General Football Thread

Starvinho

How's Suso, Conor Coady and Jack Robinson been playing? I haven't watched any of it but I know them three are participating in the tournament but I'm really excited by the prospect of Suso.

Suso has been good for Spain, and played both out wide and as well as in a holding midfield role. Robinson has been steady enough from what I've seen and Coady has had diminishing game time as the tournament has gone on, and hasn't featured at all today, although in fairness they've been largely attacking Greece for most of the match.

And as I type that Greece counter attack and score in the 107th minute. Shocking defending.

England go out 2-1 AET to 10 man Greece. Chalaboah's poor defending pretty much let Lykoginannis in who lobbed Sam Johnstone. A total inability to do the basics properly is once again England's issue, stray passes, over hit crosses, poor decisions all on a consistent basis. England's players are as talented if not more talented than 90% of the players there but that incapabilities when it comes to making the right choices with the ball is what sets them apart from the others and ultimately costs them, and that's something that can be said of England are nearly every level - not just here.

Off for a game of tennis and will watch the other semi final later tonight. Can't see Spain getting beat but their defence isn't always the most reliable at this level, prone to a few mistakes so wouldn't be surprised to see both teams get on the score sheet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18864565

Who's the best player in Europe? Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Sergio Aguero, Robin van Persie, Les Davies?

Bangor's Les Davies nominated for Uefa's best player in Europe award

Bangor City's Les Davies has been included on a 32-man list of players nominated for Uefa's best player in Europe award.

The 27-year-old is on a list which also includes Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

The long-list was drawn up by one selected journalist from each Uefa member country voting for their five best players.

A single nomination, believed to be from a Welsh journalist, was enough to earn Davies's place.

"I wouldn't have expected this in a million years," said Davies.

The list also includes 13 Premier League players, with five from champions Manchester City.

Davies joined Bangor City from Glantraeth in 2003 and spent a spell at Porthmadog before returning to Bangor in June 2007.

The winger is a former Welsh under-21 international and has also represented Wales' semi-professional under-23 side.

The Uefa award ceremony will take place on 30 August in Monaco.

Uefa best player in Europe long list: Aguero (Manchester City), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Balotelli (Manchester City), Blaszczykowski (Borussia Dortmund), Buffon (Juventus), Casillas (Real Madrid), Cech (Chelsea), Coentrao (Real Madrid), Davies (Bangor City), Drogba (Shanghai Shenhua), Fabregas (Barcelona), Falcao (Atletico Madrid), Hart (Manchester City), Ibrahimovic (AC Milan), Iniesta (Barcelona), Kagawa (Manchester Utd), Kompany (Manchester City), Lampard (Chelsea), Messi (Barcelona), Modric (Tottenham), Ozil (Real Madrid), Pepe (Real Madrid), Pirlo (Juventus), Ramos (Real Madrid), Raul (Al-Sadd Sports Club), Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Rooney (Manchester Utd), Silva (Manchester City), Torres (Chelsea), Y Toure (Manchester City), van Persie (Arsenal), Xavi (Barcelona).

Here's the man himself's explanation:

ALL 53 judges representing each Uefa member country are asked to choose their top five contenders for the Best Player in Europe award.

Bangor City striker Les Davies was one of my choices as I feel he was the best player in the Welsh Premier last season and deserves much wider recognition than he has received.

People might look at the low seeding Welsh Premier clubs have in Europe and ask me if this is a wind up, but I am deadly serious.

I feel Les is an outstanding striker whose reputation has rocketed in the last couple of seasons.

Every time he plays for Bangor City in Europe he makes life hell for all defenders and I think he would also do this against better players at a higher level.

I was chosen as Wales' Uefa representative last year too and on that occasion we were asked to choose our top three. I opted for Lionel Messi in first, Cristiano Ronaldo second and Bangor City's Michael Johnston third.

At the Best Player in Europe ceremony in Monaco last August, we had to whittle our choice down to one out of Messi, Ronaldo and Xavi Hernandez. I went for Messi, who was the eventual winner.

People asked me then if I was serious in nominating Michael Johnston and my reply was “of course I was – I cover the Welsh Premier week in, week out and he's one of the best defenders I've seen”.

It's the same with Les Davies. He's a good, old fashioned centre forward who plays well and gives his all week in, week out.

It's only right and proper to celebrate the talented players our Welsh Premier League possesses.

This year each Uefa judge was asked to choose five players initially and my choices are Messi, Ronaldo, Andres Iniesta, Joe Hart and Les Davies.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/welsh-football-league/2012/07/17/les-davies-deserves-uefa-nomination-says-the-journalist-who-voted-for-him-post-sport-s-dave-jones-55578-31408698/

I was with him until he described him as a 'good old fashioned centre forward who gives his all'. Tool.

No, it's still utterly absurd to suggest that someone who plays for a side barely better than a pub team should be considered for an award like this.

Better take Raul and Drogba off the list as well :shifty:

• Like 1

I do not see a problem with this. If a guy in the Northern Irish league can earn a nomination for Goal of the Year from FIFA then this can be a thing too.

No, it's still utterly absurd to suggest that someone who plays for a side barely better than a pub team should be considered for an award like this.

If somebody is that far above his peers I don't see why he shouldn't be nominated. It's who, in his opinion, is the best player in Europe. The way he started off describing the guy he sounded like some sort of superhuman. Of course by the end it transpires that he's just your Kevin Davies type and the journo has a hard on for physicality and workrate like most Brits, but I don't think it's the case that all of Europe's best players are concentrated in the top six or seven leagues at all.

As I said at the end, though, he comes across as a tool from that piece and probably shouldn't even have a vote to begin with.