2011 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Starvinho

• Admin
Manchester City are in discussions with Arsenal over the possible signing of French international defender Gael Clichy, BBC Sport has learned.

The 25-year-old full-back, who joined the Gunners from French club Cannes in 2003, is out of contract at the Emirates at the end of next season.

Clichy reportedly told Arsenal he wanted to leave last month, and had been linked with Liverpool and Roma.

But City have emerged as rivals for his signature and could table a £7m bid.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger faces an anxious time with playmaker Cesc Fabregas again being linked with Barcelona.

Midfielder Sami Nasri has also been tipped to leave the club, and is thought to be a target for both City and Manchester United.

The Gunners, who return for pre-season training next week ahead of a tour of Malaysia and China, have been strongly linked with a move for Bolton defender Gary Cahill.

But Wenger recently claimed that it will be late into pre-season before there is significant movement in the transfer market.

"We are in a waiting period, everybody is waiting," said the Arsenal boss in an interview with Alsace TV.

"Everybody has their cards in their hands, hoping for the big transfer. There is nothing moving yet. The period will be more active at the end of July when we will need to really strengthen the team."

Lille's Ivory Coast star Gervinho claims he is on the verge of sealing his move to Arsenal.

Gervinho has been one of Arsene Wenger's top transfer targets this summer and it appears he is set to land his man.

The Ivory Coast international, who has also been linked with Tottenham in the past, claims only a few minor details need to be sorted before he can complete his switch to Arsenal.

"I chose Arsenal because it's a young group within which I will be able to integrate easily," Gervinho told France Football. "I could develop more over there. There's only a few details left to sort out."

Asked if it was a risk swapping first-team football at Lille for a place in a squad with more competition for places, the forward replied: "A risk? Not at all. I'm going to Arsenal to play. The best risk to take is to look to score goals and to play a lot.

"In football you have to take risks if you want to win. I'm going to Arsenal to win."

Gervinho insists he had no worries the move would happen despite delays over the transfer as Arsenal and Lille tried to thrash out a deal.

"I had no hesitation," continued Gervinho. "None. But in a transfer there's always a period of analysis and negotiations. All sides had to be satisfied so that things could develop smoothly.

"I'm going there to play, not to be on the bench. Arsenal love the game. And I love teams that love the game. The Premier League is a notch above [the rest]. It's maybe the best league in the world. I want to live that sensation."

• Admin

Darren Pratley has joined Bolton on a four-year deal for free.

We've loaned Steven Caulker to Swansea until the end of the season with the option to review the arrangement in January. Good signing for them, he is class and could easily be a future England player no doubt. Did well at Bristol City last year.

Skysports.com understands Andy Reid is undergoing a medical at Nottingham Forest ahead of completing a return to the City Ground.

Reid started his career with Forest and made over 150 appearances for the club before leaving for Tottenham Hotspur in January 2005.

The Republic of Ireland midfielder is now on the brink of finalising a deal to rejoin the Championship side on a free transfer.

If the deal goes through, the 28-year-old will become Steve McClaren's first signing since the former England boss took charge at Forest.

Reid spent the second half of last season at Blackpool, but made just five appearances for Ian Holloway's side after arriving from Sunderland.

McClaren is keen to improve his squad ahead of mounting a promotion push next term and Reid's experience would be a valuable addition.

Forest are also interested in Bristol City striker Nicky Maynard and have held talks over a deal for former Derby County midfielder Giles Barnes.

Sky Sources half the time end up being twitter.....

Still i've seen PSG have been linked with Hazard as well.

Newcastle United have completed the signing of 18-year-old Mehdi Abeid from Lens on a five-year deal.

Also when did Arsenal become Man.Citys feeder club?

If Brown is fit, he's a very good defender. We don't need Hitz and Parker. I'd take Parker in a heartbeat if available. I'd also take Hitz (as he's free), would be a nice feel good moment when he trots back out in the real Claret & Blue.

• Admin

Neymar has said that he intends to honour his contract with Santos until it expires in 2015. I'll be amazed if he's there until then.

Swansea City are on the verge of signing Barcelona B striker Jonathan Soriano, BBC Wales Sport understands.

The Swans have refused to reveal the identity of their latest target, but have confirmed that a deal is imminent.

Soriano, 25, was the top-scorer in Spain's second tier last term with 26 goals, attracting interest from Wigan.

"I will be meeting with the representative of a player that we feel will be perfect for Swansea City," said chairman Huw Jenkins.

"He has the talent that would fit in to the style in which we believe in, and we are hopeful of him coming here."

Soriano joined Barcelona's reserve side in 2009 after spending seven years on Espanyol's books, during which time he scored against Swansea in a 4-0 friendly win in 2008.

The Spain Under-21 international scored 32 goals from 37 appearances in all competitions last season, prompting Italian side Udinese and French outfit Marseille to also show an interest.

"By flying out to meet his representative, I hope we can agree a deal within the next few days," added Jenkins of his trip to Europe.

"We will talk about what we want to achieve as a club, and what the player wishes to achieve too."

Having already broken the club's record transfer fee for £3.5m striker Danny Graham, the Swans are ready to spend again as they aim to build a squad capable of competing in their first season in the Premier League.

Highly-rated Tottenham Hotspur defender Steven Caulker has also moved to south Wales on a season-long loan, while full-back Angel Rangel rejected advances from other top tier clubs to sign a new contract.

A goalkeeper remains a top priority following the loss of Dorus de Vries to Wolverhampton Wanderers, and Darren Pratley's decision to leave for Bolton Wanderers has created a space to fill in midfield.

Defender Ashley Williams, himself a reported target for Premier League rivals, acknowledges the squad needs new faces in order to cope with the demands of a unrelenting season.

"We need a bit more, just in terms of a bit more depth in the squad," said Wales international Williams.

"It's a long season in the Premiership. Sometimes you see teams, like Blackpool, who fade in the second half [of the season], so I don't think we want to do that.

"I'm sure the board and the gaffer have got their targets."

They're rumoured to be after Kuszczak who'd be a decent signing. I'm sure with De Gea signing on the writing is on the wall for him at United anyway.

They'll find a replacement, Scott Carson was painfully average and mistake prone, those type of keepers are in mass supply. Maybe they could go for someone like Almunia, Fabianski or Craig Gordan, loads of options.