

• Admin
South African World Cup hero Siphiwe Tshabalala is set for a week-long trial at Nottingham Forest.

The 26-year-old earned rave reviews after scoring the opening goal of the World Cup against Mexico last June.

Tshabalala, who arrives at Forest on Monday, is hoping to seal a move from Kaizer Chiefs for around £1.5 million.

His agent Jazzman Mahlakgane also revealed that there had been interest from the highest level of English football.

"There were a couple of Premier League teams who showed an interest but they took too long to get back to me," he said.

"We had to go for the first assessment that we were offered because there is only a limited amount of time for the deal to be done but at least he will be there in the eyes of the UK football scene."

"He's very excited - like all players, he wants to play at the highest level and Siphiwe showed at the World Cup he is capable of that," Mahlakgane added.

"He's at the perfect age to go overseas but he knows playing in a different environment would be a real challenge."

'Shabba' will return to Europe only a week after he was in Zurich after being nominated for Fifa's goal of the year.

He lost out to Turkey's Hamit Altintop but Mahlakgane admitted the experience of rubbing shoulders with the likes of Lionel Messi and Andres Iniesta made the winger determined to pursue a career in Europe.

"Being in the same room as such great players gave him that extra ambition," he said.

"He told me that a lot of them recognised him in Zurich and I think that was a real boost to his confidence.

"Forest are a good team, I think they have good enough players to get up into the Premier League next season.

"Hopefully Siphiwe can impress them."

I'll be getting my girlfriend a Tshabalala kit should he sign, for sure. Legend.

Today's early rumours and notes;

Birmingham City are still trying to agree a deal to sign Robbie Keane, but the Daily Mirror claims the Tottenham Hotspur forward's wage demands could scupper a move to St Andrews.

Another line from the Daily Mirror, and Celtic and Burnley are both keen to sign Stoke City defender Abdoulaye Faye on loan.

Harry Redknapp has moved to distance Tottenham from reports linking them with a move for Newcastle striker Andy Carroll.

Hoffenheim have revealed Stoke City have now made an approach to sign Demba Ba on loan after the collapse of the striker's permanent move to the Britannia Stadium. Ba had agreed a move to the Potters, but the deal fell through on Saturday when he failed a medical.

Sven Goran Eriksson has confirmed Manchester United goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak has turned down a loan move to Leicester City.

Plymouth Argyle have confirmed three bids are on the table for Bradley Wright-Phillips, but only one matches the club's valuation of the striker. A move to Reading fell through last week, Blackpool remain interested and Rangers have been linked with a bid.

Bolton boss Owen Coyle insists he has received no offers for Gary Cahill, and would not welcome any.

According to the Daily Record, Celtic are lining up a move to sign Birmingham City's veteran striker Kevin Phillips.

Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips' future remains uncertain. According to the Manchester Evening News, Fulham and West Ham are reluctant to meet Wright-Phillips' full wages for a loan deal, while Bolton can't afford him. The player, meanwhile, would prefer to join Liverpool on loan with a view to a permanent move. He has two weeks to secure a move before the window shuts.

The problem with Keane is that there isn't a Newcastle type of club who will buy finished players for ludicrous wages anymore. Even West Ham is gradually cutting down on stuff like this (despite what the Bridge loan suggests)

So he's sitting there on his 80k or whatever contract until he decides to take a pay cut (unlikely) or a European team decides to get a backup striker who can't score (very unlikely... unless Celtic give it another go)

Keane is finished. No-one wants him at their club but everyone wants him at their rivals.

There is always the MLS! He won't have to be a cog there!

Yes please. He may not be "Premiership top quality" anymore but he's certainly not done.

I can live with Villa, but I rather liked Bent at Sunderland.

Spurs in for Van Bommel ? Van der Vaarts take on it: "Tottenham can take the next step to get to the level of our rivals Arsenal." ^_^ that's right, aim high.

Monaco looking into Adebayore to replace Mbokani

Liverpool supposedly put in an official offer for Luiz Suarez

Behrami to Fiorentina ?

Blackburn have put Diouf up for sale