EWB's 25 Favorite Simpsons Episodes! The List!

Sousa

A lot of the opening of Deep Space Homer falls flat to me. Although the inanimate carbon rod is one of the highlights of the Simpsons.

Very, very happy that You Only Move Twice was at #1 and even happier to see 22 Short Films so high up too. Bit disappointed not to see One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Bluefish there but I didn't vote in the end so I suppose I can't say much :P

Really? I mean, the Home Improvement and Married With Children references are a little dated, but clean and sober Barney did nothing for you? "That was non-alcoholic wine?" All the monkeys they sent to the moon coming back super-intelligent? You're loony.

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know) the episode's even available for viewing for astronauts aboard the International Space Station.

Really? I mean, the Home Improvement and Married With Children references are a little dated, but clean and sober Barney did nothing for you? "That was non-alcoholic wine?" All the monkeys they sent to the moon coming back super-intelligent? You're loony.

To be honest, clean and sober Barney has never struck a chord with me. The only good thing to ever come from a sober Barney was Moe's "coffee" stall and the smoke machine choking him. Although I suppose it did bring around Homer's fail when he's trying the gymnastics. I'm not saying I dislike the episode, it's definitely one of the better episodes all round, I'm just saying I find things funnier once he's part of the program and in space. Kent Brockman's overreaction to the ants is hilarious.

ETA: Is Deep Space Homer the one where Homer calls for Marge for advice, then halfway through her speech he starts dialling again?

Edited by Katsuya

To be honest, clean and sober Barney has never struck a chord with me. The only good thing to ever come from a sober Barney was Moe's "coffee" stall and the smoke machine choking him. Although I suppose it did bring around Homer's fail when he's trying the gymnastics. I'm not saying I dislike the episode, it's definitely one of the better episodes all round, I'm just saying I find things funnier once he's part of the program and in space. Kent Brockman's overreaction to the ants is hilarious.

ETA: Is Deep Space Homer the one where Homer calls for Marge for advice, then halfway through her speech he starts dialling again?

Yes, it is. Don't you feel ashamed now? Also, I don't think you and Sousa are entirely referencing the same "clean and sober Barney." In "Deep Space Homer", Barney is just temporarily so, while you seem to be referencing his later seasons-long run of sobriety.

And Sousa? You compared Lanley to Hank Hill. I suppose a comparison can be made, but something (everything) tells me you meant Harold Hill.

As for the list itself, I can't say I'm shocked that all but maybe 2 of my picks were left off of the list. I voted late in the game, so I intentionally went largely with dark horse selections (seriously, if people aren't watching the newer seasons, they should be. Not "prime of the show" good, but still very good.) Plus, with so damn many shows being voted for overall, we had some episodes make the top 25 on the strength of two votes.

No big complaints, though. In the end, even my personal top 25 will always be changing, and this list is a decent cross-section of the series.

I'm glad You Only Move Twice made it was #1, but I was also surprised that Deep Space Homer didn't make it. Or Mother Simpson. Glad to see Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment on it.

Damn, now I gotta go and rewatch my Simpsons DVD's.

Read this list before checking what I actually voted for, don't disagree with a single placement and I genuinely adore every single episode of this Top 25.

Now, as for the episodes that I actually voted for:

1. "22 Short Films About Springfield" (Season 7)

2. "Bart the Murderer" (Season 3)

3. "Krusty Gets Kancelled" (Season 4)

4. "You Only Move Twice" (Season 8)

5. "Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk" (Season 3)

6. "Homer: Bad Man" (Season 6)

7. "A Streetcar Named Marge" (Season 4)

8. "Homer's Enemy" (Season 8)

9. "Mountain of Madness" (Season 8)

10. "Homer's Triple Bypass" (Season 4)

Only five made the final 25, but that just says how great Simpsons is. Everyone in the voting thread was slightly annoyed that they could only pick 10, and that is surely a sign of just how many great moments there are.

I want to rewatch every Simpsons episode from the beginning now.

Honestly, this could have been a list of Simpsons episodes randomly pulled out of a hat, and I'd say it was a good list.

Thirty Seconds was actually one of my favorite episodes before I was as big on Japanese wackiness as I am now; but because of said obsession with wackiness I enjoy it even more.

"Should we tell them the secret to inner peace?"

"No, they are foreign devils"

And Sousa? You compared Lanley to Hank Hill. I suppose a comparison can be made, but something (everything) tells me you meant Harold Hill.

This is what happens when I try to do all of these in one fell swoop. :shifty:

Seriously, I don't know how I even got that wrong. I played Marcellus Washburn for fuck's sake.

