The Survivor Thread

sahyder1

Season 6 and 7 are regarded as top tier seasons amongst many. 

Just to give you a break down of how your ebbs and flows will go: Season 8 was detested at the time but people who did binge watches mostly enjoy it. 9, 10, 11 and 12 are well regarded and seen are pretty good. 13 and 14 are generally disliked. 15 and 16 will probably hook you onto the show and make you watch it till the end. 15 is great for a narrative and characters and 16 has the most frantic strategy. 

6 and 7 is when the idea of flipping on alliances really comes to fruition. In season 4, there was a flip but it was to form a new alliance that stayed consistent for the rest of the game. 6 and 7 are extremely unpredictable in that people are more volatile - players flip back and forth a lot.  

I dunno I actually don't even remember S8 and S11. S14 I didnt like the actual concept of it, but it got better as the season went on imo. 15 and 16 were good along with 18 and 20. 

Now that I think about it, theres quite few seasons that are very forgettable. :s

I just finished Thailand tonight.

Yeah, it definitely is the worst of the seasons so far, but it's not *terrible*. Like, it's around Africa level, although Africa has generally more likeable people.

I have to say though that I think Brian is an amazing player. I mean he really did make no mistakes, bar the "writing in the sand" thing. Definitely harkens back to the Ted/Ghandia misunderstanding through he said/she said stuff. The little editing callbacks throughout the season really worked well too. Brian's blindside of Ted is so obvious when you look back at all the little hints he gives throughout the show. Maybe it was a little cold but he did everything he had to do to win. It says a lot that Helen - who he fucked over the most, really - still voted for him.

Also, I guess knowing he won beforehand (which I didn't with Vecepia) perhaps made it SO obvious he was winning, but the signs were there from the start. Guy got the power game right from early on.

Overall though...yeah, a bad bunch. The purple team were awful bar Shii Ann and Robb may be my least favourite Survivor so far. Ghandia and Ted both came out of their fight badly. Clay was just pretty awful. I liked Helen eventually, and the fact Jan got to F3 is hilarious. 

I do wonder what would have happened if they had merged and Shii flipped at 10. If she had allied with the right people, they could have got Clay out. But Brian just seemed to have everyone in his back pocket.

I had Robb ready to be on my most hated list until his last night when he seemed to really realize he was a bag of dicks and I feel if he didn't get voted out the next day he would have become a lot more likable.  Brian did play well in that he got the power and his entire strategy relied on getting Clay to the end because who the hell would vote for Clay?  It all seemed to unravel for him during the jury questions but like Helen said, despite it all, he was the lesser of two evils.  I think that is what made him a smart player, put anyone else in the final 2 with him and he would have lost.

Onto Amazon and I figured the opening swerve would happen eventually.  So far this season seems to be more about "hot girls" than anything and the guys are coming off like a bunch of sexist idiots.

Edited by Azazel

Amazon was rather enjoyable simply because it because very unpredictable thanks to Rob being all over the place.  Nobody stood out as hateable the entire season, which was nice.  I wouldn't put anybody in the top 10 for likable either though.  This season was the most noticeable when it came to players losing weight for some reason as well.

My own personal rankings.

Favorite Season:
1. Outback (Season 2)
2. Borneo (Season 1)
3, Amazon (Season 6)
4. Africa (Season 3)
5. Marqueses (Season 4)
6. Thailand (Season 5)

I'm 7 minutes into Survivor Panama and Rupert has already my favorite to win it.  Also, is that Johnny Fairplay?  I know he was made famous for being a dick on Survivor so I was expecting him at some point.

Nevermind, he name dropped himself like 20 seconds later.  Also, I am shocked to learn that Rubert did not play Ogre in Revenge of the Nerds or Ray Jackson in Bloodsport.

Edited by Azazel

Slightly past the merge, Rupert has easily become my favorite castaway.  I don't really like having people come back, but I guess they want to continue to evolve the game and make it more interesting, maybe I'll change my opinion once it plays out.  I literally cannot tell the difference between Burton and Shawn, so that change means nothing to me, althought it likely means less arguing with Johnny Fairplay.  Also, Rupert straight out telling Burton why he was voted off seems to have made him realize his mistake so he might not there to screw them over.

Osten, fuck that guy.  He gave up like three different times and then just quit.  I don't like Lil but I would rather see anybody else there but him.  I also have to give the award for dumbest move to Michelle.  Her role was to act digusted and like she can't drink the seafood blend... then she just downs it like nothing and wonders why they didn't pick her for the finals.

