General Football Thread

Starvinho

I'm gutted for Abidal but it's like MM says, he probably has been through the worst of his disappointment when he found out he would need a liver transplant. Still, main news is him surviving and that's good enough for me.

I've been randomly watching ESPN classic for the last hour or so and there's some lovely stuff on. I often watch 80s games but they've just shown the 1960 European Cup final and its fucking ace. Di Stefanos dropping fucking lollipops (stepovers if you aren't Ron Atkinson) all over the shop. Lovely stuff.

Edit: And John Motsons just explained how Maniche got his name. Facts!

Edited by Colly

Madness in France. PSG have beaten Lorient 2-1 but the Auxerre v Montpellier match was delayed for 20 minutes after a stoppage, they came back out and then the Auxerre fans threw a flare on the pitch and pretty much are protesting their relegation to the point they won't even let Montpellier close out the most important moment in their history. If Auxerre score again, when they get this match completed, then PSG will be the champions.

Bordeaux won 3-2 against St. Etienne to get the Europa League spot alongside Lyon and Marseille, them two and Rennes - who won 5-0 against Dijon - were fighting for the final spot and it looked like Rennes might take it but Bordeaux got a winner.

Auxerre will be joined in Ligue 2 by Dijon and Caen who both lost limply in their final games and allow Sochaux to complete a bit of a Houdini act and survive until next season. What a great season it has been, full of twists and turns and some phenomenal players - and of course it's still not quite over as Auxerre v Montpellier continues!

I remember when we invaded the pitch against Ipswich in the hope that we wouldn't get relegated if we never let the game end. :shifty:

Edit: I assume that's why some Auxerre fans are holding up the game.

They were already relegated before today's match - think it's just more a case of them voicing their displeasure in the final home game of the season/being dicks.

John Utaka has scored his second on the night! The title is going to Montpellier for the first time ever! Unbelievable..

..Jeff..

How?

Sorry, left you hanging. Named after Michael Manniche (pronounced Manniker), Danish forward who played for Benfica. I had no idea. Brilliantly I checked his wiki for the spelling, and one of the 'for... see...' is Manish from the football league show.

Unbelievable, this is like...Hull? maybe...winning the Preier League. They only got promoted back to the top flight in 2010. They apparently spnt £2 million on transfers for this season? Bit less than PSG...

Unbelievable, this is like...Hull? maybe...winning the Preier League. They only got promoted back to the top flight in 2010. They apparently spnt £2 million on transfers for this season? Bit less than PSG...

Not exactly, I mean, it's a remarkable achievement but it's not quite the same as Hull winning the Premier League. But still, well done Montpellier.

It's hard to really define it, yeah they did just come up recently but they have some very talented players in their squad such as Giroud and Belhanda. That said they've never won the title ever before, finding a team that fits the mould completely is a bit of a challenge. I think if push came to shove it'd maybe be a West Brom or Fulham style team, but like I say it's hard to really put them in a category. The achievement is remarkable and that's all that matters though, and as football fans we can all understand the situation - even if we can't place a team to give it a more familiar understanding.