General Football Thread

Starvinho

I thought Ramsey was well up for it? I thought him and Bale posing in the kits was the reason that it's been back in the spotlight recently?

We can obviously manage without them - but if Wilshere is fit he wouldn't be going anyway, because he'll be at the Euro's with England and they said nobody would be selected for both tournaments. Steven Fletcher is a quality player as well but I couldn't see us choosing him as one of our 'over 23' players when Beckham and Giggs are both in contention. Goodwillie refuses on Scottish grounds presumably, but I am baffled as to why Gardner, Delfouneso and Fielding have refused? They're all Englishmen and Fielding especially had a great chance to play at the tournament, why would they refuse?

EDIT: And yeah I'm sorry but that's an appalling attitude jack95. Two seasons ago I watched Danny Welbeck playing on loan at Preston, down at the back end of the Championship. He's doing alright now, isn't he? There are players who would be in top contention to compete for us at the Games who are playing for sides like Derby, Brighton and Watford. Your point is nil. Curious to know who you support!

Edited by AdamDRFC

Gardner is an Aston Villa player who has just spent a month on loan at Championship whipping boys Coventry. I'm sure the FA were crushed to hear he isn't available.

:rolleyes:

Gardner is fantastic and has an amazing future ahead of him.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/2011-11-28/next-steven-gerrard-talksport-talent-spotter-presents-gary-gardner

But yes, he must be shit. He doesn't play for one of the Top 6. :o

The videos on the link are worth a watch, to be honest.

Why on earth have they contacted as many as 191 players?

It also included potential call ups for the women's team.

Also, if you think about it, asking the U21 squads of all four home nations is probably 90-100 players.

Can I just say while we're getting all indignant at jack95, its the players attitude thats in question frankly. He's just played on loan for a Championship team and he's turning down the chance to play on a fairly major stage in the Summer under the leadership of a man directly below the England boss (not to mention his U21s boss who I'm sure is very impressed he's said no, Pearce of course famously unpatriotic...). The presence of Delfounso suggests its a Villa rule, but the player has final call on it.

Besides which with the options Pearce has I very much doubt he is devastated, so jacks right anyway.

Edited by Colly

If the club says no, it'd be dangerous to go against their wishes. I wouldn't say Gardner's attitude is in question at all.

And yes, I'm sure jack is right.

I can't see this being discussed anywhere, anyway. Kinda doubt it's legitimacy. Didn't Fletch say he wanted to play?

The seven are:

Gary Gardner

Aaron Ramsey

David Goodwillie

Stephen Fletcher

Jack Wilshere

Frank Fielding

Nathan Delfouneso

I don't give a fuck about them. They won't be missed.

I should probably point out that I just made these up to see if anyone would believe me.

• Like 12

Isn't the Olympic's an Under23s competition? I imagine it's going to end up being a load of kids plus Beckham and Giggs and how many other over age players they can field.