General Football Thread

Starvinho

1341 FOOTBALL: Five Brighton footballers and an AFC Bournemouth player have been arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting a woman.

Innocent until proven guilty, but worse case scenario this is a pretty depressing story to be hearing. Six men arrested of sexual assault on a woman? Shocking no matter how many of them but six of them?

And I'll also say that no, Titus Bramble hasn't signed for Brighton or Bournemouth this transfer window. Just to get in there before Gazz no doubt comes along to say.. :shifty:

1341 FOOTBALL: Five Brighton footballers and an AFC Bournemouth player have been arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting a woman.

Innocent until proven guilty, but worse case scenario this is a pretty depressing story to be hearing. Six men arrested of sexual assault on a woman? Shocking no matter how many of them but six of them?

And I'll also say that no, Titus Bramble hasn't signed for Brighton or Bournemouth this transfer window. Just to get in there before Gazz no doubt comes along to say.. :shifty:

Don't believe it.

Also, Americans playing football

FIELD GOAL!

Shut the fuck up. This is the kind of bullshit I didn't want to hear. All you ever do is piss on the US team. WELL, YOU GOT YOUR FUCKING AMMO! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? HUH? ARE YOU HAPPY, YOU LITTLE BITCH?

• Like 11

• Admin

By the way, the AFCB player in question is Steve Cook - he just made his loan to Bournemouth permanent this window.

Chris Coleman has been unveiled as the new Wales manager to replace the late Gary Speed.

The Football Association of Wales confirmed Coleman's appointment at a Cardiff news conference on Thursday.

Coleman said it was one of the proudest moments of his career but also a difficult situation.

"We're still all shocked by what happened [with Gary Speed] and we're still grieving," said Coleman.

"And the only way we can put smiles on fans' faces again is to continue to win matches but I don't think we'll ever get over the loss of Gary.

"I've already spoken with the FAW members... and I said 'excuse me if I don't seem that excited, I am excited, I'm just a little bit subdued because of the circumstances'.

"It won't be easy but I'm looking forward to it. I think for any manager who was going to come in it was going to be difficult because of the situation and it's more difficult for me with my relationship with Gary.

"...It's not going to be easy, but it's something I'm prepared for.

"On one hand it is the proudest moment of my career but on the other hand, with the circumstances I was very close friends with Gary for 30 years.

"It is the most difficult press conference I am ever likely to do."

The FAW's chief executive Jonathan Ford admitted it had been a difficult time since Speed's death in November 2011.

"We have explored every avenue, every scenario possible," said Ford.

"We have taken on board the thoughts and views of the backroom staff, the players and the supporters.

"All along we believe that we have been respectful and dignified and had no wish to be involved in a public debate on the appointment of Gary's successor.

"Gary was the manager of Welsh football and of course we want to continue his legacy.

"He was not a figurehead, he was the manager and that is why we have decided on the appointment of Chris Coleman to build on the excellent foundations put in place by Gary."

Former Wales international and Manchester City manager Mark Hughes added: "I think he'll [Chris] do a great job and respect the legacy Gary left behind."

Former Fulham boss Coleman was contacted by the FAW last week after resigning as manager of Larissa because of financial problems at the Greek club.

John Hartson, another former Wales international, was the only other candidate to publicly announce his interest, while Ryan Giggs and Ian Rush had been suggested as possible "figureheads".

Coleman joined Larissa in May 2011 as he attempted to resurrect his managerial career after a year out of the game.

His last job in England was with Coventry City, but he was sacked in 2010 after a difficult two and a half years in charge.

Before joining the Sky Blues, a promising start as manager of Real Sociedad ended in resignation following internal upheaval at the Spanish club.

Injuries suffered in a car accident cut short Coleman's playing career at the age of 32. His last match was a brief appearance as a substitute in a 1-0 win against Germany to win his 32nd Wales cap.

But his managerial career began less than a year later when he was appointed by Fulham following Jean Tigana's dismissal.

He spent four years in charge at Craven Cottage, leading the club to their then highest Premier League finish of ninth, before being sacked in 2007.

A Cheshire football club has been left "homeless" after their stadium was sold to an unknown buyer.

Northwich Victoria was issued with a notice to vacate their Victoria Stadium on Monday after the ground was sold by receivers to an unnamed purchaser.

The club has until 17:00 GMT on Thursday to leave the ground, which has been its home since 2005.

Club secretary David Thomas said the sale had left the club in a "very precarious" position.

The identity of the stadium's buyer is unknown and there was no indication as to what would happen to the stadium after the sale was completed.

The club's board had been trying to buy back the stadium from receivers Deloitte under the name Northwich Victoria Developments (NVD).

A spokesman for the receivers said it was "with some regret that we have come to this stage and it is clearly a time of great concern for the supporters of a club with a long history".

"However, after providing NVD with several years to find the required funding to acquire the stadium, this has not been forthcoming and so the principal chargeholder and their agents have been left with no option but to consider alternative offers for the site," he said.

Mr Thomas said that Northwich Victoria's chairman Jim Rushe was seeking legal advice on the club's position.

He said once the deadline had passed, the club would be "homeless".

"We play Saturday's away fixture, but after that, we're looking desperately to find ourselves a ground," he said.

Northwich, formed in 1874, play in the Northern Premier League.

The team were one of the founder members of the Football League's second division in 1892 and won the FA Trophy in 1984.

The club sold their original ground, the Drill Field, in 2002 and, following three seasons ground-sharing with local rivals Witton Albion, moved to the Victoria Stadium in 2005.