Finished Pearl Islands and it was easily my favorite season since Outback.  Had a super likable character, a good villain and was really unpredictable.  I didn't like seeing people brought back, but I understand they are constantly changing the game and this will likely be the only time I have an issue with it since nobody expected it and it kind of screwed over a lot of people.

Rupert was easily my favorite castaway so far for so many reasons.  Johnny Fairplay is obviously a little shit but for some reason people actually listened to his bullshit, but he didn't come close to the most hated castaway for me.  That goes to Lillian.  Seriously, fuck her.  She whined and cried and would flip sides constantly, once it got down to the final 3 I knew she didn't have a chance in hell of winning and couldn't fucking stand how she would basically cry because everybody wouldn't guarantee her a spot in the final 2.

Apparently they aren't allowed to have relationships on the island, but I think the jury and Sandra thoroughly fucked Lillian at the final tribal council.  Pointing out that she was voted out and got to come back and screw every member of the jury over, I'm not surprised only one person voted for her because she was the least deserving person to be in the final 2 ever.  Johnny Fairplay would have probably beaten her since he seemed competent enough that he could have swayed a few people to vote for him.  Sandra was kind of deserving to win, I think only Rupert, Johnny and and Darrah would have been better choices to win.

Watched just the first episode of All-Stars to see who was on it, I like the three tribe idea, more possibilities.  Plus Richard being Richard is great.  Who the hell is Jenna though?  She's the only one I didn't remember.

My own personal rankings.

Favorite Season:
1. Outback (Season 2)
2. Pearl Islands (Season 7)
3. Borneo (Season 1)
4, Amazon (Season 6)
5. Africa (Season 3)
6. Marqueses (Season 4)
7. Thailand (Season 5)

Favorite Castaways:
1. Rupert (Pearl Islands)
2. Colby (Outback)
3. Richard (Borneo)
4. Michael (Outback)
5. Elizabeth (Outback)
6. Kim P (Africa)
7. Ethan (Africa)
8. Rodger (Outback)
9. Big Tom (Africa)
10. Tammy (Marqueses)
11. Lex (Africa)
12. Rob (Amazon)

Least Favorite Castaways:
1. Lillian (Pearl Islands)
2. Ghandia (Thailand)
3. Sean (Marqueses)
4. Clay (Thailand)
5. Osten (Pearl Islands)
6. Johnny Fairplay (Pearl Islands)
7. Jerri (Outback)
8. B.B. (Borneo)
9. Kathy (Marqueses)
10. Mitchell (Outback)
11. Kelly (Borneo)
12. Kelly (Africa)

Maybe because I already knew about it that it didn't really phase me as much.  I think it went outside the spirit of the game and I was really hoping they would completely out him, I think giving them the letters from home was an attempt to try to get the lie outed indirectly by the show runners.  Shitty move but it didn't really get him anywhere, I don't think he lasted longer because of it, all he got was to hang out with his friend for a day.

In the end I despised Lillian, Osten was a little bitch for giving up as well.  I didn't like Fairplay but I disliked other people a lot more.

6 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Maybe because I already knew about it that it didn't really phase me as much.  I think it went outside the spirit of the game and I was really hoping they would completely out him, I think giving them the letters from home was an attempt to try to get the lie outed indirectly by the show runners.  Shitty move but it didn't really get him anywhere, I don't think he lasted longer because of it, all he got was to hang out with his friend for a day.

In the end I despised Lillian, Osten was a little bitch for giving up as well.  I didn't like Fairplay but I disliked other people a lot more.

That shit was huge at the time. If they tried to do anything to prevent something like this happening again, they'd be insane. It's one of the most memorable moments in the history of the show. 

Yeah, that's true. Sandra is amazing. 

I also had a huge crush on Ryan O (maybe also this his nickname sounded like Rhino). It was honestly close up there with my crush on Colby. And like, re-watching it, I have no idea why. I also didn't think Savage was a dick his first time around (I didn't love the Outcast twist but I've learned to love that Survivor isn't always fair). My opinion of him would change later on, mind you.

Allstars is an interesting season, they targeted all the strong players at the start and left a group of people that can't figure out Rob is screwing them all.  Seeing more Rich was great because he's just such an ass that it's entertaining.  Also, I remembered why I liked Lex at the start of Africa, then he once again went and did something incredible stupid and made me remember why I stopped liking him as much.  Sadly I know who wins this season so it's less enthralling.

I'm sure some people turned down allstars, but on the male side you pretty much have the 9 people you would expect from the first seasons.  Michael might have been a good pick as well but it would be hard to justify replacing anyone.  On the girls side, it looks like they had to dip down and pick up Jenna, Alicia and Shii Ann.  Shii Ann is probably because they needed somebody from Thailand and the picking were really slim from that season.