10 O'Clock Live

therockbox

Charlie Brooker alone could make this good. It suits David Mitchell. I'm not sure if Jimmy Carr is right for it and yeah, they've nothing for Lauren Laverne to do.

It's not been overly funny and they seem to be doing too much. But it could be better if tweaked.

That was pretty much exactly like his podcast. But it was still the best thing on the show. I kinda feel like Carr is there because he presents 8 Out of 10 Cats, Laverne is there to be 'token woman'. While Mitchell and Brooker actually are capable with satire.

It wants to be The Daily Show meets The Friday Night Project , the latter being the failing.

Mitchell seems oddly nervous during the interviews, but I guess that's going to be something he'll just take a bit of time getting used to. The nervous cough and the constant full names being the main example of that. Brooker is awesome though; Carr's alright and Lauren Laverne was always going to be the weak point. I'll still watch it next week though, it's been quite good.

As long as they give enough time to the satire and interviews and not the silly skits, the show will do better.

Hell, why not just rip off The Panel? A show that was successful in Ireland (originated in Australia). Comedians, sitting around a table discussing the weekly news and interviewing guests. Rather than just doing a Friday Night Project style show.

Yeah, if it was up to me I'd probably have Mitchell conducting the serious, in-depth interviews since he obviously knows the most, Laverne conducting little pointless side interviews since she needs something to do I guess, Brooker having an extended satire bit and Carr doing rape jokes or something. I think they could just get rid of Carr, to be honest. I get that Laverne's the obligatory woman but Carr's a bit out of place. Oh, and they should never do that WNN shit again. Horrible.

So in summary, replace Jimmy Carr with Chris Morris, lose the audience, call up Armando Ianucci and make it the 21st century version of the Friday/Saturday/Election Night Armistice that some of us (old bastards like me) have been waiting for forever.

It wasn't bad, but the audience is all wrong (Channel 4 audience, come see Jimmy Carr do comedy! Ignore the political stuff and laugh at the name 'Balls'). I did enjoy David Mitchells interview bits though, and they did get the right guests for the first show to ease him in. Charlie Brookers recorded bits were ace as usual, but seemed weird with laughter attached. Good concept though since political satire isn't as high on the priorities list of the BBC as it was in the days of SNA, The Day Today, or even going back to Spitting Image, so I will keep watching, thanks C4.

Edit: Keep Lauren simply because I love her, but WNN was horrendous. Was she putting an accent on for random words? And was the fella Charlie Brookers pissed up American reviewer who is usually a lot funnier?

Edited by Colly

Just watched. WNN was wank, but I too love Laverne, and people suggesting replacing her, it'd be stupid, because say you do get a 'good woman comedian' in, it just cuts down the time other's have, which you'd complain about, or she'd get shafted, which you'd complain about. I think the current 4-people will work. The problem with Jimmy Carr was his main gags were a bit shitty, but his 'off the cuff' stuff (when they were talking etc) were really good. Mitchell was awesome.

The audience can fuck off.

Whelp, put me in with the same complaints.

Laverne needs to leave, like now, she ruined any potential interaction between the three people who were actually... y'know... doing anything, and she's a waste of space as always. They could've at least got somebody who wasn't the arse of the north. They switched subjects too often, they either need to do it multiple times a week or stick to one or two subjects a week, nothing got properly covered. They need to let someone other than fucking students in, between the moronic cheering, the whooping and hollering and the general pandering to the morons it was almost painful to watch.

Carr didn't feel like he quite belonged, but I think that's probably something he'll overcome. They need Mitchell on pure politics, Brooker doing entertainment and Jimmy Carr just generally ripping the shit out of whatever he sees fit this week (preferably the audience itself). Again, Laverne needs to get out of the entertainment industry.

It had a lot of potential, the first episode disappointed on a large scale, but it still showed a lot of the potential that could be solved with a simple re-format and potential schedule alteration.

Whelp, put me in with the same complaints.

Laverne needs to leave, like now, she ruined any potential interaction between the three people who were actually... y'know... doing anything, and she's a waste of space as always. They could've at least got somebody who wasn't the arse of the north. They switched subjects too often, they either need to do it multiple times a week or stick to one or two subjects a week, nothing got properly covered. They need to let someone other than fucking students in, between the moronic cheering, the whooping and hollering and the general pandering to the morons it was almost painful to watch.

Carr didn't feel like he quite belonged, but I think that's probably something he'll overcome. They need Mitchell on pure politics, Brooker doing entertainment and Jimmy Carr just generally ripping the shit out of whatever he sees fit this week (preferably the audience itself). Again, Laverne needs to get out of the entertainment industry.It had a lot of potential, the first episode disappointed on a large scale, but it still showed a lot of the potential that could be solved with a simple re-format and potential schedule alteration.

Fuck right off.

I wouldn't like Millican in the Laverne role, especially if as the series goes on, she falls back more into what she was doing on the election special.

The only replacement for Laverne who's an actual comedian I'd happily take/think would fit is Holly Walsh. I love Millican, and I also love Josie Long (I'm just naming the comediennes I actually like now), but Long's too bubbly and Millican's too droll. Laverne, not a comedian, but she's funny (hell, she was funnier on Mock The Week than the majority of women comics), takes up a small spot of the show (which people would moan about if someone like Sarah Millican was on, because either she'd cut into someone elses time, which people would bitch about, or they'd be 'wasting her') and she's fucking hot.

Her segment was horrible though, but that wasn't Laverne, that was the writing. NOBODY could have made that work, it was shit.

• Like 1