On Monday, the club's manager Andy Preece resigned to join Welsh Premier League side Airbus UK.

His assistants Andy Morrison and Darren Ryan also left the club.

Beer must be sold at all venues hosting matches in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, football's world governing body, Fifa, has insisted.

Fifa General Secretary Jerome Valcke said the right to sell beer must be enshrined in a World Cup law the Brazilian Congress is considering.

Alcoholic drinks are currently banned at Brazilian stadiums and the country's health minister has urged Congress to maintain the ban in the new law.

Brewer Budweiser is a big Fifa sponsor.

Mr Valcke is visiting Brazil to press for progress on the much-delayed World Cup law.

Fifa has become frustrated, because voting on the legislation has been held up in Congress by the dispute over alcohol sales.

The Brazilian government has also failed to resolve differences with Fifa over cut-price tickets for students and senior citizens, and demands for sponsors of the World Cup to have their trademarks protected.

In remarks to journalists in Rio de Janeiro, Mr Valcke sounded frustrated with Brazilian officials:

"Alcoholic drinks are part of the Fifa World Cup, so we're going to have them. Excuse me if I sound a bit arrogant but that's something we won't negotiate," he said.

"The fact that we have the right to sell beer has to be a part of the law."

Alcohol was banned at Brazilian football matches in 2003 as part of attempts to tackle violence between rival football fans.

The measures have had limited impact, says the BBC's South American football correspondent Tim Vickery.

In order to drink, supporters tend to stay longer outside stadiums, areas that are harder to police than inside.

Much of the football violence in Brazil stems from club rivalries, our correspondent notes. Fans who follow the national side tend to be wealthier and include more women and families.

Health Minister Alexandre Padilha and other members of Congress have called for the ban to be maintained.

Mr Valcke said negotiations with Brazil over details of the World Cup had been slow.

"We lost a lot of time and we were not able to discuss with people in charge that are willing to make a decision," he said, adding that it was the first time a country was still in talks five years after winning the right to host the tournament.

During his visit to Brazil, Mr Valcke has been touring the stadiums in 12 cities where the 2014 World Cup will be played.

He criticised the pace of construction and said Brazil had not yet improved its infrastructure to the level needed to welcome visitors.

Another note on Coleman - he won;'t be taking charge of the Costa Rica game, out of respect to Gary Speed.

Edited by Lineker

Expected Coleman to take the job, even moreso after seeing him as the pundit for the Swansea/Arsenal game, people ready to take on managerial jobs seem to start to ingrain themselves in the public eye before making the move. I know very little about him though, so be interesting to see if he can keep Wales moving towards qualification.

Hmm, I wondered the issue of alcohol when they chose Quatar as the host for 2018. Be interesting to see how it develops in Brazil though, not that it should be compulsory, but no doubt someone is losing money if they can't sell beer in the stadium.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

It also appears now that Larissa (Coleman's preview club), are sueing the FAW.

Ah shit, it's Russia in 2018 right? I'm sure there's not as much problem with alcohol over there :shifty:.

Apparently Quatar are developing 'Alcohol zones', although the source I've read it from is hardly credible.

Also, Americans playing football

FIELD GOAL!

Shut the fuck up. This is the kind of bullshit I didn't want to hear. All you ever do is piss on the US team. WELL, YOU GOT YOUR FUCKING AMMO! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? HUH? ARE YOU HAPPY, YOU LITTLE BITCH?

Dude, not even US fans like Robbie Findley. He's the worst.

• Admin
Brazil legend Pele says Barcelona's Argentina star Lionel Messi has a long way to go to be considered his rival as the greatest player of all time.

Messi, 24, has won Fifa's Ballon d'Or for the best player in the world for a third successive year.

But Pele thinks he needs to improve for Argentina and score more goals.

"When Messi's scored 1,283 goals like me, when he's won three World Cups, we'll talk about it," Pele told French newspaper Le Monde.

Messi has won the Champions League three times with Barcelona, as well as five league Spanish league titles.

But his only triumph with the national team was at the 2008 Olympics - while Pele's Brazil won the World Cup in 1958, 1962 and 1970.

The 71-year-old said: "I like Messi a lot, he's a great player. Technically, we're practically at the same level.

"He's a great player for Barcelona, but when he plays for Argentina he doesn't have the same success.

"People always ask me: 'When is the new Pele going to be born?' Never. My father and mother have closed the factory."

So, Pele comes across as a bit of a dick?

Pele kind of has a point though... its fine being the best player in the world when you are surrounded by ten other players who are up there. Messi does not perform at international level with a top top country, and looks very average at times. However players like Maradonna and Pele shone everywhere they played and more than helped in winning trophies everywhere they went, be it domestic football or international.

• Like 1

I think to a lot of extents and purposes as well, Pele just sees Messi as an extension of Maradona and dislikes him that way. He said a while ago that Neymar was (it might have been 'will be', but I think he said 'was') better than Messi." That's not him saying Neymar is better than Messi, that's him saying Pele was better than Maradona.

Think the pair of them need to grow up to be honest. Maradona is more vilified than Pele because Pele didn't actively cheat against England therefore he gets cast as the good guy in their rather pathetic little soap opera they're still having when people stopped caring long ago.

Maradona doesn't feel the need to mention it whenever asked though. Plus the 'ten other great players' thing can be levelled at Pele very easily in at least two of his world cup wins, which it can't at Maradona whether for Argentina or Napoli.

Plus his two billion goals thing is silly. I'm pretty sure that counts all the rehearsal goals against Sly Stallone while filming Escape to Victory.

Edited by Colly