Your favourite sporting event

What is it?

I don't mean like the Premiership SEASON or anything long running, I mean a month at the most so stuff like the Olympics, World Cup, Euros, Wimbledon, Ashes, even those final series in American sports like the baseball World Series.

The one I get most excited about these days is the Tour de France. I just get utterly immersed in it, a good few hours of watching every day, then download the highlights show to watch the next morning, discuss it on another site, read the official and unofficial sites....Love it.

Number two is the Olympics - I love how suddenly stuff like archery and lawn bowling is actually made exciting when you have someone from your country to cheer for...In fact the athletics and swimming are the weaker parts of it for me! I just love how people are winning their own victories but it counts towards medal tables and stuff. Great.

Number three is the FIFA World Cup. I love football and winning the World Cup is the biggest prize in sport for any country. The atmosphere when England are playing is electric.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

It's hard for me to be Canadian and not say Winter Olympics, especially after 2010. I doubt I'll see anything like that ever again in my lifetime.

Distant second is probably the World Cup because it's the one time I can actually talk about soccer with most of my friends, Summer Olympics get third. Honestly my favourite thing about the Summer Olympics is just that there's so much going on at the same time, there's always something interesting.

NHL playoffs as a whole are number four (you can't just watch the Stanley Cup, you need to follow from the beginning and get all the storylines)...and, uh, let's put the Brier (Canadian national curling championship) fifth. Can't go wrong with nine hours a day of televised curling for two weeks. :shifty:

• Like 1

America East Conference Tournament/ NCAA March Madness

-Graduating from a one-bid conference makes you look forward to the conference tournament 100 times more than when I was a fan of the Terps. The regular season is basically thrown out the window and it's do-or-die for all of the teams in the conference for a chance to play in the national title tournament. After that, You can fill out the brackets and watch 32 games over 2 days. It's just awesome.

I would say March Madness. I'm not even a fan of any of the teams but every year I always find myself cheering for some Cinderella who has no chance in hell, but it's so exciting anyway.

Just saw my first World Cup as well and that was pretty thrilling as well. I mostly watched the US matches but I am so ready for the next one.

It has to be the World Cup easy for me, it's just something that brings a whole country together, and there's nothing better than being in a pub with 1500 other people all supporting England, even though they always let us down! But we'll be back in 2014 and we'll win it!!

It used to be the World Cup tournament, by a country mile, but the last few have been less than engrossing (and not just because Scotland didn't qualify :crying: )

The World Cup final is still my favourite, but the Champion's League final runs it close..

The only other sporting events that I classify at must see (even if it doesn't involve someone, or some team, that I support) are the Wimbledon men's final and the Men's 100M at the Olympics.

Got to be the World Cup, even if England don't qualify I'll still watch every game (work permitting. Working from home last year was frankly spectacular...). Anticipation over 4 years, the fact that there are more and more decent nations emerging from Africa and Asia making it more competitive in the early stages. Obviously theres the odd bad game, but somehow even they feel entertaining with so much riding on it. Plus three game BBQ weekends are amazing, won't be the same in 2022 if it moves to winter.

Without question the Football World Cup. I just love everything about it, from lolling around on a hot summer's day watching Algeria and Slovenia battle it out, to going all patriotic for one month of the year when England play. I can just get so engrossed in it as well- the Ghana-Uruguay match from this year was just so dramatic it was unbelievable, I got more into Ghana then you could imagine considering I have no connections there, and I almost cried when they lost on the penalty shoot out. Then take into account the surprises you get every tournament, like North Korea out playing Brazil, and Nigeria and South Korea inexplicably putting on the game of the tournament, and the World Cup just becomes unmissable for me. Plus, I'll always have fond memories in 2002 when France were playing Senegal. I wasn't watching the match for some reason, and it took me forever for my Dad to convince me that Senegal had actually won. What a great year that was for the World Cup.

Football is pretty much the only sport I'm seriously into unless you count wrestling, so it's no surprise that most of the other events are football related. Last day of the English Premier League is always great fun, and both the Champions League and European Championships I enjoy immensely, though not on the level of the World Cup. I also think the African Cup of Nations is fantastic, but only if most of the tournament is shown on the BBC and not somewhere unreachable for me like Eurosport. It's not the same if I don't have a nation like Benin to get behind.

I used to be seriously into Formula One so any race in the rain where one of the teams from the back of the field would charge up and win was great, but I've gone of it in the last few years, though I like to watch the title decider if possible. I also enjoy Wimbledon and the Summer Olympics in small doses.

I've said this before in the company of friends and get quite a hard time because of it, but the Olympics over the World Cup every time. When I think about reasons I can come up with quite a long list, but in short it is because to me it feels more significant when a Great Britain comes near the top of the medals chart than when England does well in the World Cup. I prefer individual sports to team sports and find that if you take away affiliation with nations each event boils down to Athlete vs. Athlete with who they are or where they are from not mattering. Admittedly it is also because in the UK it really should be a bigger deal but it is never treated as such; when it is on I'm always at the TV switching from one event to another and watching late into the night to see all these fantastic athletes do what they do, but no one else I know does that. I don't even watch for Great British athletes, I watch for the Usain Bolts and the Michael Phelps; the best in the world at what they do. The World Cup never really does that, Spain may win the World Cup but that doesn't mean the best footballer in the World is Spanish.

Second to the Olympic is the World Cup. For obvious reasons.

Third ... erm ... is tough because I don't follow many other sports and never really clock on just because my country is doing well, so Rugby World Cup and The Ashes are complete none events for me. I guess I'd say the FA Cup Final, but only when you get a small team against a big team because the David vs. Goliath narrative is what makes the event so appealing.

All the tournaments and stuff I like are not important in the general scheme of things, at least here in Canada. Basically, I am a huge fan of international events.

• I prefer the World Championships in hockey to the NHL's playoffs, but I'm definately a minority there.
  • I absolutely love the World Baseball Classic (I hate the format, but love the idea). Canada's two games versus the United States were fantastic to watch, as was Japan vs. Korea five times in 2009 (seriously, how do two teams play each other five times in one tournamnet? Either way, most of the games were awesome)
  • Olympic hockey
  • Olympic Baseball (RIP)

It has to be the World Cup easy for me, it's just something that brings a whole country together, and there's nothing better than being in a pub with 1500 other people all supporting England, even though they always let us down! But we'll be back in 2014 and we'll win it!!

1,500 people in a pub?

Christ.

1,500 people in a pub?

Christ.

For the USA vs England game at the World Cup I had to turn up for the match 5 hours before kick-off just to get seats. It's a hell of a sight when it jam packed and every one's a bit merry, especially when England (if England :P) score!

Superbowl. Mainly because it's become a tradition of going to somebody's house and drinking until 4 in the morining watching the biggest sporting spectacle of the year, with a shitload of little bets too, to keep every part interesting.