2011 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Starvinho

I get that Tiote doesn't play football the way they like it in Brazil but you can't deny he's been effective in the English league where a completely different style is needed if you want to survive.

Then I don't get it. Every single Brazilian player that got in the Premiership never changed his style of play, they just bulked up a little.

I thought the dig was because he thought you were Brazilian, even though I'm pretty sure that I remember you as either Spanish or Portuguese <_<

Nope, he's Brazilian. Or at least lives in Brazil.

Edited by Pesci

Kevin Nolan having a medical at West Ham. The fact that this looks like it's going through may just knock Asamoah Gyan being offered around Football Manager style off the top of my "ridiculous transfer news" for the week.

Nolan must be getting SERIOUS money, shares in the club and a promise of daily filthy sex from Karren Brady. He had a great season at Newcastle - don't they love him up there now?

I still stand by my opinion that McLeish's dodgy relationship with the Brum board was over the removal of his 'Bend Karen Brady over whenever I damn well feel like it' clause in his contract.

Though me and Hamster have always had a thing for her :pervert: .

Arsenal are lining up a sensational bid to bag Jermain Defoe from arch-rivals Tottenham.

The England forward is looking at his options after being frozen out at White Hart Lane last season.

Tottenham are understood to be willing to listen to offers for the man who started only 16 League games.

The striker, signed for £15.75million from Portsmouth two years ago, could now become the fox in the box the Gunners have long been crying out for.

That'll go down well. :shifty:

Read some comments in response to the Modric bid story saying stuff like "If Torres is worth £50m then so is Modric!!" and so forth.

Yes. Because if we are to accept Torres for £50m (and Carroll for £35m etc.) as the new standard of transfer norm instead of undesirable freak occurances then Spurs will never be able to afford any good player ever again. So, you know, good luck with that.

I'm not sure Modric is worth as much as £30m, personally. But then I can't say I've ever payed very close attention to Tottenham's midfield in action, so I don't really have the context to make that call.

• Admin

Modric is irreplacable. Furthermore having bought him for £16m, the club would want to make a significant profit on him if he were to go. Not that he will, he claims to be happy at the club and has 5 years left on his contract.

So he'll be gone this time next week then :shifty:

Luka Modric is easily worth £30m I'm afraid. Bought for 16m, contract doesn't expire until 2016, just coming off the back of an awesome season and only 25. That's pretty much how you have to measure prices these days. Why would they sell him for less when he doesn't seem the type of player to kick up a fuss and they have him for half a decade longer anyway?

List of released Premier League players, some are worth a signing for sure I think

ARSENAL: Thomas Cruise, Roarie Deacon, Mark Randall.

ASTON VILLA: Durrell Berry, John Carew, Ellis Deeney, Calum Flanagan, Harry Forrester, Arsenio Halfhuid, Isaiah Osbourne, Robert Pires, Nigel Reo-Coker, Moustapha Salifou.

BIRMINGHAM CITY: Marcus Bent, Lee Bowyer, Sebastian Larsson, James McFadden, Mitchell McPike, James O'Shea, Stuart Parnaby, Kevin Phillips, Daniel Preston, Luke Rowe, Robin Shroot, Maik Taylor.

BLACKBURN ROVERS: Jordan Bowen, Jason Brown, Zurab Khizanishvili, Benjani Mwaruwari, Michael Potts, Maceo Rigters.

BLACKPOOL: David Carney, Daniel Coid, Ishmel Demontagnac, Rob Edwards, Jason Euell, Marlon Harewood, Richard Kingson, Malaury Martin, Paul Rachubka, Andy Reid, Salaheddine Sbai.

BOLTON WANDERERS: Tamir Cohen, Johan Elmander, Ricardo Gardner, Joey O'Brien, Jlloyd Samuel, Samuel Sheridan.

CHELSEA: Samuel Hutchinson, Carl Magnay, Danny Philliskirk, Jan Sebek, Michael Woods.

EVERTON: Kieran Agard, Hope Akpan, Nathan Craig, Gerard Kinsella, Lee McArdle, Iain Turner.

