General Football Thread

Starvinho

Newcastle have two rather obvious magpies, kids seem to like em. I used to go to Bradford occasionally with my uncle who brilliantly had at least two bantams, plus the City Gent who was just a fat bloke in a bowler hat. Plus cheerleaders.

In terms of fun, Roary the Lion from the Boro once aimed a hail of obscene gestures at a few of us when we worked there one summer, seeing a giant feline crotch chopping is always fun.

Love the idea of 'Arry being the next Russia manager.

That's another brown envelope job, isn't it? Wasn't Abramovich paying Hiddink's wages when he was in charge?

Is that Gazza thing actually a serious thing?

Diego Maradona has been sacked from his role as manager of United Arab Emirates side Al Wasl after 14 months in charge.

And that BBC article has a typo!

2008: Put in charge of Argentina. Led his country to the qaurter-finals of the 2010 World Cup

• Admin
A Derbyshire football club's stadium is being renamed The Devil Made Me Do It Ground after a local tattoo studio won a raffle to provide a new name.

Clay Cross Town FC organised the draw for businesses in the area as part of an exercise to rebrand the club, formerly known as Parkhouse FC.

The Central Midlands Football League side's ground will share the tattoo parlour's name for all of next season.

The club said the "wacky" name had created a lot of interest in the town.

Committee member Martin Roberts said the idea to raffle off the naming rights to the stadium, formerly known as Mill Lane, was part of a promotional push for the club.

He said: "We were trying to promote the club, and the town itself.

"We sold advertising over the summer and anyone who took sponsorship with us could purchase a further ticket which would allow them, if they were drawn out, to name the ground after their business.

"So the draw took place and the shop with the longest name in Clay Cross was pulled out. Now their name will be on the ground for the full season.

"It's a nice wacky name and it's created a lot of interest."

Tattoo studio owner Rob Clements said: "The name comes from one of my favourite songs.

"I paid £10 for the raffle ticket but I never win so I was quite shocked when our name was drawn out.

"But watch any game on TV now and all the footballers have a lot of tattoos - so it's good in that sense."

Mr Roberts said: "If Coca Cola or any other major companies are interested in having their name on the ground they should get in touch - but it's gone for this season."

• Admin
Ex-Southampton captain Francis Benali has denied there was a culture of spot-fixing at the club following comments from old team-mate Claus Lundekvam.

Lundekvam's claims that players would collude to "spot-fix" certain outcomes, in the Premier League, is now being investigated by Fifa.

But Benali says he saw no evidence of illegal betting at Southampton.

"I can say categorically I have no knowledge of the betting allegations made by Claus," Benali told BBC Solent.

In an interview for Norwegian television, Lundekvam, who was at Southampton between 1996 and 2008, is said to have admitted players pooled money and gave it to club staff to place bets on things such as who would win the first corner, the first throw-in and yellow cards.

Benali says that was not the case and questioned the motives behind the allegations.

"I'm aware of the revelations and I'm very surprised in many ways," he said.

"I wasn't aware of it going on in the past so I certainly don't know of it going on now.

"It is widely known that Claus has had quite a few personal problems in recent times and I wonder if that is why he has come out with this story.

"The way it has come across, it's like all of us were at it and all in on the betting scam and everyone had knowledge of it. That wasn't the case."

A statement isssued by football's governing body on Wednesday said: "FIFA is monitoring this issue and involved its chief investigator in England. Once all information is known it will be decided who is leading the investigations."

In 2009, former Saints playmaker Matt Le Tissier admitted betting on the timing of a first throw-in and attempting to kick the ball out of play deliberately when he was at Southampton - a year before Lundekvam's arrival.

Benali who made 371 appearances for Saints between 1987 and 2004 says he would known of any illegal betting at the club.

"Dressing rooms are very tight environments and if something was widespread, even if you weren't part of it, you would hear it being discussed and talked about," he said.

"That is why this all comes as such a surprise.

"The timing isn't good from the football club's point of view. No club wants a story like this associated with them, nor do the city or the players involved at the time.

"It's a smear on your character and not nice, especially when it's not true."

England U19's are currently 1-1 with ten man Greece in the European Championships. Missed a penalty but Benik Afobe scored an equaliser, 15 minutes left of normal time here. Greece falling down all over the parish.

Nathan Redmond just came on for Saido Berahino and thanks a pitch side microphone you can hear Noel Blake repeating, about four times, "Don't do anything silly." It's sound advice like this which is why we're such a dominant nation in football. :shifty:

Winner will play (and probably lose to) Spain or France who kick off later (it'll probably be Spain). That kicks off at around 6ish. And unlike us Spain actually have their best players of the age group actually allowed to come and play. Jese Rodriguez and Gerard Deulofeu are particularly very good.

Edited by IAceI