Dead Island

DJ Ice

[YT]

Release Date: To Be Announced'

Dead Island is a survival horror first-person shooter with RPG elements, currently in development by Techland for Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

The game will be published by Deep Silver, but so far no release date has been revealed.

It is an open-ended game, centered on the challenge of survival on a zombie-infested island. The game uses a first-person perspective. However, the developers are claiming that the game will be far beyond a typical first-person shooter experience, mainly due to a bigger emphasis on melee combat, role-playing elements and a clear focus on story-telling. IGN has revealed the game is still in development.

Im down with a whole bunch of online play with some straight up survival. I dont want it over the top zany like dead rising gets to be, and not so much a shooter as left for dead either. Basically a horde of zombies and few options but to run and fight where you can, thats what Im looking forward to. If they can give me that, Im a happy man. Something different yet not too alien to jump into.

Glad you made this its own topic, DJ Ice, since its multiplatform and all.

As for the action, i don´t know... Zombies are running in the Trailer so i don´t think this will go down as a first person MGS.

The Trailer was recut in the right order by someone.

It´s a little bit of Lost (the music), a little bit of memento (the way they cut it) and feeding of whats famous in gaming right now... i bet it will sell, question is how much it will stand on it´s own.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

From what I heard, there's not going to be any kind of crazy weapons or anything, just whatever you'd find on an island when you're on vacation. That actually sounds really cool. I'm really curious as to how this turns out and I'm going to check out what people say about it before picking it up.

The gameplay sounds really just like Left4Dead Rising which may or may not be a bad thing, but the trailer was immense. Theres a lot that can go wrong between making a pretty trailer, and actually making a good game, but it's got my interest, hopefully it'll be a fun multi game if nothing more.

Nice, let´s hope that stais true.

Fair, but my concern is whether a first person action game based almost solely on melee combat is going to hold up for hour and hours of gameplay. Don't get me wrong, I was hella impressed with the trailer (and somewhat shocked - though appreciative - at the use of the dead kid), just going to curb my enthusiasm for a bit.

I just hope that they don't cave to any last minute jitters and decide that this hotel should have a store room in it with enough firepower to equip a small European army in it. :shifty:

Hopefully it will be like those times in Res Evil where you ran out of ammo and run around shitting yourself.

The best trophy to get in Mirror's Edge is to complete it without killing anyone.

I can't see how that's possible towards the end but I'd love to give it a go just cos it's cooler to knock the guards out and throw their weapons away rather than to shoot them.

I love the idea of struggling to survive. We've played countless zombie games with all the ammo we could ever want - this should be a refreshing change.

...providing there's variety in the weapons, anyway. So basically a less arcadey version of Dead Rising with no crazy weapon combo's/guns. :shifty:

• 2 months later...

Hopefully the final game is more polished. As it is it still seems quite awkward and the physics, considering it's a game that's based on melee attacks, don't look very impressive. I'm six minutes in and a lot of the potential it had has nowhere near been touched.