Great list. Nice work, EWB!

Now for some great episodes that should have replaced the completely mediocre trip episode, or episodes to wax nostalgic about:

Lemon of Troy. One of my favorite "kids act like kids" episodes. Favorite quote: "This town is a part of us all! A part of us all! A part of us all!"

Flaming Moe's. Probably the first big "Moe" episode, full of clever lines and quality satire. Quote: "Yeah, you can use it!"

When Flanders Failed. One of the earliest appearances of "jerk-ass" Homer, I love every early appearance of Ned Flanders, from this one to Dead Putting Society to the one where he tries to baptize Homer's kids. Homer being an incredibly callous jerk was actually funny here. Favorite quote:"No, I don't know what "shaden-frawde" is, please tell me because I'm DYING to know."

Lisa the Vegetarian. Lisa gets a little preachy, but it features my favorite Troy McClure video ever. Favorite Quote: "don't let the name fool you jimmy! It's not actually a floor, it's more of a grating that allows material to sluice through so it can be collected and exported!"

Mother Simpson. Lisa's Substitute and a few episodes of Futurama may be sadder, but Mother Simpson just gets to me. It's so sad and so funny. I love Homer's familiarity with and active dislike of "Leaves of Grass." Favorite quote: "Why does my death keep coming back to haunt me?"

Also the wrong Halloween special: Treehouse V was the peak, just based on the Shinning parody. "That's odd, usually the blood gets off at the 2nd floor."

Honestly, I left Lemon of Troy off of my list because I was sure it'd make it anyway, which is why the vastly underappreciated Simpson & Delilah was there: because it's a spectacular episode from the early seasons that nobody seems to remember ("Some nerve, telling us how to run the plant. He doesn't even have hair!"). But yeah, we could go on forever about stuff that could've and should've made it.

To appease you guys, here are the next 24 down:

26. Lisa on Ice

27. A Milhouse Divided (Seriously? People liked this one?)

28. El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer

29. Mother Simpson

30. The PTA Disbands

31. Lemon of Troy (BELOW A MILHOUSE DIVIDED!? You guys suck.)

32. Bart vs. Australia

33. Mountain of Madness

34. Girly Edition

35. Brother from Another Series

36. Bart Gets an Elephant

37. Bart the General

38. Bart of Darkness

39. Stark Raving Dad

40. Homer and Apu

41. Treehouse of Horror V (The best Treehouse of Horror. Really guys, "The Devil and Homer Simpson" was funny, but I have no idea what you all see in the one that made it on the list.)

42. Old Money (Another great, forgotten Season 2 episode that nearly made my list for that reason.)

43. Who Shot Mr. Burns?, Part 2

44. HOMR

45. Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk

46. The Joy of Sect (Legit surprised this didn't get more love. "BATMAAAAAAAAN! I mean LEADERRRRRRRRR!")

47. Deep Space Homer (Yes, all the way down here.)

48. A Star is Burns

49. Black Widower

Yes, Flaming Moe's isn't even on that list. The bottom set there all have nine points. And there are still some good ones below that--Sideshow Bob Roberts, Behind the Laughter, Homer Badman, Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssssssssssss Song, etc.

OH. And not ONE vote for Bart Sells His Soul. ZERO. Come on, guys. Remember Alf? He's back. In Pog form.

Maybe it just collapsed on it's own?

How can you not like A Milhouse Divided? I mean jeez, Can I Borrow A Feeling?!

"It's a door! Use it!" - "that's a door?" etc.

Edited by TheModernWay

Here I will quote my favourite part of Marge vs. The Monorail!

"Homer, I've got someone here who thinks he can help you!"

"Batman?!"

"No, he's a scientist!"

"Batman's a scientist.."

"It's not Batman!"

How can you not like A Milhouse Divided? I mean jeez, Can I Borrow A Feeling?!

I posit that Kirk Van Houten is not funny and will never be funny and "Can I Borrow a Feeling" is fucking lame.

The bit at the beginning is all right, but the only thing I really got a good belly laugh out of was Homer's vow at the end. "In quiet solitude or blasting across the alkali flats in a jet-powered, monkey-navigated... it goes on like this."

The only one I'm disappointed didn't make the list is Bart Star, which I forgot to vote for myself and was reminded of it's greatness after the list. The scene where Homer is a gymnist in High School with Smithers as the announcer, the way he says "Bring on the men!", ripped me to shreds when I saw it. Oh and of course.

"FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNDERS!"