EWB's 25 Favorite Simpsons Episodes! The List!

Sousa

I have to say the only Simpsons + sports episode I really enjoy is the softball game. The football and hockey episodes are decent but unspectacular, and the tennis episode is unbelievably awful. Also as much as I've come around to find Season 2 as underrated, Homer as a mascot is an episode I could never sit through. It's so slow and the jokes are so few and far between.

The only one I'm disappointed didn't make the list is Bart Star, which I forgot to vote for myself and was reminded of it's greatness after the list. The scene where Homer is a gymnist in High School with Smithers as the announcer, the way he says "Bring on the men!", ripped me to shreds when I saw it. Oh and of course.

"FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNDERS!"

The best part of that one is Lisa showing up intent on stirring shit up and failing. "But who would play a game with the skin of an innocent pig!?"

I have to say the only Simpsons + sports episode I really enjoy is the softball game.

Excuse me? Boxing Homer might have something to say about that.

"Society put away Drederick Tatum for his brutal crime. But he's paid his debt, and now he's going to get revenge... on Homer Simpson."

I have to say the only Simpsons + sports episode I really enjoy is the softball game.

Excuse me? Boxing Homer might have something to say about that.

"Society put away Drederick Tatum for his brutal crime. But he's paid his debt, and now he's going to get revenge... on Homer Simpson."

Yeah that one's pretty solid. "That bum has the energy of a hobo!"

Besides, everyone knows boxing is fixed: "Man, I thought Ultimate Robot Fighting was real, like pro wrestling. But it turns out it's fixed, like boxing."

The girlfriend and I are huge fans of the Simpsons and it occured to me that an amazing episode is missing when she exclaimed that her favorite wasn't on the list - that being Homer's Phobia.

I love that episode simply for John Waters guest starring.

I was really hoping there'd be a Drederick Tatum centric episode back in the show's heyday, to add more depth to the character. He was so funny, but they could of made him more than a Tyson parody.

"I think he's a good man. I like him. I got nothing against him, but I'm definitely gonna make orphans of his children."

"Uh, you know, they do have a mother, Champ?"

"Yes, but I would imagine that she would die of grief"

I was really hoping there'd be a Drederick Tatum centric episode back in the show's heyday, to add more depth to the character. He was so funny, but they could of made him more than a Tyson parody.

"I think he's a good man. I like him. I got nothing against him, but I'm definitely gonna make orphans of his children."

"Uh, you know, they do have a mother, Champ?"

"Yes, but I would imagine that she would die of grief"

Watched that episode yesterday, loved this one line.

"Champ, do you feel remorse for your crime?"

"Oh, yes. Believe me, my god, if I could turn back the clock on my mother's stair-pushing, I would certainly, reconsider it."

I watched the burlesque house episode last night and I'm only mentioning this for the following exchanges.

TV: We interrupt this cartoon for a special report.

Homer: *bolting up from the sofa* Someone found my keys!

Homer: *opens the door* This isn't about Jesus is it?

Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus Homer... except this.

Ms. Lovejoy: ...Principal Skinner saw it with his own two eyes.

Skinner: *pops up from nowhere* Yes but I was only in there to ask for directions on how to get away from there!

So I hadn't seen 22 Short Films or You Only Move Twice - and there's more as well but those are the highest. I watched them both, and 22 Short Films was good but I wouldn't have thought it deserved that high a place. YOMT was awesome, but not as awesome as Marge vs The Monorail. Of course, I didn't vote myself, because I don't know the name of many Simpsons episodes I've seen, and I wouldn't know where to start. I probably would've just gone for all the sentimental crap anyway.

Edited by Pesci

22 Short Stories was good but I wouldn't have thought it deserved that high a place.

I think it gets a lot of praise on the strength of the scene with Skinner, which is a stone-cold classic. It's got some great lines in it ("You may purchase this charming Hamburglar adventure! A child has already solved the jumble in crayon. The answer is 'fries'."), and the plot technique is at least memorable. Not my favorite episode, but worth a spot at least.

I'll forever love that one because the priest at one of my friend's weddings sounded like the very tall man, and another one of my friends sat behind me quoting his lines through the entire mass.

I can't think of a Simpsons episode I've quoted more often than 22 Short Tales About Springfield. Barely a week goes by without me finding some excuse to say "Aurora Borealis?!" in the style of Chalmers, or "No, Mother, it's just the Northern Lights", or "you steam a good ham". It's brilliant.

Though, as it's another sequence I quote from a lot, I will bring this to people's attention;