FULHAM: Zoltan Gera, Edward Johnson, Diomansy Kamara, John Pantsil, Matthew Saunders.

LIVERPOOL: Jason Banton, Deale Chamberlain, Douglas Cooper, Sean Highdale, Steven Irwin, Nikola Saric.

MANCHESTER CITY: Javier Garrido, Scott Kay, James Poole, Shaleum Logan, Andrew Tutte, Javan Vidal, Patrick Vieira, James Wood.

MANCHESTER UNITED: Conor Devlin, Owen Hargreaves, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes, Edwin van der Sar.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Sol Campbell, Shefki Kuqi, Patrick McLaughlin.

STOKE CITY: Abdoulaye Faye, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Ibrahima Sonko.

SUNDERLAND: Michael Kay, Nathan Luscombe, Daniel Madden, Robert Weir, Nathan Wilson, Mvoto Jean-Yves, Bolo Zenden.

TOTTENHAM: Jonathan Woodgate.

WEST BROM: Giles Barnes, Marcus Haber, Dean Kiely, Abdoulaye Meite.

WEST HAM: Anthony Edgar, Holmar Eyjolfsson, Daniel Gabbidon, Lars Jacobsen, Filip Modelski, Jonathan Spector, Adam Street, Matthew Upson.

WIGAN ATHLETIC: Steven Caldwell, Daniel De Ridder, Joseph Holt, Jason Koumas, Thomas Lambert, Thomas Oakes, Francis Pollitt, Abian Serrano Davila.

WOLVES: Adriano Basso, Jody Craddock, John Dunleavy, Marcus Hahnemann, David Jones, Nathan Rooney.

Chilean, would probably prefer a move to Spain (stereotyping a bit but probably true), would slot in the 3-man strike force alongside Villa and Messi pretty much immediately leaving Pedro and Jeffren backing up as it seems Bojan isn't impressing as much as they like, all makes sense doesn't it?

Easily the financial clout to pull it off and would make an improvement in their team ten-fold you'd suspect. It's not like when they're linked with midfielders and you wonder how they will be picked ahead of Xavi, Iniesta or Busquets (Toure when he was there). There is a gap pretty much waiting for him to fill

---------- Messi -------------

Villa ---------------- Sanchez

----Iniesta---------Xavi------

---------- Busquets ----------

That seems even more fearsome than they currently have. And if you imagine all the top teams in the world going for Sanchez, Utd, City, Barca, Real etc. you can only really imagine there'd be one winner in Barca.

That said it'll be disappointing that after helping Udinese to the CL he will be moving on, but such is life.

Edited by IAceI

Demba Ba to Newcastle in the next 24 hours, according to BBC. Haven't really took much notice of him in all honesty, so I'm not sure how good he is. But hey, he's 26 and he's on a free (I think?), so it's another player we can turn around for a profit.

• Admin

Some talented names on that list. Upson, Woodgate, Spector, Jacobson, Gabbidon, Larsson (hopefully following McLeish across the city), Gera & Hargreaves.

All could fit into Premiership teams still.

Larsson to Sunderland is apparently all but signed now.

Demba Ba to Newcastle in the next 24 hours, according to BBC. Haven't really took much notice of him in all honesty, so I'm not sure how good he is. But hey, he's 26 and he's on a free (I think?), so it's another player we can turn around for a profit.

He managed to score seven goals in twelve games for the worst team in the league last year. And end up as their top goalscorer. He's not bad.

Ba is good but I think he has a slightly suspect knee, it's what did him over at the medical at Stoke and I think it might be a more recurring problem than just a one-off injury? Either way he's a good player and should do a decent enough job, and yeah I think he's on a free per a relegation-stipulation in his contract.

Regarding Larsson, it's been going on since Birmingham went down that we're about to sign him. I was starting to get disillusion because all the media reports were that we were leading the chase and were on the brink, but nothing ever seemed to happen so I've started to think it may not happen. Until he signs I'm not getting too worked up but he would be a welcome addition to the club as we need a set piece taker and he's an all round good player who will ease the problems with players leaving, but we'll wait and see.