General Football Thread

Starvinho

Fabio Aurelio, who played about 2 games for Liverpool in the last two seasons, has ruptured a knee ligament and will be out for six months in one of his first training sessions for new club Gremio.

Poor Fabio :(

:(

Fabio was great but, boy, a light breeze could do him serious injury it seems.

Javi Martinez, Igor Martinez, David de Gea, Cesar Azipilicueta, Christian Tello, Iker Muniain, Juan Mata are all involved. They've named 22 I think and will have a final squad of 18 I believe.

Edited by IAceI

Fabio Aurelio, who played about 2 games for Liverpool in the last two seasons, has ruptured a knee ligament and will be out for six months in one of his first training sessions for new club Gremio.

Too bad for him. If he didn't get injured so often, I bet Jose Enrique wouldn't be starting for Liverpool.

Too bad for him. If he didn't get injured so often, I bet Jose Enrique wouldn't be starting for Liverpool.

Erm, yes he would. Aurelio's fitness doesn't change the fact Enrique is a better player.

:(

Fabio was great but, boy, a light breeze could do him serious injury it seems.

Gave us some great goals did Fabio, always liked him and was always gutted when he was injured. Best thing about him would certainly be his freekicks, scored some fantastic goals against the likes of Chelsea and Man.Utd.

But the lads just too prone to injury :( Gutted for him

Wait, so being at the Euro's doesn't actually stop you from playing in Team GB? We just decided to shoot ourselves in the foot? Christ, I'd have definitely taken Rooney and just incurred the wrath of SAF afterwards. Oxlade should've gone too.

Wait, so being at the Euro's doesn't actually stop you from playing in Team GB? We just decided to shoot ourselves in the foot? Christ, I'd have definitely taken Rooney and just incurred the wrath of SAF afterwards. Oxlade should've gone too.

If course not, that was just the usual pandering to the Premier League and to managers who believe that three extra games will ruin a players season. While Spain just keep winning things.

And yep the likes of the Ox and Jones not going is daft.

Edited by Colly

I would have at least put the likes of Phil Jones in the squad, considering he didn't even play a minute at the Euro's.

The older members aside none of the Euro Squad should need the rest, especially back ups who did nothing.

Who cares either way they're gonna lose.

I care because this is my country and I want them to do well. And plenty of teams have used it as a way to give their youth players a chance to get international tournament experience, vital if we're going to have players like Jones and Ox in our future England squad. We're also hosting, so it'd be nice not to humiliate ourselves.

Yeah but when a strong GB side gets battered by what will likely be a large chunk of Brazils World Cup team before the Olympics even start how will we build our hopes up stupidly? Better a bunch of Welsh kids get battered then we can start talking about it being our time after the rebuilding Euros...

Edited by Colly

Yeah but when a strong GB side gets battered by what will likely be a large chunk of Brazils World Cup team before the Olympics even start how will we build our hopes up stupidly? Better a bunch of Welsh kids get battered then we can start talking about it being our time after the rebuilding Euros...

Scotland held out in a friendly against a mesh of the current Brazil squad and the youngsters, didn't lose too badly. Sure friendlies are different (WE BEAT SPAIN!) but since we'll have a flat back 7/8, we shouldn't get beaten too badly.

Scotland held out in a friendly against a mesh of the current Brazil squad and the youngsters, didn't lose too badly. Sure friendlies are different (WE BEAT SPAIN!) but since we'll have a flat back 7/8, we shouldn't get beaten too badly.

It was quite some time ago, and the team back then is much different to the team now. I'd say we improved a lot offensively, but without Thiago Silva and David Luiz, our defence is terrible.

Edited by RafaelFms

Erm, yes he would. Aurelio's fitness doesn't change the fact Enrique is a better player.

.....No.

Edited by RafaelFms

It was quite some time ago, and the team back then is much different to the team now. I'd say we improved a lot offensively, but without Thiago Silva and David Luiz, our defence is terrible.

Do you mean you'll do poorly at the olympics because you'll be without Silva and David Luiz (I'd have Lucio over him anyway in a full strength Brazil, maybe put Luiz in CDM with Lucas Leiva or Sandro)? Dede is quite young and should be going, no? Haven't seen anything announced for their team but them, Spain and Argentina are the best three teams in my mind for this tournament.

Do you mean you'll do poorly at the olympics because you'll be without Silva and David Luiz (I'd have Lucio over him anyway in a full strength Brazil, maybe put Luiz in CDM with Lucas Leiva or Sandro)? Dede is quite young and should be going, no? Haven't seen anything announced for their team but them, Spain and Argentina are the best three teams in my mind for this tournament.

We'll be with Silva and Luiz. But....take a look at our back-up defenders Bruno Uvini and Juan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZh1kbYDWp4

I'd pick Lucio too, but right now Brazil is looking to renew the squad.